Luck of the Draw
Add Reply
Dhu on Gate
2024-10-07 22:38:30 UTC
An interesting, and useful, contemplation:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/oct/07/the-big-idea-should-we-be-thinking-about-luck-differently

with which I must disagree on a small point:

"Of course, we wouldn’t be here to muse on our good fortune
if this chain of events had not occurred, and this
“survivorship bias” means that it is philosophically
challenging and, I believe, rather pointless, to talk
about the probability of our existence."

I don't think it is at all pointless to point out
how fucking Lucky we are to be here at all: a bunch
of bugs on a rock spinning around a giant nuclear
fireball.

HooRah!

Dhu
--
Je suis Canadien. Ce n'est pas Francais ou Anglais.
Duncan Patton a Campbell
Dhu on Gate
2024-10-09 06:14:50 UTC
Post by Dhu on Gate
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/oct/07/the-big-idea-should-we-be-thinking-about-luck-differently
"Of course, we wouldn’t be here to muse on our good fortune
if this chain of events had not occurred, and this
“survivorship bias” means that it is philosophically
challenging and, I believe, rather pointless, to talk
about the probability of our existence."
I don't think it is at all pointless to point out
how fucking Lucky we are to be here at all: a bunch
of bugs on a rock spinning around a giant nuclear
fireball.
HooRah!
Dhu
However I am guessin' that the rigors of living
off-planet, where the only way to stay alive
will be to stay smarter than the rocks, will
have some inverse effect to what hunting the
wily bean for a living has done to us down
here on Urth:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/the-human-brain-has-been-getting-smaller-since-the-stone-age

The first society to viably establish off planet
is on the path to Something More ;-)

Dhu