Help in the War on Ridiculously High Gas Prices.
Mr X
2004-05-13 20:36:33 UTC
United We Stand, Divided We Fall.

Let's see what the "Little Guy's" really CAN do.

Well, let's see if it has any impact. Can't hurt as much as the gas
prices do right now.

How To Get Control of our Gas Prices

Gas has just hit close to $1.00 a Litre - Campbell River is at 96.5 -
Nanaimo at 91.5. If you want gasoline prices to come down we need to
take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth, offered this
good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy gas on a
certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil
companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue
to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an
inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever
thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.
Please read it and join the crusade!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at $.80 a litre is
super cheap. We all know that we're being screwed by the oil
companies. Does everyone remember how they drove up the prices way
past a dollar and got the gas prices to where they wanted them,
claiming there was a shortage of oil. Well, there isn't any shortage
- the oil is more abundant than it was 35 years ago when the price of
a litre of gas was 29 cents!!!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to
think that the cost of a litre of gas is CHEAP at $0.78-$0.85, we need
to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more
each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going
to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the
pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT
hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just
stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act
together to force a price war.

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two
biggest companies (which are now one), PETRO CANADA and SHELL. If they
are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.
If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow
suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of
PETRO CANADA and SHELL buyers. Its really simple to do!!

I am sending this note to at least thirty people. If each of you send
it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to
at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the
message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached
over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and
pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have
been contacted!

Please send this to 10 people.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to
ten people within one day of receipt, all MILLIONS of people could
conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we
can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this
message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $0.64 OR LESS
RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK BUT WE NEED TO WORK
TOGETHER!!!!!!!

PLEASE take a few minutes and pass this on to everyone you know!! If
you can't e-mail it to at least ten people, print copies and hand it
out to your family and friends!!

--
Blue Raven Seaside Bed & Breakfast
1971 Kaltasin Rd Sooke BC

250-642-3392 phone
250-642-3192 fax
notritenoteri
2004-05-13 20:50:00 UTC
Great idea but won't work. The only way a boycott will work is to cut
consumption. Not buying from the two major refiners means nothing to them.
They supply all the independents anyways its the same gasoline just sold
under a different label. The independents would just raise prices to cover
the raised wholesale price. Also there is only so much refining capacity in
the country or near the border and I would suspect that the independents
would be hard pressed to get enough gasoline to match current demand without
using the 2 major refiners.

Buy a moped or walk
250-642-3192 fax
Haximus
2004-05-13 21:28:09 UTC
Post by notritenoteri
Great idea but won't work. The only way a boycott will work is to cut
consumption. Not buying from the two major refiners means nothing to them.
They supply all the independents anyways its the same gasoline just sold
under a different label. The independents would just raise prices to cover
the raised wholesale price. Also there is only so much refining capacity in
the country or near the border and I would suspect that the independents
would be hard pressed to get enough gasoline to match current demand without
using the 2 major refiners.
Cutting consumption is the best idea.

Then again the #1 status symbol of our society is 'conpsicuous consumption.'
Karl Pollak
2004-05-14 01:20:26 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Haximus
Cutting consumption is the best idea.
Then again the #1 status symbol of our society is 'conpsicuous consumption.'
Right. Go tell your grocer to hitch up his horse and go to the farm
himself to get your fresh vegetables. You fucking idiot.
Greetings from Lotusland
notritenoteri
2004-05-14 12:30:29 UTC
Pillock, before you shoot off your pie-hole you should have a look around
you. There are ways to cut consumption and a lot of companies are doing it.
Why do you think trucking companies are using the biggest possible trucks
they are allowed to on the highway? It is not because they want less truck
for the sake of numbers.
BTW is pretty fucking difficult for Loblaws to drive a team and wagon to
South Africa for oranges in the Canadian winter
Post by Karl Pollak
x-no-archive: yes
Greetings from Lotusland
Haximus
2004-05-15 18:11:05 UTC
Post by Karl Pollak
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Haximus
Cutting consumption is the best idea.
Then again the #1 status symbol of our society is 'conpsicuous consumption.'
Right. Go tell your grocer to hitch up his horse and go to the farm
himself to get your fresh vegetables. You fucking idiot.
If a grocer's suppliers become more fuel efficient it means lower costs for
the consumer while the grocer becomes more competitive. Finding ways to
lower fuel costs is just good business sense," you fucking idiot."
Karl Pollak
2004-05-14 01:20:25 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by notritenoteri
Great idea but won't work. The only way a boycott will work is to cut
consumption. Not buying from the two major refiners means nothing to them.
They supply all the independents anyways its the same gasoline just sold
under a different label.
I beg to differ. While they may be selling to the indies, their own
dealers will raise hell if they can't make a profit. No oil company can
afford to try to ride out a slump in their sales by selling the surplus to
the indies while their own distribution net is going down the toilet. They
will not destroy their own dealer network.

I think the idea is reasonably sound. Consumer boycotts as a rule do not
work anyway, but if you can make two companies see a drop in their sales it
will send at least a strong signal to them that they dick around with the
prices at their own peril.
Post by notritenoteri
Buy a moped or walk
Neither is a good option for most people, especially not for those who need
their own trasportation in order to earn a living.

But leaving that part aside, almost everythign you buy in any store got
there by truck. If you do not put any pressure on the oil companies to get
reasonable about the price of fuel, all consumer prices will rise in very
short time. The producers and distributors of goods and services cannot and
will not absorb increased fuel costs.

Your riding a moped is not going to do anything about consumer prices being
forced up by costs of gasoline and diesel.
Greetings from Lotusland
notritenoteri
2004-05-14 12:39:16 UTC
Go ahead differ. First off the typical dealer is owned and in bondage to his
supplier. The number of independents is probably miniscule compared to brand
dealers. If the 10% rule holds Canada consumes about 10% of what the US
does and I wonder how much effort it would take to divert refined products
to the US? The refiners don't give a shit who they sell it to as long as
they get their price. Do you really thing the suits at Petrocan give a damn
if some east Asian family can't sell enough pop and chocolate bars at their
quick-stop to cover the lost gasoline sales revenue?
Post by Karl Pollak
x-no-archive: yes
Greetings from Lotusland
Haximus
2004-05-13 21:14:37 UTC
How about some real common-sense solutions and not these nonsense Internet
and e-mail campaigns that are most ineffective? The only thing that can
force people and industry to change are economics just like the '70s fuel
energy crisis did to North America. Amazing how those Japanese scooped
right into the domestic market with their fuel efficient econony sedans and
they have been going strong ever since. Hybrids like the Toyota Prius
should be #1 sellers soon. A few ideas to save on personal fuel costs:

Trade in your guzzler for something a little more economic.

If you need an Urban Assault Vehicle try a Honda Accord or a Ford Focus.

Do you really need a 5.0 liter to commute to work in stop and go traffic?

Ride a bike.

Move closer to work and/or work at home.

Buy a bus pass.

Motorcycles are fun to ride and cheap to insure.

Car pool.

Buy groceries once a week instead of everyday.

Vacation closer to home.

On the highway, keep track of fuel efficiency at the speed limit vs. your
favourite driving speed, choose the speed most cost-effective.
250-642-3192 fax
Barney
2004-05-14 05:53:14 UTC
Post by Haximus
Trade in your guzzler for something a little more economic.
If you need an Urban Assault Vehicle try a Honda Accord or a Ford Focus.
Do you really need a 5.0 liter to commute to work in stop and go traffic?
Ride a bike.
Move closer to work and/or work at home.
Buy a bus pass.
Motorcycles are fun to ride and cheap to insure.
Car pool.
Buy groceries once a week instead of everyday.
Vacation closer to home.
On the highway, keep track of fuel efficiency at the speed limit
vs. your favourite driving speed, choose the speed most
cost-effective.
I lived through that in the previous "Fuel Crisis". The oil companies
don't care how little you consume. They want to make the same profits
(better profits) at least cost. The less refineries they need, the
less cost they have. They make more money now then they did when we
ran big V8s in the old land yachts.
The public also dosen't tolerate economy cars. V6s are not economical
and yet that is what most consumers want in their cars. Apparantly
it's safer to beat the other driver to the next red light.
"I'm not into name calling. That's best left to the Morons and
Idiots"
notritenoteri
2004-05-14 12:25:29 UTC
again the ideas are great but won't work. Changing cars is not a free
exercise unless you really trade down. As an example if you spend $2000 for
a new smaller more fuel efficient car that will cover the added cost
(25cents/litre)due to high prices of about 8000 litres of gasoline. At 10km
to the litre thats 80,000km . At 800 km a week thats 100 weeks or 2 years of
driving. All this doesn't include carrying costs of the $2000 to pay for
the car change. I hope my arithmetic is right, I wouldn't want the
perfectionists to get heartburn. All money is Canadian dollars and the
assumption is gasoline will rise from about 75 cents/litre to $1.00/litre.

Moving closer to work is just a great idea if there is suitable, affordable
accomodation available. I wonder if there are any 3 acres sites within
walking distance of where I used to work at a price I can afford.

Riding a bike is good idea but the January morning a are tough when there is
15cm of fresh snow.

Its true you don't need 5 litre engine in stop and go driving but hey how
else yah gonna show the world your a stud? Most offices object to guys
going into work with their slongs hanging out of their shorts. While bare
breasts are perfectly legal in Canada I haven't heard that they are popular
in a work environment especially pendulous ones near moving machinery or hot
fat.

What if there are no buses where you live?
Have you priced a Harley lately or tried to buy insurance? Beside they don't
make snow tires for them as far as I know.
Vacation? Who can afford a vacation? Besides it is un-American taking time
off to enjoy all the stuff you and the credit card company share ownership
of. You are supposed just work to consume not enjoy.
face it we is FLucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
250-642-3192 fax
Haximus
2004-05-16 17:21:31 UTC
Post by notritenoteri
again the ideas are great but won't work. Changing cars is not a free
exercise unless you really trade down. As an example if you spend $2000 for
a new smaller more fuel efficient car that will cover the added cost
(25cents/litre)due to high prices of about 8000 litres of gasoline. At 10km
to the litre thats 80,000km . At 800 km a week thats 100 weeks or 2 years of
driving. All this doesn't include carrying costs of the $2000 to pay for
the car change. I hope my arithmetic is right, I wouldn't want the
perfectionists to get heartburn. All money is Canadian dollars and the
assumption is gasoline will rise from about 75 cents/litre to
$1.00/litre.

Everyone buys a new vehicle eventually. Just make fuel economy a main
purchasing factor.
Post by notritenoteri
Moving closer to work is just a great idea if there is suitable, affordable
accomodation available. I wonder if there are any 3 acres sites within
walking distance of where I used to work at a price I can afford.
I'm referring to people who commute two, three, four hours a day, twenty-two
working days a month, twelve months a year.
Post by notritenoteri
Riding a bike is good idea but the January morning a are tough when there is
15cm of fresh snow.
Doesn't stop the harcore types in Whitehorse and Yellowknife.
Post by notritenoteri
Its true you don't need 5 litre engine in stop and go driving but hey how
else yah gonna show the world your a stud? Most offices object to guys
going into work with their slongs hanging out of their shorts. While bare
breasts are perfectly legal in Canada I haven't heard that they are popular
in a work environment especially pendulous ones near moving machinery or hot
fat.
Good marketing tactic, relate masculinity to the horsepower. How about just
make fuel-efficient vehicles really noisy? It seems to be more about noise
than power, the louder the better. I call it the Harley Davidson Syndrome
where perception is that shattering eardrums make people notice and respect
you, and somehow represent your masculinity.
Post by notritenoteri
What if there are no buses where you live?
Have you priced a Harley lately or tried to buy insurance? Beside they don't
make snow tires for them as far as I know.
Vacation? Who can afford a vacation? Besides it is un-American taking time
off to enjoy all the stuff you and the credit card company share ownership
of. You are supposed just work to consume not enjoy.
face it we is FLucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All I can say is I laugh at gas stations when I ride my bike to work. I
usually get there faster on the pedally bike too.
250-642-3192 fax
notritenoteri
2004-05-16 23:18:35 UTC
Guys that commute 100 Kms to work every day one way need more than a fuel
efficient car they need a train service.
YAh I've been to Whitehorse and I've ridden bikes in 35 below too. I've
also walked home 10 km through a foot of snow but I wouldn't want to do it
every day. As to Whitehorse you can throw a 10 pin bowling ball from one end
to the other and I imagine Yellowknife is much the same.
If you mean everyone has to replace their commuting vehicle periodically
that is true but unless the company is paying they are likely to be used and
fuel efficient anyways. I've owned econoboxes and higher end cars and higher
end is better.

Slong size and horsepower are just one example of marketing techniques. If
someone came to you and said for $70,000 we will sell you a house that we
can practically guarantee in fact we will guarantee that it will
disintegrate after 20 years you'd tell them to shove it wouldn't you yet
over 20 years you'll pay the same $70k for a couple of cars to provide some
transportation but mainly to pump your self image without a murmur. After
lashing out $30k or more likely $40k whats an extra 10 bucks on a fill up?

Good for you and your bike. I laugh too as I sit in my study looking out
the window at all the poor souls on their way to the mines.
Never forget working sucks.
Post by notritenoteri
to the litre thats 80,000km . At 800 km a week thats 100 weeks or 2
years
Post by notritenoteri
of
Post by notritenoteri
Riding a bike is good idea but the January morning a are tough when
there
Post by notritenoteri
is
250-642-3192 fax
Al Kaufmann
2004-05-18 14:30:08 UTC
You made a lot of good suggestions and I have cut down my gasoline
consumption so that my insurance costs per kilometer is triple that of
my gas cost. :-( It is almost time to trade in the car and I am
seriously thinking of just getting rid of it and using taxis when
required for local trips or rent a car if I really need one for a long
trip. It would definitely be much cheaper than the car depreciation,
insurance and gas. Maybe the taxi companies just need to make it
easier to arrange a taxi - one button calling?

I don't think much will change unless there is a shortage and the
government needs to ration gas. Lets see those SUV drivers laugh
about paying for the high gas prices when they can only get 50 liters
per month.

Ak

u***@127.0.0.1
2004-05-13 22:01:12 UTC
More abundant? How can a non-renewable resource become more abundant?
Barney
2004-05-14 05:55:02 UTC
Post by u***@127.0.0.1
Post by Mr X
oil is more abundant than it was 35 years ago when the price of
a litre of gas was 29 cents!!!
More abundant? How can a non-renewable resource become more abundant?
More accessible!
"I'm not into name calling. That's best left to the Morons and Idiots"
notritenoteri
2004-05-14 12:32:33 UTC
depends on the definition of abundent. Better extraction and new discovers
make crude more available.
Vince
2004-05-14 18:47:25 UTC
Post by u***@127.0.0.1
Post by Mr X
oil is more abundant than it was 35 years ago when the price of
a litre of gas was 29 cents!!!
More abundant? How can a non-renewable resource become more abundant?
I think he's referring to the oil that hasn't been found yet. That
might be why we have more today than in the 70's.
Darren
2004-05-14 21:24:13 UTC
Post by Mr X
For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two
biggest companies (which are now one), PETRO CANADA and SHELL. If they
are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices.
If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow
suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of
PETRO CANADA and SHELL buyers. Its really simple to do!!
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $0.64 OR LESS
RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK BUT WE NEED TO WORK
TOGETHER!!!!!!!
Yawn.... both companies would simply close their doors if this campaign ever
actually had an effect... they'd sell all their stations and capital to
Chevron, Arco, Husky etc... and we'd be right back in the same boat.... (not
that this scheme will work.... it is extremely hard to maintain discipline
in a group of one dozen, let alone millions).

It's amazing how this scheme continues to make the rounds.

Darren