A Missed Opportunity
TomP
2018-03-11 22:45:37 UTC
I watched a news story of a steel cylinder manufacturer in the United
States who was affected by the tariffs put on steel. He was saying that
because of the tariff it will now cost him 25% more to build his
cylinders and he will now be able to buy manufactured steel cylinders
from China cheaper than it costs him to buy the roll steel. The
cylinders from China were a manufactured product and not subject to the
tariff.
The Trudeau government was panicking and did a record amount of lobbying
with US government officials to exempt Canada from this tariff. If the
Trump administration would have imposed a tariff on steel from Canada it
would have made it more economically viable to set up manufacturing in
Canada where products could be made with cheaper steel and then exported
to the US. There would have been an explosion of manufacturing jobs in
Canada as companies took advantage of the new situation.
Hopefully, Trump will see the NAFTA talks as a failure and go ahead with
his plan to tax steel from Canada.
b***@gmail.com
2018-03-12 00:19:44 UTC
Post by TomP
[...]
A convoluted way of saying: 'If Trump serves up a sour lemon, we can use it to make lemonade.'

If anything has made this kind of 'make-it-at-home or grow-it-at-home' thinking clearer, it's watching other countries who are doing exactly that and getting richer.

Canada has been focusing on trade and the few jobs it creates, while ignoring that making (& refining) products here is what *really* creates jobs. And with those jobs to keep us all busy, employed and able to make good incomes, the other ills in our society will also dissipate.

Bring it on, Trump!
Alan Baker
2018-03-12 00:25:19 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by TomP
[...]
Give us an example of "other countries" "doing exactly that"...

...and let's look at the standard of living that they enjoy, shall we?
TomP
2018-03-12 00:49:26 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by TomP
[...]
Canada used to be a country with a mixed economy with Ontario having a
huge manufacturing presence. That all changed when NAFTA was signed and
the manufacturing jobs left Canada. We then became a resource based
economy as we sold our resources to companies that once were in Canada.
These tariffs that Trump is threatening us with was aimed at China but
China only supplied the US with only 2% of the steel US companies
needed. The reason for that was because China would rather sell
manufactured products than resources.
With the dropping of trade walls with Free Trade Canadians have been
competing with third world countries and companies are more than willing
to transfer Canadian jobs to these places of cheap labor. Recently
Ontario raised the minimum wage to the cries of the business community.
The reason why it was such a big deal in Ontario was because 1 out of
every 8 jobs in Ontario pays minimum wage. Nationally, in Canada, 25% of
working Canadians earned less than $15 per hour in 2015. How can NAFTA
be called a success with such a poor outcome for Canadians?
I'm with you!!

Bring it on, Trump!