Women in Physics
2018-10-07 05:37:49 UTC
Alessandro Strumia of Pisa University claims Physics was "Invented by Men":

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/06/1600-scientists-sign-petition-against-cern-physicist-alessandro-strumia-open-discrimination

This is a claim I'd refute upon several grounds.

1. It can be argued that Physics was Invented by G*d and Discovered by humans.

2. Too many true intuitions about Physics have enabled by women: Nicola Tesla's
cousin was Albert E's lover about the time he first cooked up Relativity.

3. Women, more often than men, "take one for the team", throwing their great
ideas up for any who'll claim them: the fastest way to get something
done is to make it someone else's idea (getting kicked around makes
people more pragmatic about the value of their conceits).

Seems to me guys like Alessandro suffer from some kind of womb-envy or something.

Dhu (there but for the Grace of God)

2018-10-07 16:12:32 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/06/1600-scientists-sign-petition-against-cern-physicist-alessandro-strumia-open-discrimination
This is a claim I'd refute upon several grounds.
1. It can be argued that Physics was Invented by G*d and Discovered by humans.
Nicola Tesla's cousin was Albert E's lover about the time he first
cooked up Relativity.
3. Women, more often than men, "take one for the team", throwing
their great ideas up for any who'll claim them: the fastest way to
get something done is to make it someone else's idea (getting kicked
around makes people more pragmatic about the value of their
conceits).
Seems to me guys like Alessandro suffer from some kind of womb-envy or something.
Maybe he is looking at the facts, like the number of men who sat down
and figured out the laws of physics, the guys who studied it and the
guys who made a career out of working in the field. I have never had
much use for the suggestion that certain people should be steered toward
career fields when they find themselves under-represented in it.
Dhu on Gate
2018-10-07 18:31:01 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Dhu on Gate
[...]
Only in the 20th C did such things as having a career as a Physicist
become possible. Previously it was a pursuit of those with the luxury
of free time.
Post by Dave Smith
much use for the suggestion that certain people should be steered toward
career fields when they find themselves under-represented in it.
The Facts? As recorded by who?

2018-10-07 21:58:01 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
much use for the suggestion that certain people should be steered toward
career fields when they find themselves under-represented in it.
The Facts? As recorded by who?
Really? I made a comment about the fact of the number of women in a
particular field in response to a complaint by a woman about the number
if women in the field, and you think you made some sort of debating
points by questioning who recorded the facts???
Wow. You really are a legend in your own mind. This is why so many of
the comments you make sound like psychotic rants.
Dhu on Gate
2018-10-08 23:59:24 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Dhu on Gate
Post by Dave Smith
much use for the suggestion that certain people should be steered toward
career fields when they find themselves under-represented in it.
The Facts? As recorded by who?
Really? I made a comment about the fact of the number of women in a
particular field in response to a complaint by a woman about the number
if women in the field, and you think you made some sort of debating
points by questioning who recorded the facts???
Wow. You really are a legend in your own mind. This is why so many of
the comments you make sound like psychotic rants.
A lot of what gets written as "history" amounts to homo-erotic hagiography.

Let me guess.... you convinced yourself that comment was brilliant.
Dhu on Gate
2018-10-09 14:32:23 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Dhu on Gate
Post by Dave Smith
Really? I made a comment about the fact of the number of women in a
particular field in response to a complaint by a woman about the number
if women in the field, and you think you made some sort of debating
points by questioning who recorded the facts???
Wow. You really are a legend in your own mind. This is why so many of
the comments you make sound like psychotic rants.
A lot of what gets written as "history" amounts to homo-erotic hagiography.
Let me guess.... you convinced yourself that comment was brilliant.
No. But it's pretty obvious you have.

2018-10-07 19:06:09 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/06/1600-scientists-sign-petition-against-cern-physicist-alessandro-strumia-open-discrimination
This is a claim I'd refute upon several grounds.
1. It can be argued that Physics was Invented by G*d and Discovered by humans.
2. Too many true intuitions about Physics have enabled by women: Nicola Tesla's
cousin was Albert E's lover about the time he first cooked up Relativity.
3. Women, more often than men, "take one for the team", throwing their great
ideas up for any who'll claim them: the fastest way to get something
done is to make it someone else's idea (getting kicked around makes
people more pragmatic about the value of their conceits).
Seems to me guys like Alessandro suffer from some kind of womb-envy or something.
Dhu (there but for the Grace of God)
Sure, and William Shakespeare's wife wrote all his plays. Heard that one
before too.
Dhu on Gate
2018-10-09 07:19:13 UTC
Post by Eric®
Post by Dhu on Gate
[...]
The Sonnets were writ about several women, and the several "stages" in his
writing map closely to the periods for various (alleged) female lovers.
I'd also hold (no fact here but literary critique) that many of the
female characters in the plays have no male origin and represent the
input of some woman collaborator(s).

2018-10-07 21:59:40 UTC
Women as a group have neither the interest nor the mind to do physics. You could put up every gender-barrier you want and if women were suited to physics, a lot more than we see now would be involved. Take a look at technical hobbies as well, everything from photography to amateur astronomy and can count the number of women involved on your hands. They just don't have any interest.
Greg Carr
2018-10-07 22:30:56 UTC
Post by Liberals are VERMIN!
Women as a group have neither the interest nor the mind to do physics. You could put up every gender-barrier you want and if women were suited to physics, a lot more than we see now would be involved. Take a look at technical hobbies as well, everything from photography to amateur astronomy and can count the number of women involved on your hands. They just don't have any interest.
I took a ham radio course some months ago and while there were some women in the class it was 70% men.