"Georgetown students vote overwhelmingly to approve fee for slavery reparations"
2019-04-14 02:32:13 UTC
Yet another example of academic stupidity.
You got something against criminals being punished for their wrongful actions?
Like Canadians? Has Canada paid any reparations to BLACK-African slaves,
or ANY slaves, for that matter?

Cain't find nothing.

Slavery in Canada

Slavery in Canada includes both that practiced by First Nations from
earliest times and that under European colonization. The latter was legal
until the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 meaning that "Slavery was the
dominant condition of life for black people in for well over 200 years".
Forms of slavery, such as human trafficking, still occur in Canada.

=====

LOL... slavery was FINALLY outlawed in Canada, a mere 32 years ahead of
The United States, so why is America always the slavery "villain",
especially since slavery STILL exists in Canada?

There Are 6,500 Slaves in Canada
https://globalnews.ca/news/2731827/there-are-6500-slaves-in-canada-nearly-
46-million-worldwide-charity/

Canada's Shameful, Modern-Day Slave Trade
https://torontosun.com/2012/02/10/canadas-shameful-modern-day-slave-
trade/wcm/2e410af6-9dc4-4ef7-bc3e-821a5970ed41

Black Enslavement in Canada
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/black-enslavement

Colonial Canada Had Slavery For More Than 200 Years. And Yes, It Still
Matters Today
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/06/17/slavery-canada-history_n_
16806804.html

Canada's Slavery Secret: The Whitewashing Of 200 Years Of Enslavement
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/canada-s-slavery-secret-the-whitewashing-
of-200-years-of-enslavement-1.4726313

=====

Slavery within what is now Canada was practiced by Aboriginal groups and
European settlers. While there was Canadian trade in African slaves,
native nations also enslaved their rivals, but most were purchased by
colonial administrators and sold to native nations until 1833, when the
British Parliament abolished slavery across the British Empire. (There is
often confusion over the date at which this occurred; Britain had
abolished the slave trade in 1807, but did not abolish slavery itself
until 1833, in an act of Parliament that came into effect on 1 August
1834.) Prior to this, however, courts had, to varying degrees, rendered
slavery unenforceable: for example, in Lower Canada after court decisions
in the late 1790s, the "slave could not be compelled to serve longer than
he would, and ... might leave his master at will."

People of African descent were forcibly brought as chattel slaves to New
France, Acadia and the later British North America during the 17th
century. Those in Canada typically came from the American colonies, as no
shiploads of human chattel went to Canada directly from Africa. The number
of slaves in New France is believed to have been in the hundreds. They
were house servants and farm workers. There were no large plantations in
Canada, and therefore no large slave work forces of the sort that existed
in most European colonies in the southerly Americas, from Virginia to the
West Indies to Brazil.

Because early Canada's role in the trans-Atlantic slave trade is sometimes
considered to be minor, the history of slavery in Canada is often
overshadowed by the more tumultuous slavery practiced elsewhere in the
Americas, particularly in the southern United States and colonial
Caribbean. Afua Cooper states that slavery is "Canada's best kept secret,
locked within the National closet". Some Black Canadians today are
descended from these slaves.
--
Ocasio-Cortez's Finest Moments

"Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs"

"Capitalism has not always existed in the world and will not always exist
in the world."

"Where do you get the ducats to pay for free healthcare? Cortez doesn't
seem to understand these things need to be paid for at all.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez compares her election victory in a deep blue
district to milestone American accomplishments, including establishing
civil rights and landing on the Moon.
Yeah, you heard that right. A Democrat winning in the Bronx is right up
there with the greatest achievement in the history of mankind people-kind.

"There's three chambers of congre...er...government. The Senate, the
House, and the one with the president. I'm gonna stop now, otherwise I run
the risk of looking like I don't know what I'm talking about."

Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and
can barely feed their family (average work week = 34.5 hours)

A 17-year-old can walk into a "shop" and purchase an assault weapon.

Abolish ICE (I'm up for a debate on immigration reform - but to throw open
the borders - are you effing kidding?)

"We need to occupy every airport. We need to occupy every border. We need
to occupy every ICE Office."

"Why aren't we incorporating the expense of all the funeral expenses of
those who die because they can't afford access to healthcare?"

"This, like, upper-middle class... is... probably more moderate. Um... but
that (upper-middle-class) doesn't exist, anymore." What?
AlleyCat
2019-04-14 23:56:38 UTC
Yet another example of academic stupidity.
You got something against criminals being punished for their wrongful actions?
Like Canadians? Has Canada paid any reparations to BLACK-African slaves,
or ANY slaves, for that matter?
Canada didn't engage in African slavery to any significant degree.
Reeeealllly? Comparatively speaking of course, right? Do you know the
differences in population of "New France" and the "New World"?

I bet the ratio of slaves to the population, is not that far from each
other, but then again, having had ANY slaves was an abomination.

Do you get off from ridicule for having less slaves than someone else?

Hardly.

Is there REALLY a moral difference in having 420 thousand, and 4,200?

"Fewer than 350,000 enslaved people were imported into the Thirteen
Colonies and the U.S." - wikipedia

"Out of approximately 4,200 slaves in New France at the peak of
slavery..."
Most of their slavery involved aboriginal people.
A slave is a slave is a slave. If I own one and you own 10, who has the
moral high ground?
And Canada has been paying reparations to them for a few years now.
Post by AlleyCat
Cain't find nothing.
Then you're not looking.
Keep it in context. I was talking about African slavery reparations, and
if YOU thought there was, you would have cited it.

I have a feeling the Usenet resident looked too. ;-)

A Moose in Love
2019-04-15 12:01:59 UTC
Post by AlleyCat
[...]
i sure don't believe in reparations. it's rough all around. people have been abusing each other for eons. if you give reparations to blacks because of slavery, then you have to give reparations to other victims of past canadian policy. residential schools etc. where does it end?