MEC Facing Calls For A Boycott. I Concur.
2018-02-27 05:05:03 UTC
MEC faces calls to drop outdoor brands owned by U.S. gun manufacturer

Feb 26, 2018 Aleksandra Sagan, The Canadian Press   0
ANCOUVER _ Mountain Equipment Co-op says it’s asking tough some questions about its supply chain after consumers on social media connected some of the brands sold at its stores to a major U.S. ammunition and gun manufacturer.
“We’re gathering facts, listening to our members and figuring out the best path forward for our co-op,” the Vancouver-based company said in a tweet Monday.
“MEC is committed to responsible supply chain practices and transparency and we will continue to be guided by those values.”
The tweet came after MEC said its senior management would meet first thing Monday to discuss calls it stop selling Vista Outdoor Inc.-owned brands, including Giro, Camelbak and Blackburn. Utah-based Vista also designs, develops and manufactures ammunition, long guns and related equipment, according to its website.

Vista owns Savage Arms, which sells multiple semi-automatic rifles. Those are similar to the type of rifle a shooter used earlier this month to kill 17 people at a Parkland, Fla., school.

While MEC doesn’t sell firearms, it does stock the helmets, sunglasses and other outdoor goods Vista makes.
A Change.org petition calls on the retailer to stop carrying the brands.
“Given the recent massacre of high school students in Parkland, Fla., MEC is facing an urgent ethical obligation: to act in accordance with its ‘mission and values,”’ the petition, which has been signed by about 900 people as of Monday late afternoon, reads.
Some people aired their concerns to the company on its Twitter and Facebook pages, asking it to stop selling Vista-owned brands.
Neither MEC nor Vista immediately responded to a request for comment. However, MEC answered posts on its social media pages, telling visitors their comments have been passed on to the company’s management.
The company’s mission and values include seeking “to motivate other individuals and organizations to act for people and the planet.”
The company encouraged consumers to keep sharing their views via social media and promised another update by 5 p.m. PT.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/business-news/mec-faces-calls-to-drop-outdoor-brands-owned-by-u-s-gun-manufacturer/
Tony Beck the MEC warehouse manager at their 76th Ave Surrey, BC western depot is called a sexual harasser, thief, bully and liar by past and current employees.

He is in my opinion a waste of human life. Please boycott Mountain Equipment Co-op.
Roy
2018-02-27 09:03:04 UTC
[...]
It would be stupid to drop a good line of equipment because some idiot uses it improperly. Guns don't kill...just stupid people do. Screen the users and purchasers of the guns and ammo. Bar the insane people from ever owning guns.
====
Dhu on Gate
2018-02-27 10:00:19 UTC
Post by Roy
Guns don't kill...just stupid people do.
Ya, but we don't allow people to own/possess thermonuclear devices,
OR bazookas, for that matter. There's no good reason for individuals to
possess military grade weaponry intended for use against other humans,
and there's no good reason for possessing a concealable firearm of any
kind.

Given my druthers the Police would be dressed in good body armor
and armed with nightsticks and realtime cam/monitors. IFF someone shoots
at them you send out guys with _real_ weapons and a license to kill.

And you should need a reason for buying a gun that can stand a few weeks
of waiting.

Just as a matter of interest, it seems like someone's been thinning out
the coyotes here in the 'Chuck and I'm wondering if anyones heard
anything about it. I really _do_ hope they're using lead poisoning and
not strychnine or warfarin.

Squirrel guns aren't exactly military grade weaponry.
Dhu on Gate
2018-02-28 08:49:19 UTC
Post by Eric®
Post by Dhu on Gate
Post by Roy
Guns don't kill...just stupid people do.
Ya, but we don't allow people to own/possess thermonuclear devices,
OR bazookas, for that matter. There's no good reason for individuals
to possess military grade weaponry intended for use against other
humans, and there's no good reason for possessing a concealable firearm
of any kind.
Squirrel guns aren't exactly military grade weaponry.
No, they are not.
And they are a lot "kinder" vermin control than strychnine or warfarin.

2018-03-01 00:31:10 UTC
Post by Roy
Guns don't kill...just stupid people do.
Ya, but we don't allow people to own/possess thermonuclear devices,
OR bazookas, for that matter. There's no good reason for individuals to
own bazookas, new or used:

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2013-03.html

Orion
I can't believe I'm about to agree with Roy, but you can't fault his logic on this one.
Kixi
You must then support the BDS movement against Israel?
Eric®
2018-02-27 23:42:30 UTC
[...]
I've been a member for 25 years or so, and afaik MEC started going downhill
when they made the decision to begin opening branches all over the place,
catering more & more to urban fashionistas. Nowadays their prices are often
higher rather than lower than the competition, much of their stuff is made in
Chinese sweat-shops, and quality has been going downhill in many product types.

People warned about this, membership battles were fought over it, and they
lost.

IMO MEC should start selling firearms. Hasn't Tony Beck sued you yet?
Greg Carr
2018-02-28 03:20:57 UTC
Post by Eric®
Post by Greg Carr
[...]
I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY LAWYER TO QUESTION HIM UNDER OATH. The last time I saw him in criminal court years ago he was trembling and shaking and the Crown realized he would be a useless witness and they dropped the criminal harassment charge. Anthony Beck has lost a lot of his weight over the course of time either from cancer or exercising and diet changes. He works only 3 blocks from where I live just a horrible coincidence :-(