OT: Churchill, Hitler and the Unnecessary War
A Moose in Love
2019-12-01 12:34:17 UTC
A good outline of the book. This thread is actually on topic for this NG since Canada was involved in both world wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Hitler_and_the_Unnecessary_War
M I Wakefield
2019-12-01 15:07:09 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
A good outline of the book. This thread is actually on topic for this NG
since Canada was involved in both world wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Hitler_and_the_Unnecessary_War
1) Not on topic, because it's not about Canadian politics. Take it to
alt.revisionism, or alt.support.mindless.nazis.klaas

2) Citing Pat Buchanan as an historian: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Smith
2019-12-01 15:34:54 UTC
A good outline of the book.  This thread is actually on topic for this
NG since Canada was involved in both world wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Hitler_and_the_Unnecessary_War
1) Not on topic, because it's not about Canadian politics.  Take it to
alt.revisionism, or alt.support.mindless.nazis.klaas
2) Citing Pat Buchanan as an historian:  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got a kick out of this criticism of the book "Hungarian-American
historian John Lukacs, in a review in The American Conservative,
compared Buchanan to David Irving and argued that the only difference
between the two was that Irving uses lies to support his arguments while
Buchanan uses half-truths."
A Moose in Love
Well that's one review. I'm sure there are others that criticize the book negatively. That does not mean that PB is full of it. What that means is that there is someone who takes exception to what he has written. You are under the false impression that because someone criticizes a book in a negative manner, that then the book should be thrown out as good for nothing. Not so.
A Moose in Love
? Show me where PB went wrong. You can't can you?
M I Wakefield
2019-12-01 17:59:26 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by M I Wakefield
2) Citing Pat Buchanan as an historian: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
? Show me where PB went wrong. You can't can you?
1) Britain did not declare war on Germany to support France - the British
government was divided on the issue - only when Germany attacked Belgium,
whose neutrality it had guaranteed in an 1839 treaty, did the British
government unite behind the war.

2) The German Navy was not a major threat to the Royal Navy. The Royal
Navy was mandated to maintain at least as many battleships as the second-
and third-largest navies in the world combined, and neither of those was
Germany.

3) Prussian militarism was no myth:
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/de-kaiserliche-militarism.htm

4) The Rape of Belgium was no myth.

German troops, afraid of Belgian guerrilla fighters, or francs-tireurs
(literally: "free shooters"), burned homes and executed civilians throughout
eastern and central Belgium, including Aarschot (156 dead), Andenne (211
dead), Seilles [fr], Tamines (383 dead), and Dinant (674 dead). The victims
included men, women, and children. In the Province of Brabant, nuns were
ordered to strip under the pretext that they were spies or men in disguise.
However, there is no evidence that nuns were violated. In and around
Aarschot, between August 19 and the recapture of the town by September 9,
women were repeatedly victimized. Rape was nearly as ubiquitous as murder,
arson and looting, if never as visible.

Before the war Belgium produced 4.4 percent of world commerce, but the
Germans destroyed the Belgian economy so thoroughly, by dismantling
industries and transporting the equipment and machinery to Germany, that it
never regained its pre-war level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_of_Belgium

And that's just what he got wrong before 1915.
Dave Smith
2019-12-01 18:11:03 UTC
Post by M I Wakefield
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
[...]
That's the bitch of credibility for writers. Once you get caught in some
very obvious lies, mistruths, misinformation .... everything else is
open to question. It's like getting caught lying in court, once you
have have been caught lying the court will not allow any of your evidence.
A Moose in Love
2019-12-01 18:37:47 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
You've been caught lying. When you suggested that my Grand Dad 'helped them into the showers'. When you said that the 'Germans worked for the Nazis'. And even more shitty, when you said that 'rape and murder was a little payback'.
Dave Smith
2019-12-01 22:09:47 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Dave Smith
That's the bitch of credibility for writers. Once you get caught in
some very obvious lies, mistruths, misinformation .... everything
else is open to question. It's like getting caught lying in
court, once you have have been caught lying the court will not
allow any of your evidence.
You've been caught lying. When you suggested that my Grand Dad
'helped them into the showers'.
That was not a lie. It was a question. I said that he was in the Waffen
SS and the Waffen SS were often used at the camps while convalescing.
Post by A Moose in Love
When you said that the 'Germans
worked for the Nazis'.
I am wondering if you are going to argue that the German people were not
working for the Nazi regime because most of the work was being done by
slave labour.They had close to 5 million slave labourers in Poland
alone. I can't be bothered checking the distinction between slave labour
and forced labour but there were also a lot of people forced into
working for the Nazis. By 1944 almost the entire Germany economy was
involved in war material production. By 1944, slave labour made up about
25% of the work force. That left 75% of it to be done by Germans.
Post by A Moose in Love
And even more shitty, when you said that
'rape and murder was a little payback'.
Yes. It was payback... revenge. It was done by the Russian soldiers.
What the hell else would you call it? Maybe it was just the animalistic
behaviour of lesser humans..... which is what the Nazis thought the
Slavs and Russians were. I described it as payback, which is not the
same as saying that I condoned it.
A Moose in Love
2019-12-02 13:05:58 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by A Moose in Love
When you said that the 'Germans
worked for the Nazis'.
I am wondering if you are going to argue that the German people were not
working for the Nazi regime because most of the work was being done by
slave labour.They had close to 5 million slave labourers in Poland
alone. I can't be bothered checking the distinction between slave labour
and forced labour but there were also a lot of people forced into
working for the Nazis. By 1944 almost the entire Germany economy was
involved in war material production. By 1944, slave labour made up about
25% of the work force. That left 75% of it to be done by Germans.
The British people were working for the criminal British regime.
Post by Dave Smith
Post by A Moose in Love
And even more shitty, when you said that
'rape and murder was a little payback'.
Yes. It was payback... revenge. It was done by the Russian soldiers.
What the hell else would you call it? Maybe it was just the animalistic
behaviour of lesser humans..... which is what the Nazis thought the
Slavs and Russians were. I described it as payback, which is not the
same as saying that I condoned it.
You did not condemn(until I prodded, and you finally agreed that it was a crime, that's at least an improvement on your initial position)the crimes immediately, you at the very least trivialized these crimes initially. Oh and duh the Germans worked for the Nazis. That's a nonsensical statement; as is mine above. At least I know that it's nonsense. You are trying to equate all Germans as being nazis. How you twist language. You are the best at twisting here, I'll give you that. Do you actually talk like that to people you meet who are ethnic Germans? If you do, only a brainwashed kraut would listen to you; someone who is consumed by 'war guilt'.
I feel no guilt, nor am I ashamed, nor embarrassed by the fact that I had relatives who were SS men.
Dave Smith
2019-12-02 14:22:39 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Dave Smith
I am wondering if you are going to argue that the German people
were not working for the Nazi regime because most of the work was
being done by slave labour.They had close to 5 million slave
labourers in Poland alone. I can't be bothered checking the
distinction between slave labour and forced labour but there were
also a lot of people forced into working for the Nazis. By 1944
almost the entire Germany economy was involved in war material
production. By 1944, slave labour made up about 25% of the work
force. That left 75% of it to be done by Germans.
The British people were working for the criminal British regime.
You are just expressing your rather bizarre opion. You objected to my
comment about the German people working for the Nazis. I explained how
that is pretty much undeniable and the best you can come up with to
counter that is an idiotic and nonsensical comment that the British
people were working for a criminal regime. Britain was not arresting
and imprisoning political opponents, rounding up various ethnic groups
and sending them of to concentration camps.
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Dave Smith
Yes. It was payback... revenge. It was done by the Russian
soldiers. What the hell else would you call it? Maybe it was just
the animalistic behaviour of lesser humans..... which is what the
Nazis thought the Slavs and Russians were. I described it as
payback, which is not the same as saying that I condoned it.
You did not condemn(until I prodded, and you finally agreed that it
was a crime, that's at least an improvement on your initial
position)the crimes immediately, you at the very least trivialized
these crimes initially.
I saw no need to apologize or clarify because I had never condoned it. I
called it for what it was. Yes. It was atrocious, just like it was
atrocious when the Germans invaded their country and did it.
Post by A Moose in Love
Oh and duh the Germans worked for the Nazis.
That's a nonsensical statement; as is mine above. At least I know
that it's nonsense. You are trying to equate all Germans as being
nazis.
That's bullshit. I said they were working for the Nazis. Almost the
entire Germany economy was geared toward war materials production. If
they were working they were contributing to the war effort. They may not
have been Nazis. They may not have wanted to be working for war effort,
but they were.
You have made that clear.
Alan Baker
2019-12-02 16:45:57 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
What was criminal about it?
Greg Carr
2019-12-02 18:00:00 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Dave Smith
Post by A Moose in Love
When you said that the 'Germans
worked for the Nazis'.
I am wondering if you are going to argue that the German people were not
working for the Nazi regime because most of the work was being done by
slave labour.They had close to 5 million slave labourers in Poland
alone. I can't be bothered checking the distinction between slave labour
and forced labour but there were also a lot of people forced into
working for the Nazis. By 1944 almost the entire Germany economy was
involved in war material production. By 1944, slave labour made up about
25% of the work force. That left 75% of it to be done by Germans.
The British people were working for the criminal British regime.
The British govt at the time was democratically elected.
To bad your relatives weren't castrated by the Soviets.
A Moose in Love
Had that happened, the world would have been a worse place than it is.
Greg Carr
2019-12-02 05:49:32 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Dave Smith
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
What was your Granddads name so we can search his record.
A Moose in Love
2019-12-02 13:54:48 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Dave Smith
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
You sound infantile. The nazis could have used more dupes like you.
Eric®
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1hc9l
Dave Smith
LOL No, he would not have enjoyed Stalingrad ;-)
Alan Baker
2019-12-01 18:51:16 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
A good outline of the book. This thread is actually on topic for this NG since Canada was involved in both world wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Hitler_and_the_Unnecessary_War
Written by Pat Buchanan:

'Antisemitism and Holocaust denial

Buchanan wrote that it was impossible for 850,000 Jews to be killed by
diesel exhaust fed into the gas chamber at Treblinka in a column for the
New York Post in 1990.[25] Buchanan once argued Treblinka "was not a
death camp but a transit camp used as a 'pass-through point' for
prisoners". In fact, some 900,000 Jews had died at Treblinka.[26] When
George Will challenged him about it on TV, Buchanan did not reply. In
1991, William F. Buckley Jr. wrote a 40,000-word National Review article
discussing anti-Semitism among conservative commentators focused largely
on Buchanan; the article and many responses to it were collected in the
book In Search of Anti-Semitism (1992). He concluded: "I find it
impossible to defend Pat Buchanan against the charge that what he did
and said during the period under examination amounted to
anti-Semitism."[27][28]

The Anti-Defamation League has called Buchanan an "unrepentant bigot"
who "repeatedly demonizes Jews and minorities and openly affiliates with
white supremacists."[29] "There's no doubt," said Pulitzer Prize-winning
columnist Charles Krauthammer, "he makes subliminal appeals to
prejudice."[30] Buchanan denies that he is antisemitic, and a number of
his journalistic colleagues, including Murray Rothbard,[31][32][33]
Justin Raimondo,[34] Jack Germond, Al Hunt and Mark Shields, have
defended him against the charge.[35] As a member of the Reagan White
House, he is accused of having suppressed the Reagan Justice
Department's investigation into Nazi scientists brought to America by
the OSS's Operation Paperclip.[36] In the context of the Gulf War, on
September 15, 1990, Buchanan appeared on The McLaughlin Group and said
that "there are only two groups that are beating the drums for war in
the Middle East – the Israeli defense ministry and its 'amen corner' in
the United States." He also said: "The Israelis want this war
desperately because they want the United States to destroy the Iraqi war
machine. They want us to finish them off. They don't care about our
relations with the Arab world."[37] Furthermore, on The McLaughlin Group
Buchanan has also made such comments as "'Capitol Hill is Israeli
occupied territory' and 'If you want to know ethnicity and power in the
United States Senate, 13 members of the Senate are Jewish folks who are
from 2% of the population. That is where real power is at ... '"[38]

Buchanan supported President Reagan's plan to visit a German military
cemetery at Bitburg in 1985, where among buried Wehrmacht soldiers were
the graves of 48 Waffen SS members. At the insistence of German
Chancellor Helmut Kohl and over the vocal objections of Jewish groups,
the trip went through.[39]

In an interview, author Elie Wiesel described attending a White House
meeting of Jewish leaders about the trip: "The only one really defending
the trip was Pat Buchanan, saying, 'We cannot give the perception of the
President being subjected to Jewish pressure.'"[40]

Buchanan accused Wiesel of fabricating the story in an ABC interview in
1992: "I didn't say it and Elie Wiesel wasn't even in the meeting ...
That meeting was held three weeks before the Bitburg summit was held. If
I had said that, it would have been out of there within hours and on the
news".[41]'
Greg Carr
I understand Pat Buchanan is also an alcoholic. Very interesting article thanks for posting it.
A Moose in Love
2019-12-02 13:18:35 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by A Moose in Love
[...]
Just because I posted a link to his book doesn't mean I agree with every thing that Buchanan writes/says. I do not agree with any type of holocaust denial, or attempts made to trivialize these events. That includes all acts of genocide/attempted genocide.
PB is anti war which is a good thing.
I also searched and found no evidence that PB is an alky.
M I Wakefield
2019-12-02 14:16:34 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Just because I posted a link to his book doesn't mean I agree with every
thing that Buchanan writes/says.
The fact that you challenged me to "Show me where PB went wrong. You can't
can you?" says you're lying.
Eric®
2019-12-01 19:53:05 UTC
On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 04:34:17 -0800, A Moose in Love
Post by A Moose in Love
A good outline of the book. This thread is actually on topic for this
NG since Canada was involved in both world wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Hitler_and_the_Unnecessary_War
Curious. You've repeatedly attacked Britain and allies for trying to stop
Adolf's invasion of Poland, but iirc you haven't said much about his march
into the Rhineland in 1936. Do you think it was a good thing that other
countries, especially France, didn't interfere?
Dave Smith
2019-12-01 22:24:57 UTC
Post by Eric®
On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 04:34:17 -0800, A Moose in Love
A good outline of the book.  This thread is actually on topic for this
NG since Canada was involved in both world wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Hitler_and_the_Unnecessary_War
Curious.  You've repeatedly attacked Britain and allies for trying to
stop Adolf's invasion of Poland, but iirc you haven't said much about
his march into the Rhineland in 1936.  Do you think it was a good thing
that other countries, especially France, didn't interfere?
It's a shame they didn't, because Germany was not prepared to go to war
at that point. France and Britain didn't really have the political will
to go to war against Germany again so soon. As it turned out, they were
in a better position for a fight then than they were a few years later.
Eric®
2019-12-02 21:23:54 UTC
On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 14:24:57 -0800, Dave Smith <***@sympatico.c=
a> =
=
his march into the Rhineland in 1936. Do you think it was a good thi=
ng =
that other countries, especially France, didn't interfere?
It's a shame they didn't, because Germany was not prepared to go to wa=
r =
at that point. France and Britain didn't really have the political wi=
ll =
to go to war against Germany again so soon. As it turned out, they wer=
e =
in a better position for a fight then than they were a few years later=
.

France had an outdated but powerful military compared to Germany which h=
ad =

next to nothing. I think it's quite likely that Hitler could've been =

stopped in his tracks at that time, averting the horror that followed.

*Odd* that Moose hasn't responded....
Dave Smith
2019-12-02 21:39:38 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Eric®
[...]
I don't know. It is not like he actually reads what we post. It seems
to be more a matter of automatically rejecting the facts and screaming
that we are lying or twisting the truth.
A Moose in Love
2019-12-03 14:04:52 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Eric®
[...]
Duh smith: 'Did your grandfather help them into the showers?' That is a very ignorant shitty thing to say/type and it sums you up completely. I do actually think that you are a POS, that's not just an insult, it's what I think of you.
I've tried to educate you and your ilk here that there was a lot more to the SS than what you have been taught. You choose to ignore the truth.
Much of the language here is hateful and ignorant, it's not just you.
Dave Smith
2019-12-03 15:35:11 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Eric®
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Eric®
[...]
He was a question. You told us that he was in the Waffen SS. The
Waffen SS were sometimes used as concentration camp guards when
convalescing and some of them were recruited from among the
concentration camps. I asked a simple enough question that you could
have simply answered yes or no. Instead, you have been ranting and
carrying on for months, which might lead us to suspect that you are too
embarrassed to answer and prefer to deflect it with this outrage.
Post by A Moose in Love
I've tried to educate you and
your ilk here that there was a lot more to the SS than what you have
been taught. You choose to ignore the truth. Much of the language
here is hateful and ignorant, it's not just you.
You have done little to teach us anything other than to cite a couple of
books that have been dismissed for lack of credibility. There is not a
heck of a lot more to know about the Waffen SS other than the fact that
it was the military wing of the Nazi Party.
A Moose in Love
Moose hasn't responded due to the fact that it is far too time consuming to counter all of the hate here.
Dave Smith
2019-12-03 15:21:06 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Eric®
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Eric®
[...]
Time consuming? You don't seem to have spent much effort developing a
fact based argument. You just dismiss it as hate. There is considerable
irony to that, considering that the regime that you are defending were
based on their sense of superiority and hatred... for Jews, for Gypsies,
for communists, for homosexuals....
Alan Baker
2019-12-03 16:50:16 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by A Moose in Love
[...]
I have no hate for Germany, "Moose": I have a strong belief in the truth.

And the truth is that Germany invaded Belgium in order to attack France;
setting off WW1...

...and they lost...

...and thus had to accept the terms of the Treaty of Versailles...

...a treaty they violated when the re-militarized the Rhineland

And regardless of those terms, nothing gave them the right to annex
Austria...

...then the Sudetenland...

...then...

After signing the Munich Agreement in which they agreed to make no
further territorial expansion.

...invaded the rest of Czechoslovakia...

...the Klaipeda Region of Lithuania...

...and finally Poland.

Those are the ACTS that led to there being a Second World War.
Eric®
2019-12-03 22:34:01 UTC
On Tue, 03 Dec 2019 06:00:49 -0800, A Moose in Love =
Post by Eric®
*Odd* that Moose hasn't responded....
Moose hasn't responded due to the fact that it is far too time consumi=
ng =
to counter all of the hate here.
Hate? It was a simple suggestion that had France moved to stop Hitler wh=
en =

he sent troops into the Rhineland, they likely could have prevented his =
=

entire brutal career.

You obviously disagree but don't want to admit it publicly. I think you=
=

are proud of F=FChrer's martial accomplishments.
Dave Smith
2019-12-03 22:59:28 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Eric®
*Odd* that Moose hasn't responded....
Moose hasn't responded due to the fact that it is far too time
consuming to counter all of the hate here.
Hate? It was a simple suggestion that had France moved to stop Hitler
when he sent troops into the Rhineland, they likely could have prevented
his entire brutal career.
You obviously disagree but don't want to admit it publicly.  I think you
are proud of Führer's martial accomplishments.
If he actually bothers to research something other than some discredited
Nazi apologist literature he could check the stages of Germany's
militarization. Hitler did not even start to rebuild the military until
1935. He did not have much an army when he marched troops into the
Rhineland. By 1939 they only 3500 tanks, and we are talking small tanks,
not the more formidable Tigers and Elephants. The Luftwaffe was just
starting up. Young men were taking flying lessons on civilian aircraft.

France and Germany were upset about German re-armament and protested
vocally and in print, but they failed to back it up. Things would have
been much different if they had.
Tim Buck Too
2019-12-06 15:07:37 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
Post by Eric®
[...]
I am all for free speech, but the original poster goes one step beyond free speech and crosses the line entering into the territory of downright lying.
I don't think that people who are guilty of hate speech(unless it incites violence against others)should be jailed. However they need to be sent to re education classes.
Byker
2019-12-02 16:50:30 UTC
Post by A Moose in Love
A good outline of the book. This thread is actually on topic for this NG
since Canada was involved in both world wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Hitler_and_the_Unnecessary_War
Just think if Lord Halifax would have been PM instead of Churchill, which
very nearly happened. When the BEF was pushed all the way back to the
Channel, he'd probably have sued for peace, and Franco-Prussian War II would
have lasted a grand total of eight months. It's not as ludicrous as it
sounds. In April, 1940, over 90% of Americans polled wanted nothing to do
with getting involved in another European war. 110,000 U.S. troops died in
WWI, and the popular notion that we were "duped" into getting involved
produced a resentment that lasted a generation.

Interesting scenario to ponder:

SolomonW
2019-12-03 10:01:22 UTC
Post by Byker
Post by A Moose in Love
A good outline of the book. This thread is actually on topic for this NG
since Canada was involved in both world wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Hitler_and_the_Unnecessary_War
Just think if Lord Halifax would have been PM instead of Churchill, which
very nearly happened.
I am not so sure although many wanted Lord Halifax as Prime Minister after
the resignation of Neville Chamberlain, he declined.

Partly it was dubious if he could be and part of the problem was the lack
of support he had from the Labour Party.
Post by Byker
When the BEF was pushed all the way back to the
Channel, he'd probably have sued for peace, and Franco-Prussian War II would
have lasted a grand total of eight months.
This is possible, both Halifax and Chamberlain wanted peace at this point.

I am not sure what sort of peace it would be, during the Napoleonic wars,
Britain made peace several times and then broke it.

Britain would be arming fast. Germans would still need vast reserves in the
West just in case. Would the British and U.S. allow war materials into
Germany?
Post by Byker
It's not as ludicrous as it
sounds. In April, 1940, over 90% of Americans polled wanted nothing to do
with getting involved in another European war. 110,000 U.S. troops died in
WWI, and the popular notion that we were "duped" into getting involved
produced a resentment that lasted a generation.
But also surveys at the time showed that Americans thought that sooner or
later they would get involved.
Post by Byker
Interesting scenario to ponder: http://youtu.be/EnQ_3anpWQk
Very nice. Spelling mistakes

I doubt Hitler would have offered anywhere as much as this POD assumes.

Some points would Barbarossa have been so successful if Britain and Germany
had been at peace. I doubt it would be a surprise.

Would the British and the U.S. have done nothing is Hitler attacks Russia,
it is very much than in their interest that Russia holds! They supplied
China, why not Russia?

Why would the axis allies not send forces to help Germany take Russia, and
why would Hitler refuse more troops?

Also, I doubt Hitler if he was winning would make peace with Russia, and if
he did, he would undoubtedly intervene in a later Russian Civil War.
Byker
2019-12-03 17:25:56 UTC
Not mine...
M I Wakefield
2019-12-06 14:35:34 UTC
Auschwitz visit: Angela Merkel says past Nazi crimes part of German identity

Chancellor Angela Merkel has said Germany has an unending responsibility to
remember the Nazis' war crimes, as she made her first trip while in office
to the Auschwitz death camp in Poland.

The responsibility was "part of our national identity", she said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50671663
Byker
2019-12-07 23:29:22 UTC
Post by M I Wakefield
Auschwitz visit: Angela Merkel says past Nazi crimes part of German identity
Chancellor Angela Merkel has said Germany has an unending responsibility
to remember the Nazis' war crimes, as she made her first trip while in
office to the Auschwitz death camp in Poland.
The responsibility was "part of our national identity", she said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50671663
The late Charles Krauthammer on Fox commented that the shame of the
Holocaust in WWII Europe has all but worn off after seventy years. He also
noted that anti-Semitism has been part and parcel of European civilization
for the last 2,000 years and nothing is going to change that.

Ask Polish, Austrian, and French Gentiles, and they'll say something like,
"Oh, yes, that was a terrible thing that happened to the Jews." But were
some Merlin the Magician to wave a magic wand and bring all six million Jews
back, would the Poles, Austrians, and French really WANT them back? NOT!

In his book "Justice, Not Vengeance" (1990), Simon Wiesenthal devotes a
chapter to former U.N. Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim, whose involvement
with the Nazis during WWII was brought to light shortly after he became
president of Austria. Although he was not charged with any war crimes, the
Wiesenthalers hoped that this disclosure would provoke so much public
indignation that he would resign. As expected, his approval rating took a
nose-dive, from 70% to less than 40% virtually overnight. Waldheim,
however, stuck to his guns and refused to budge. Then a curious thing
happened: His popularity began to creep upwards again, and within a few
weeks it was right back up where it was before. Simon and company scratched
their heads and wondered what the hell was going on. Then it finally dawned
on them: After spending 40-plus years hearing Jews bitch about what
happened to them at the hands of the Nazis, the Austrians were simply sick
and tired of hearing it. It was as if they were collectively saying, "Fuck
you and your Holocaust! We don't want to hear it anymore."