NASA: Snow Accumulation That Began 10,000 Years Ago Is Currently Adding Enough Ice To The Continent To Outweigh The Losses
2018-04-05 01:18:30 UTC
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 18:38:46 -0500, Unum says...
ice retreat was more rapid than even at the end of
the last Ice Age
So? It's being replaced. Do you want the ice to accumulate enough to where
our oceans start receding again, making oceanfront property worthless?

Do you like how I added a reductio ad absurdum, there? I'm learning a lot
about adding superlatives and outrageous claims, that mean absolutely
nothing... something you leftards are really good at... I'll give you
that, but not that the Antarctic is losing ice. It's not... the "rate" and
the fact that it has lost ice, is irrelevant.

No, NASA says you're wrong... again.

=====

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/antarctic-
peninsula.jpg

A new NASA study says that Antarctica is overall accumulating ice. Still,
areas of the continent, like the Antarctic Peninsula photographed above,
have increased their mass loss in the last decades.

A new NASA study says that an increase in Antarctic snow accumulation that
began 10,000 years ago is currently adding enough ice to the continent to
outweigh the increased losses from its thinning glaciers.

The research challenges the conclusions of other studies, including the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) 2013 report, which says
that Antarctica is overall losing land ice.

According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet
showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001.
That net gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and
2008. (still a gain)

"We're essentially in agreement with other studies that show an increase
in ice discharge in the Antarctic Peninsula and the Thwaites and Pine
Island region of West Antarctica," said Jay Zwally, a glaciologist with
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author
of the study, which was published on Oct. 30 in the Journal of Glaciology.

"Our main disagreement is for East Antarctica and the interior of West
Antarctica - there, we see an ice gain that exceeds the losses in the
other areas." Zwally added that his team "measured small height changes
over large areas, as well as the large changes observed over smaller
areas."

Scientists calculate how much the ice sheet is growing or shrinking from
the changes in surface height that are measured by the satellite
altimeters. In locations where the amount of new snowfall accumulating on
an ice sheet is not equal to the ice flow downward and outward to the
ocean, the surface height changes and the ice-sheet mass grows or shrinks.
--
Climate Hillbilly Davis

It's "weather" when the temperatures don't agree with what climate
screechers have to say, and then it's climate change, when it does.

"It's all about money in the end. Keeping the Gravy Train running."

Unum
2018-04-05 03:54:53 UTC
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 18:38:46 -0500, Unum says...
ice retreat was more rapid than even at the end of
the last Ice Age
So? It's being replaced. Do you want the ice to accumulate enough to where
our oceans start receding again, making oceanfront property worthless?
ratboy wants global warming to flood the coasts.
Post by AlleyCat
NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses
ratboy posts a 3 year old press release that got refuted.

Linked to a warming ocean, ice retreat was more rapid than even at the end of
the last Ice Age

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/antarctic-glaciers-lost-stunning-amount-of-ground-in-recent-years/

The researchers, including scientists from the University of Leeds and
University College London, used satellite data to analyze changes in the
surface elevation of glaciers all around the Antarctic coastline, from 2010 to
2016. These surface height data can help scientists pinpoint changes in the
location of the grounding line.

They found that in seven years, the continent lost about 560 square miles
total of grounded ice. Each year, about 80 more square miles of ice is
detaching from the bedrock.

The research does suggest that some glaciers around the continent are actually
gaining ground, likely thanks to an increase in snowfall on the continent,
which eventually packs down and freezes into ice. But overall, the Antarctic
grounding line has experienced a net retreat.

And in many places, it’s moving faster than the ice is thought to have
retreated during the warming period at the end of the last ice age, around
20,000 years ago. At that time, scientists estimate, Antarctic glaciers
retreated at a rate of around 25 meters, or 80 feet, per year. The new
research suggests that nearly 11 percent of the glaciers around Antarctica as
a whole are retreating at a faster pace today.
AlleyCat
2018-04-05 05:10:56 UTC
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 22:54:53 -0500, Unum says...
Post by Unum
Post by AlleyCat
So? It's being replaced. Do you want the ice to accumulate enough to where
our oceans start receding again, making oceanfront property worthless?
ratboy wants global warming to flood the coasts.
Of course... I have too much yard to mow as it is.
Post by Unum
Post by AlleyCat
NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses
ratboy posts a 3 year old press release that got refuted.
LOL... dude, that story's like 3 years old.

"Three" years? What kind of calender do YOU have? Well... it's NOT 3 years
old, and does that REALLY matter? Does ice just "go away" within 3 years?
Hardly.

October 2015 to April 2018 is NOT 3 years. Typical liberal leftard. Just
because the "years" say 2018 and 2015, doesn't mean shit, but that doesn't
stop you from being a liar. 2.5 years,

almost EXACTLY.

Oct. 30, 2015
NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/nasa-study-mass-gains-of-antarctic-
ice-sheet-greater-than-losses

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

See that... NASA wrote that, dumb ass. I can see where you've gotten
confused... more like brainwashed. You're talking about all the articles
about east vs. west Antarctica...

https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php?a=21&p=10

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/nov/20/americannewsco
m/no-nasa-antarctica-study-didnt-discredit-climate-c/

... I'm not.

So... WHO debunked NASA's finding... NASA? That would be par for the
course. (see below)

Yeah, like the Antarctic has had soooooo much ice melted in the last 3
years, that ten THOUSAND years of snow turning into ice, just up an
disappeared.

Riiiiight.

How about THIS one?

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-
maximum

"Sea ice surrounding Antarctica reached a new record high extent this
year, covering more of the southern oceans than it has since scientists
began a long-term satellite record to map sea ice extent in the late
1970s."

Yeah, that one's 3.5 years old, but PROVE to me the ice is gone now, just
a mere 3.5 years later, and don't use your leftard lie-blogging websites.

Show me a picture, like I showed you. When shown pictures and Sat. photos,
you fucktards will no doubt screech about something else and change the
subject.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/antarctic_seaice_sept19_1.jpg

When will basement boy stop his lying?

Why does basement boy allow himself to be brainwashed by the likes of
SkepSci, run by a CARTOONIST?

[giggle]
--
Climate Hillbilly Davis

*Below*

"NOAA And NASA Corrected Historical Temperature Data And Fabricated
Temperature Data"

"NASA Made Efforts To Discredit Their Own Satellite Data"

"NASA Refused To Give Data And Information Requested By The US
House Of Representatives Science, Space And Technology Committee"

"NASA And NOAA Caught In Climate Data Manipulation"

"NASA Dramatically Altered US Temperatures After The Year 2000"

"Spectacularly Poor Climate Science At NASA"

"NASA/NOAA Mislead, Deceive and Lie About 'Hottest Year' Claim - Concede
2014 NOT "Hottest Year"

"Climate Fraud: NASA's Recent Global Warming "Corrections" Equal a +95.0°C
Per Century Trend"

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&q=noaa+nasa+caught
AlleyCat
2018-04-06 00:04:11 UTC

http://youtu.be/zuP5ZD3vaJU

Unum
2018-04-06 04:07:12 UTC
http://youtu.be/K8E_zMLCRNg
Post by Unum
Post by AlleyCat
So? It's being replaced. Do you want the ice to accumulate enough to where
our oceans start receding again, making oceanfront property worthless?
ratboy wants global warming to flood the coasts.
Of course... I have too much yard to mow as it is.
ratboy has always made it clear that he hates humanity, and wants
us all to be "extinguished".

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-to-believe-in-antarctica-rsquo-s-great-ice-debate/

A study published in Geophysical Research Letters in May 2017 by Alba Martin-
Español of the University of Bristol in England and his colleagues suggests
the gains in East Antarctica are so small that the continent is losing mass
overall. This is just one in a long line of studies that disagree with rather
controversial findings published in 2015 in the Journal of Glaciology, which
suggested that Antarctica is gaining mass.

the latest study published by Martin-Español, Bamber and their colleagues,
which incorporates a different approach that does not require a numerical
density model. Instead the team used data from a satellite called the Gravity
Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE), which measures changes in Earth's
gravitational field that are caused by changes in mass. They found that the
gains in East Antarctica were about three times smaller than those suggested
in Zwally's 2015 study. From 2003 to 2013 they measured an annual rise of
roughly five millimeters, which they think is equivalent to 57 billion metric
tons of fresh new snow every year. Because this gain is lower than the losses
occurring in West Antarctica, they conclude the entire continent has made a
net contribution to sea-level rise.
AlleyCat
2018-04-06 05:22:42 UTC
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 23:07:12 -0500, Unum says...
Post by Unum
Post by AlleyCat
Of course... I have too much yard to mow as it is.
ratboy has always made it clear that he hates humanity, and wants
us all to be "extinguished".
Annnnd like the typical pansy-ass liberal that he is, lies when he's got
nothing.

[giggle]

No rebuttal noted, thank you.

http://youtu.be/J9Oi7x2OBdI
AlleyCat
2018-04-06 01:25:45 UTC
n Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:05:05 +0000 (UTC), R Kym Horsell says...
The "steady 20,000 years of SLR" kind contradicts Cartoony's previous claims
about global effects of the LIA. Apparently now not cold enough to freeze
even an ice cube.
But cold enough to freeze the River Thames, that does NOT normally freeze.

http://tinypic.com/r/2mht209/8

We are told that the Earth's climate is changing... but the Earth's
climate is always changing!

In Earth's long history, there have been countless periods when it was
much warmer and much cooler than it is today when much of the world was
covered by tropical forests or else vasts ice sheets.

The climate has always changed, and changed without any help from us,
humans.

We can trace the present warming trend back at least two hundred years,
to the end of a very cold period in Earth's history.

This cold spell? It's known to climatologists as the Little Ice Age.

In the 14th century, Europe plunged into the Little Ice Age, and when we
look for evidences of this, are the old illustrations and prints, and
pictures of old father Thames because during the hardest and toughest
winters of that Little Ice Age the Thames would freeze over and there were
wonderful ice fairs held on the Thames skating, and people actually
selling things on the ice.

If we look back further in time, before the Little Ice Age, we find a
balmy golden era when temperatures where higher than they are today a time
known to climatologists as the Medieval Warm Period.

WHAAAAAT? It's been warmer than it is today!!?? How can this be? I guess
burning all that whale oil was a detriment, huh?

I blame Cleopatra!