Democratic congressman to Trudeau: Stop 'feuding' with Trump over trade
Max Boot
2018-06-12 02:52:31 UTC
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/10/democratic-congressman-to-
trudeau-stop-feuding-with-trump-over-trade.html

A Democratic congressman chastised Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
on Sunday for "sabotaging" trade negotiations as the fallout from this
weekend's tense G7 summit continues, lending President Trump some
bipartisan support as the war of words between the two countries
escalates.

Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi, D-Ill., accused Trudeau of endangering the
economies of both the U.S. and Canada.

"While I have serious concerns about President Trump’s approach to trade
talks with Canada, Prime Minister Trudeau has placed our trade
relationship with Canada at risk by publicly feuding with President Trump
on the world stage," Krishnamoorthi said in a statement.

"I have every desire to see our negotiations with Canada continue
productively and beneficially, but Prime Minister Trudeau is sabotaging
that cause by driving both sides into their corners instead of encouraging
a more diplomatic dialogue," Krishnamoorthi continued.

The Illinois Democrat acknowledged that Trudeau's tough talk with Trump
may play well domestically, but said it would have longer-term negative
implications.

"Prime Minister Trudeau may reap some political benefit through feuding
with President Trump, but by engaging with the president on the terms he
has so far, instead of on mutually productive ones, he is imperiling the
economic well-being of millions of Canadians and Americans," he added.

As President Trump was leaving the G7 summit onboard Air Force One,
Trudeau held a press conference in which he said that Canada would not be
"pushed around" by the U.S. on trade.

The move infuriated White House staff on Air Force One, because Trudeau
had sent more conciliatory signals while meeting with Trump in person
during the summit, according to White House Director of Trade Policy Peter
Navarro.

"There's a special place in hell for any foreign leader that engages in
bad faith diplomacy with President Donald J. Trump and then tries to stab
him in the back on the way out the door," Navarro said on "Fox News
Sunday."

"And that's what bad faith Justin Trudeau did with that stunt press
conference," he continued. "That's what weak, dishonest Justin Trudeau
did. And that comes right from Air Force One."

Trump reacted swiftly onboard Air Force One as it traveled to Singapore
for the historic U.S.-North Korea summit.

Trump tweeted: "Based on Justin's false statements at his news conference,
and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our U.S. farmers,
workers and companies, I have instructed our U.S. Reps not to endorse the
Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles flooding the U.S. Market!

He followed up by tweeting: "PM Justin Trudeau of Canada acted so meek and
mild during our @G7 meetings only to give a news conference after I left
saying that, "US Tariffs were kind of insulting" and he "will not be
pushed around." Very dishonest & weak. Our Tariffs are in response to his
of 270% on dairy!"

Clave
2018-06-12 02:58:54 UTC
Post by Max Boot
http://www.foxnews.com
***@Fox news
Greg Carr
2018-06-12 09:10:12 UTC
Post by Max Boot
[...]
Those "Canadian" auto companies are mainly American owned. Chrysler, GM and Ford. But if Trump wants to punish those shareholders in those companies I guess he will.