Who says that wisdom comes with age ?
Add Reply
brew noser
2020-11-21 20:25:44 UTC
CBC News · Posted: Nov 14, 2020

Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home

Snowbird association estimates about 30% of its members will head south this winter

In anticipation of the winter travel season, the federal government has issued an online alert to seniors, advising them to stay home during the COVID-19 pandemic. But the message may have little impact on snowbirds who are determined to escape the Canadian winter.

"I don't like winter. I hate it. I hate it with a passion," said Steve MacDonald, 77, of Oakville, Ont. He has already booked a Dec. 3 flight to Florida for himself and his wife, so they can spend the winter at their rented condo in Key Largo.

"Down there, [I'll] be swimming outside and taking in some sun, getting some vitamin D and cheap rum."

He'll be in good company. The Canadian Snowbird Association estimates that around 30 per cent of its more than 110,000 members will head to the United States Sunbelt this winter — despite soaring COVID-19 cases in the country and the Canada-U.S. land border closure to non-essential traffic.

More: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/snowbirds-seniors-travel-advisory-canada-u-s-border-covid-19-1.5799456
_____________________________
Meanwhile, down in Florida:

Per an ordinance as of Nov. 19, 2020, in the city of Key West, the wearing of facial coverings is mandatory indoors and outdoors (anywhere outside a residence or hotel/lodging room) regardless of social distancing. This ordinance is to remain in effect for at least 60 days.
__________________________
So, we're gonna know which Canadian snowbirds obeyed the ordinance and which ones didn't - by the suntans on their faces.

I would like to see any Canadians coming back into Canada housed in military barracks for 2 full weeks - sleeping on cots and eating military grade meals. No cheap rum.
M I Wakefield
2020-11-21 21:32:02 UTC
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 12:25:44 -0800 (PST), brew noser
Post by brew noser
CBC News · Posted: Nov 14, 2020
Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home
Snowbird association estimates about 30% of its members will head south this winter
Southern Ontario snowbirds are getting around border restrictions by
having their cars shipped across the border by commercial operators
(who are exempt from the border shutdown) to Buffalo airport's parking
lot, and taking a short helicopter flight.
brew noser
2020-11-21 22:18:44 UTC
Post by brew noser
CBC News · Posted: Nov 14, 2020
Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home
Snowbird association estimates about 30% of its members will head south this winter
Southern Ontario snowbirds are getting around border restrictions by
having their cars shipped across the border by commercial operators
(who are exempt from the border shutdown) to Buffalo airport's parking
lot, and taking a short helicopter flight.
Let them do what they want - all for their own selfish reasons. But the minute they want to come back to Canada, make them quarantine in the U.S. before they can board a commercial flight. Them make them quarantine again in Canada for another 2 weeks.

It's not just 'the younger' Canadians that are being egocentric imbeciles in their flouting of the covid warnings. No reason to let the pleasure-seeking older ones off the hook. Ground them - for a long time - when they try to return to Canada. And fine them - big time - if they still refuse. They can use their retirement money to 'fly and then pay'.
Dave Smith
2020-11-21 22:42:35 UTC
Post by brew noser
CBC News · Posted: Nov 14, 2020
Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home
Snowbird association estimates about 30% of its members will head south this winter
Southern Ontario snowbirds are getting around border restrictions by
having their cars shipped across the border by commercial operators
(who are exempt from the border shutdown) to Buffalo airport's parking
lot, and taking a short helicopter flight.
I don't see a problem with that, provided they self isolate for two
weeks when they get back, and I mean self isolation that involves
staying indoors and not shopping. Actually, I would like to see the
government arrange for quarantine hotels that they will have to stay in
for two weeks at their own expense.

I also don't want to hear any whining from them if they get stranded
somewhere because there are no flights available.
Greg Carr