TrumpAmerica Alone - U.S. not invited to Canada’s upcoming trade meeting only‘like minded’ nations allowed
Add Reply
Bloated Insane Pig Trump
2018-10-04 20:50:24 UTC
U.S. not invited to Canada’s upcoming trade meeting only‘like minded’
nations allowed

By Mike Blanchfield The Canadian Press

Canada has not included the United States in an upcoming meeting aimed at
saving the international trading system because it doesn’t share the views
of the 13 invited countries, says the new Canadian trade minister.

Canada will host senior ministers from 13 “like-minded” countries for a
two-day discussion in Ottawa later this month to brainstorm ways to reform
the World Trade Organization, said Jim Carr, Canada’s newly appointed
international trade diversification minister.

Carr said the group of countries he’s convened ultimately wants to persuade
Washington of the continued usefulness of the WTO, but for now the best way
forward is without the U.S. in the room.

“We think that the best way to sequence the discussion is to start with
like-minded people, and that’s whom we have invited and they’re coming,”
Carr told The Canadian Press.

“Those who believe that a rules-based system is in the interests of the
international community will meet to come up with a consensus that we will
then move out into nations who might have been more resistant.”

Asked what his message to Americans is in the meantime, Carr replied: “That
a rules-based system is good for them too.”

The WTO is one of a long list of international organizations and agreements
derided by U.S. President Donald Trump and his protectionist
administration. Trump’s top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, has at times
branded the WTO as ineffective and simply “broken

In the case of the WTO, the U.S. has moved beyond hostile rhetoric and
blocked the appointments of new judges to its dispute settlement body,
which is threatening to paralyse the organization and prevent it from
making decisions.

“The impasse of the appointment of the appellate body members threatens to
bring the whole dispute settlement system to a halt,” says an eight-page
Canadian discussion paper that has been circulated among the 13 invited
countries.

The Canadian Press obtained a copy of the paper, which has not been
publicly released.

Carr said Canada is keeping an open mind on finding new ways to settle
international trade disputes.

READ MORE: Canada escalates softwood lumber fight with U.S., asks WTO to
step in

“But the main point is, we believe the WTO, reformed and refreshed, is the
best way to re-establish a rules-based system.”

Carr said efforts to persuade the Americans to see that point would have
been “a lot harder” if Canada hadn’t preserved dispute resolutions
mechanisms in the newly renegotiated continental free trade pact, renamed
the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement.

“You want your major trading partners to admit that you need a dispute
settlement mechanism.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told an Edmonton radio station last month
that independent dispute resolution mechanisms, which the U.S. wanted to
scrap, needed to be preserved because Trump “doesn’t always follow the
rules as they’re laid out.”

Canada is inviting Australia, Brazil, Chile, the European Union, Japan,
Kenya, South Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore and Switzerland
to two days of talks on the WTO starting Oct. 24 in Ottawa.

The Canadian discussion paper lays out three broad themes for the
discussion: safeguarding and strengthening the dispute settlement system;
improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the WTO monitoring function;
and modernizing trade rules for the 21st Century.

On the latter point, the paper acknowledges that “aging trade rules need to
be updated urgently to respond to the needs of the modern global economy,”
but notes “there is a divergence about the priorities.”

The paper doesn’t single out the U.S. by name, but it makes clear that
international trading institutions are “increasingly fragile.”

“The challenges facing the multilateral trading system cannot be attributed
to any single cause or any single country,” the document says.

“However, the combination of disruption and paralysis has begun to erode
respect for rules-based trade, and the institutions that govern it, paving
the way for trade-distorting policies.”
Mr. B1ack
2018-10-04 22:24:12 UTC
And for that we're eternally grateful :-)
Rudy Canoza
2018-10-04 22:30:50 UTC
The words of an economically illiterate knuckle-dragging bumpkin.
Gronk
2018-10-11 03:52:38 UTC
Post by Mr. B1ack
On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 20:50:24 +0000 (UTC), Bloated Insane Pig Trump
U.S. not invited to Canada’s upcoming trade meeting
And for that we're eternally grateful :-)
Such sentiments are working out well for Ford Motors, isn't it?

Liberals are VERMIN!
2018-10-04 23:06:06 UTC
Yes, let the progressive scumbags PRETEND that ANY trade deals can be had without factoring the biggest elephant in the room. F----- left-lib morons.