Trudeau 'stabbed us in the back,' did 'a great disservice to the whole G7,' WH economic adviser Larry Kudlow says
Add Reply
Max Boot
2018-06-12 02:46:07 UTC
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau "stabbed us in the back" with a
"double cross" at the G7 summit, National Economic Council Director Larry
Kudlow said Sunday, ratcheting up already sky-high tensions between the
two neighboring allies.

"He holds a press conference, and he says the U.S. is insulting, and
Canada has to stand up for itself," Kudlow, the White House's top economic
adviser, said. "They have enormous tariffs, tariffs on certain dairy
products. ... He was polarizing."

Kudlow, who referred to Trudeau's actions several times as a "betrayal,"
told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union" that Trudeau "really kind
of stabbed us in the back."

"You know what, he did a great disservice to the whole G7," Kudlow added.

He called Trudeau's post-summit press conference, in which he said Canada
will not be "pushed around" by the U.S. after Trump had already left the
meeting, a “sophomoric, political stunt for domestic consumption.”

CNN Politics
?
@CNNPolitics
White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow says Canadian Prime Minister
Justin Trudeau “stabbed us in the back” #CNNSOTU https://cnn.it/2sKB0SG

6:08 AM - Jun 10, 2018
535
1,486 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
“President Trump played that process in good faith," Kudlow said. "So, I
ask you: He gets up in the airplane and leaves, and then Trudeau starts
blasting him at a domestic news conference? I am sorry, that’s a betrayal.
That’s a double cross.”

But, Kudlow said, the animosity wouldn't derail the decades-old North
American Free Trade Agreement, which Canada and the U.S. are currently
renegotiating with Mexico.

"We won't withdraw from NAFTA," Kudlow said. "We're heavy into
negotiations and the negotiation will either be bilateral or they'll be
trilateral."

Trump was aboard Air Force One heading to Singapore for a historic summit
with North Korea's Kim Jong Un when he issued a pair of tweets Saturday
criticizing the G-7 host and stepping back from the generally positive
tone that had ended the two-day meeting.

A few hours earlier, Trudeau had told reporters that all seven leaders had
come together to sign the joint declaration.

Donald J. Trump
?
@realDonaldTrump
PM Justin Trudeau of Canada acted so meek and mild during our @G7
meetings only to give a news conference after I left saying that, “US
Tariffs were kind of insulting” and he “will not be pushed around.” Very
dishonest & weak. Our Tariffs are in response to his of 270% on dairy!

4:04 PM - Jun 9, 2018
106K
89.6K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Trudeau said he had reiterated to Trump that tariffs would harm industries
and workers on both sides of the U.S.-Canada border. He said unleashing
retaliatory measures "is not something I relish doing" but that he
wouldn't hesitate to do so because "I will always protect Canadian workers
and Canadian interests."

"As Canadians, we are polite, we're reasonable, but also we will not be
pushed around," Trudeau said, and he described all seven leaders coming
together to sign a joint declaration despite having "some strong, firm
conversations on trade, and specifically on American tariffs."

In the air by then, Trump tweeted: "Based on Justin's false statements at
his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs
to our U.S. farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our U.S.
Reps not to endorse the Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles
flooding the U.S. Market!"

He followed up by tweeting: "PM Justin Trudeau of Canada acted so meek and
mild during our @G7 meetings only to give a news conference after I left
saying that, "US Tariffs were kind of insulting" and he "will not be
pushed around." Very dishonest & weak. Our Tariffs are in response to his
of 270% on dairy!"

A spokesman for Trudeau did not address Trump's insults in a statement.
"We are focused on everything we accomplished here at the #G7 summit,"
spokesman Cameron Ahmad said. "The prime minister said nothing he hasn't
said before — both in public, and in private conversations with the
president."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/10/trudeau-stabbed-us-in-back-did-
great-disservice-to-whole-g7-wh-economic-adviser-larry-kudlow-
says.html?intcmp=ob_article_sidebar_video&intcmp=obnetwork
The Doctor
2018-06-12 03:02:34 UTC
Post by Max Boot
[...]
Stuff you Yanks!
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -Seneca