CBC: Cultural Appropriation 101
Eric©
2017-05-17 19:25:01 UTC
'3 Indigenous writers discuss cultural appropriation with CBC's Rosanna Deerchild'

"'You can't just take Indigenous esthetics and culture and claim it as your own,' Jaimie
Isaac says"
http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/culural-appropriation-prize-1.4118940

Like this?

http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/2014/10/28/david_suzuki_credit_eagleclaw_thom
.jpg <http://bit.ly/2pUVlB3>
http://bit.ly/2pUZEwz
http://thegalleryofheroes.com/thegalleryofheroes/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/David-
Suzuki1.png

Nope, I'm still no further ahead as to what constitutes cultural appropriation,
officially.
Dave Smith
2017-05-17 19:52:16 UTC
Post by Eric©
Nope, I'm still no further ahead as to what constitutes cultural appropriation,
officially.
It is whiny politically correct bullshit. Certain groups are bitching
and whining because white people used some artistic form that they claim
to be part of their culture. For instance, a few months back a
university suspended its free yoga classes because someone complained
that it was part of an south asian religious practice. More recently, a
white woman was forced to pull her gallery showing because natives
whined about her style of painting to be cultural appropriation.
Basically, she was using childishly garish painting that was too similar
to the untrained native painters and using similar themes. However, I
have to ask who has appropriated whose culture because it involved oil
paints and canvas, and those are western European art supplies.
Eric©
2017-05-17 19:57:47 UTC
Dave Smith wrote...
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Eric©
Nope, I'm still no further ahead as to what constitutes cultural appropriation,
officially.
It is whiny politically correct bullshit. Certain groups are bitching
and whining because white people used some artistic form that they claim
to be part of their culture. For instance, a few months back a
university suspended its free yoga classes because someone complained
that it was part of an south asian religious practice. More recently, a
white woman was forced to pull her gallery showing because natives
whined about her style of painting to be cultural appropriation.
Basically, she was using childishly garish painting that was too similar
to the untrained native painters and using similar themes. However, I
have to ask who has appropriated whose culture because it involved oil
paints and canvas, and those are western European art supplies.
The whole thing is a recipe for laughter and a whole lot of hypocrisy - which is why I
don't think we'll ever see hard-and-fast rules or definitions re cultural appropriation.
The goalposts need to be very movable, depending on things like race, sex, political pov,
the weather, etc etc.
b***@hotmail.com
2017-05-17 21:40:24 UTC
Simple instance: if you write a novel about being abysmally stupid, bigoted, illiterate and lacking personal hygiene, then Topz and Alleycat will sue you for "appropriating their lives and cultures".
Greg Carr
2017-05-18 17:23:25 UTC
LOL good one.
Dave Smith
2017-05-17 22:13:52 UTC
Post by Eric©
Dave Smith wrote...
Post by Dave Smith
Post by Eric©
[...]
I do agree that we need standards. They must first establish what the
fuck cultural appropriation is. The culture must have complete ownership
of the subject they think is being appropriated. It must work two ways.
Any member of a group who thinks their culture has been appropriate
should be able to show that the theme or technique was exclusively
associated with them and their specific culture, and that their culture
has not adopted or adapted things from other cultures.

In our country, the native people like to be called "first nations"
these days, and there are hundreds of these little "nations" and each on
wants to be thought of as a specific culture, and they are quite
diverse. I would suggest that for some from the Six Nations to be making
or using a dream catcher is as much a cultural appropriation as a white
person carving Eskimo gods in soapstone.

In the most recent case that I referred to, the kerfuffle was over a
woman's use of nativish themes using oil paints on canvas. The was I see
it, natives using oil paints, acrylics or water colours have
appropriated white European art forms.
Eric©
2017-05-18 20:57:40 UTC
Dave Smith wrote...
Post by Dave Smith
[...]
Blonde-haired, blue-eyed native woman explains cultural appropriation to the white folks.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/cultural-appropriation-1.4119849
Dave Smith
2017-05-18 21:40:41 UTC
Post by Eric©
Dave Smith wrote...
Post by Dave Smith
[...]
Ah yes....it is defined to be a one way street. Their view is that it is
when elements of a marginalized culture are taken and used by another
culture with a sense of entitlement. They have tried to write the rules
so that it does not apply to them when they do the same thing. Where do
they fit into it when there are native rappers. Rap is a black for of
art/ music<?>.

They give an example of people using Indian headdresses inappropriately,
claiming that they have to be earned. Well, those things are also known
as war bonnets and were worn only by a small number of people in a
very limited number of tribes. Basically, it is a form that is
irrelevant to natives except those in the southern region of the
prairies. Despite there being hundreds of "nations" and dozens of
tribes, they all try to identify as being one culture and consider
themselves, as "first nations" to appropriate it.

---

2017-05-18 00:41:45 UTC
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1442917/images/o-DAVID-SUZUKI-facebook.jpg
http://news.umanitoba.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/DavidSuzukiEvent-UMToday.jpg
http://thegalleryofheroes.com/thegalleryofheroes/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/David-
Suzuki1.png
Nope, I'm still no further ahead as to what constitutes cultural appropriation,
officially.
The WooWooWooWoo warcry the "Indians" make in Hollywood was common to most western Gauls..
God knows but Highland regiments did it too.... Nothing's official (and Sacred too) ;-)

Eric©
2017-05-18 19:03:46 UTC
Dhu on Gate wrote...
Post by Dhu on Gate
Post by Eric©
[...]
Dhu
And Scotsmen should have the patent on skirts.