Liquor permit rip offs
2018-04-06 14:51:51 UTC
I went to the liquor store yesterday to get a special occasion permit to
sell wine at our local art festival. Last year it cost $75 for the SOP
for the three day event and was expecting about the same this year. I
was told they no longer handle them at the store level. I would have to
go online, set up an account and apply there.

Everything went fairly smoothly until I went to the check out, expecting
to be billed $75. Nope.... $450.

I went back and reviewed the application. Then I called the AGCO to
talk to a person and get some help. It turned out I had done everything
out. Since we charge admission to the event and sell alcohol, the SOP
fee is now $150 per day.

Last year we had teams of Smart Serve certified volunteers working the
three days of the event and netted only $350. The new fee means the
government will make more money of our wine sales than we do.
Roy
2018-04-06 15:09:05 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
[...]
Do you think that they really care? Governments are always leaches who
use their CONTROL whenever they can. The people lost control years ago...
we are at their mercy...piss on the bastards. Keep turfing until a better lot appears.
simplicity
And why, in your opinion, is that, Roy?
Eric®
Time to open up a little room out the back.
simplicity
2018-04-07 19:42:30 UTC
Post by Dave Smith
[...]
All I can say is that having the government profit from the initiatives taken by not-for-profit organizations and executed by volunteers is just sick.