fantastic negative result
Add Reply
Oleg Smirnov
2016-06-06 10:43:15 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/jmgovul> theglobeandmail.com

Former U.S. diplomat criticizes Canada's 'weakness' on Russia

President Barack Obama's former ambassador to Russia says Canada is showing a
"sign of weakness" by not pushing ahead with a promised U.S.-style Magnitsky
Act that would punish Russians deemed to be human-rights violators with visa
bans and asset freezes.

Michael McFaul, who served as the U.S. envoy to Moscow from 2012 to 2014 and
before that was Mr. Obama's special White House adviser on Russia, said Canada
should follow the U.S. lead even if it infuriates the Kremlin.

He expressed disappointment with Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion for
rejecting all-party calls for a Canadian version of the Magnitsky Act. ..

<http://tinyurl.com/zw8zt9h> viettimes.vn

In an interview with The POSTIMEES of Estonia, Former US Ambassador Michael
McFaul says Russia should have "concrete response" to Russia's recent
activities. .. "The US needs to restrain Russia in line with the needs and
respond to it," - the diplomat said and added that Russia's actions are said
to have forced NATO "response to threats from Moscow". Also, McFaul said that
the NATO toward Russian borders is legal because she has never heard of the US
promised not to expand NATO eastward. "this promise has not been given, " ..

Mr. McFaul proved himself a moron when he served as the US envoy. Likely he
feels some butthurt after his Moscow experience, and perhaps it explains why
he is now persistently telling lies and issues bloodthirsty calls to do
something about Russia. Meanwhile the US vassals likely might notice that the
Obama's silly effort to isolate / ostracize Russia has proven to be a failure.
<http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/8189/social-media-censorship>
European Union Declares War on Internet Free Speech
Oleg Smirnov
2016-06-08 20:33:25 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/jrnmmtl> globalresearch.ca

Governing Through Lies And Deception

Mark Taliano | June 08, 2016

On September 16, 2005, Canada's Liberal Prime Minister, Paul Martin, addressed
"The High Level Meeting of the Sixtieth Session of the United Nations General
Assembly" <http://migre.me/u3fE5>:

"Clearly, we need expanded guidelines for Security Council action to make
clear our responsibility to act decisively to prevent humanity's attack on
humanity. The "Responsibility to Protect" is one such guideline. It seeks
rules to protect the innocent against appalling assaults on their life and
dignity. It does not bless unilateral action. To the contrary, it stands for
clear, multilaterally-agreed criteria on what the international community
should do when civilians are at risk."

These "expanded guidelines" as expressed by Martin, were later exploited to
launch the criminal invasion of Libya, in which Canada played an important
role.

Instead of "protecting the Libyan people", the guidelines were used to attack
the wealthiest nation in Africa, to support proxy ground forces (al-Qaeda),
and to destroy the country.

The notion that Libyans needed "protection" was engineered through a campaign
to demonize Libya's leader, Mohammar Gaddafi. The West used an arsenal of
evidence-free allegations, largely unchallenged by corporate media, to press
its case. Maximilian C. Forte lists the lies in "The Top Ten Myths in the War
Against Libya" <http://migre.me/u3fFA> :

a.. Genocide
b.. Gadaffi is "bombing his own people".
c.. "Save Benghazi"
d.. African mercenaries
e.. Viagara-fueled mass rape
f.. Gaddafi - the Demon
g.. Freedom Fighters - the Angels

The lies also masked Libya's socially-oriented governance
<http://migre.me/u3fGT> that boasted remarkable achievements:

a.. Human Development Index (HDI), a measure of health, education, and
income, ranked above the regional average
b.. the highest standard of living in Africa
c.. Free public health care, and free public education
d.. 89% adult literacy rate (with girls outnumbering boys by 10% in
secondary and tertiary education)
e.. Subsidized, affordable food
f.. Homelessness all but wiped out

In reality, then, the R2P legislation served as a cover to enable the
inversion of its professed goal. Instead of protecting Libya and Libyans, it
destroyed both. ..

Canada's disregard for international law and order Canadian was also in full
view when it supported the Canada-Honduras Free Trade deal not long after the
democratically-elected Zelaya government was deposed by an illegal,
Washington-orchestrated coup. ..

Canada's foreign policy duplicity is also inherent in its support another
illegal government: that of the neo-Nazi infested regime, offspring of the
Western-orchestrated coup that deposed the elected government of President
Yanuyovch. ..

More recently, our duplicity was in full view when Defence Minister, Harjit
Sajjan, stated publicly that "Assad must go" <http://migre.me/u3fZb>. This,
despite the fact that engineering regime change in a sovereign, foreign
country, contradicts international law; despite the fact that Canada's
previous bombing campaign against Syria (now more of a support role), was a
clear violation of international law; and despite the fact that the current
sanctions levied against Syria are illegal as well.

Clearly, Canada's humanitarian proclamations are hollow facades engineered to
fool Canadians into thinking that we have a benevolent foreign policy, even as
evidence demonstrates the opposite.

Instead of supporting democracy and the rule of international law, our
government practices public deception and subterfuge to conceal its criminal
international policies which deny and negate both democracy and international
law.

Increasingly, our elected governments are ruling through lies and deceptions;
the consent that they are engineering is not informed consent. "Democracy" and
Canada's current political economy flow in opposite directions.
Oleg Smirnov
2016-07-10 11:20:11 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/gtlz2o5> russia-insider.com

Browder Almighty Who Passes Laws in Congress and Censors Worldwide Media!
Why an investigative documentary by a former Kremlin accuser is banned in the
West

Andrei Nekrasov, Roman Golovanov | 9 Jul

.. Who stole a quarter of a billion

- Andrei, why did you choose this story to investigate?

- In the West Magnitsky is known solely as a whistleblower who paid with his
life. My movie is a bomb for the West, that ignored the facts. I did not plan
to investigate anything. I thought Magnitsky revealed everything and Browder
told us about it. The film was shot in Kiev in the fall of 2014, and even then
I started to realize that everything was much more complicated. Browder's
claims were not substantiated. For example, it was not Magnitsky who went to
the police with revelations, it was the other way around: law enforcement
called him in for questioning in the already existing criminal case.

- So. you started filming firmly believing in good Browder and bad Russia who
killed Magnitsky?

- Yes, even in the movie, Browder's account of searches in his companies,
confiscation of documents, remains. Browder's companies were stolen and it is
Magnitsky who goes to the police where he is beaten with batons. That is how
our story begins.

- What about the end?

- This picture has almost nothing to do with Magnitsky's death. It's about
three Russian companies that Browder owned through offshore companies. They
paid taxes from sales of Gazprom shares, then declared losses and the state
returned their tax payments - a quarter of a billion dollars! That was the
crime. The question is: who controlled the companies when the payments were
returned? Browder says that at the time the money was transferred, they had
already been 'taken over'). But he is suspected of lying, he recovered his
money through stooges.

- Do you have proof?

- The movie doesn't accuse him of stealing the money, and I do not have direct
evidence. But Magnitsky, may have filled out required documents. The main
question is, were Browder companies stolen or not? I proved that Browder's
story about Magnitsky is a lie, possibly invented to distract attention from
real machinations involving enormous sums.

"I used the same sources as Browder"

- How did Magnitsky die?

- He died from a heart attack. By the end of his life he had hepatitis,
pancreatitis, diabetes, obesity - a whole bunch of diseases. I have sincere
sympathy for Sergei and his family, but it is not me who is using his tragedy,
it is Mr. Browder. Nobody tormented or tortured Magnitsky. There was criminal
negligence by the doctor. Even the psychiatric emergency doctor Kornilov, who
Browder often cites and who arrived on Magnitsky's call three hours before his
death, never mentions signs of beating. The conclusion by the Public Oversight
Commission, does not say that Magnitsky was beaten or killed. Some believe
that his death benefitted Browder. There is no proof of that, but it's clear
that Russia did not need to murder an accountant.

- Are the facts supported by documents?

- I used open sources. At first, trusting Browder, I used his two sites. All
the documents are there. I'm sure they forgot to remove some of the material.
Comparing investigator reports, and records of interrogations, I came to the
conclusion that Magnitsky was not killed. Also there was a forensic
examination. Browder says these sources are unreliable, but he quotes them
when it is beneficial for him.

Frau turns into Fury

- Did Browder lobby the Magnitsky Act in the US?

- Of course he lobbied it, that's the whole point.

- How did the movie affect you?

- I was seriously worried about all this.. I sincerely love the country,
previously I contributed to its democratization - I was involved in opposition
politics, knew Nemtsov, talked with Yashin and Kasyanov. Magnitsky was my
hero, next after Litvinenko. I could make a movie in line with this, but what
changed is not the story itself, it was how I understood my role in Russian
society. I came to serious conclusions and cannot be silent about it.

- Why are there so many scandals around the movie in the West?

- Browder has lawyers in every country. They threaten organizers of screenings
and the companies who financed my film, which are Western state owned, not
private! You cannot condemn the movie as Russian propaganda! They banned
showings in Belgium, threatened a German channel, in Norway we could only show
the movie on our second try. In the US there was a closed screening of the
movie, but Browder tried to cancel that as well.

He has unlimited financial resources, and I don't have money to sue him. I
have always criticized Russia for censorship and I remain a critic of the
authorities now. Earlier my movies were banned in Russia, now they are not
shown in the West. This is a cruel joke! The most terrifying thing is that
Browder can call you a liar and a bastard dancing on a grave, he can destroy
your reputation, insult your mother, and you cant do anything about it.

- Did Browder sue for libel?

- No, because he would have to refute details of the story. I think he's
afraid of that. ..

Read it in full <http://tinyurl.com/gtlz2o5>
<http://tinyurl.com/z8z4rv9>
Brexit Is Only the Latest Proof of the Insularity and Failure of Western
Establishment Institutions
Oleg Smirnov
2016-10-01 22:42:32 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/jbznon5> ctvnews.ca

Liberals plan Arctic co-operation with Russia ..

OTTAWA -- Canada and Russia will hold a joint conference on Arctic
co-operation next month in Ottawa .. the two countries have to talk because
between them they control three quarters of the Arctic -- Russia, half and
Canada a quarter.

"Preventing scientists from these countries from talking to one another is
irrational. Our government wishes to be rational," she said in a speech
Thursday at Carleton University in Ottawa ..

Goldsmith-Jones said the Liberals are focused on promoting the "responsible
extraction of resources" while preserving a fragile ecosystem.
<http://tinyurl.com/gq5vakn>
Gazprom Plans to Further Increase Gas Exports to Non-CIS Countries
Byker
2016-10-02 02:53:18 UTC
Kinda like in "Ice Station Zebra"?
Oleg Smirnov
2016-06-20 04:00:10 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/hb4ohwq> nationalinterest.org

Here's a retelling about the 'new' findings with more specific details.

<http://archive.is/PtF1s> ft.com
Russia: Magnitsky's bitter legacy / The 'established' story of an accountant
who died in police custody and a fraud is being challenged

Compare it to 'established' story <http://archive.is/c9MVn>

<http://tinyurl.com/grb3nxj> foreignpolicy.com <http://archive.is/pUk3r>

Millionaire Tries to Stop Documentary Claiming to Tell the True Story of
Russia's Missing $230 Million

HENRY JOHNSON | JUNE 10, 2016

.. Next Monday, the Russian-born Nekrasov will finally get his chance to
premiere it at the Newseum, a journalism history museum in Washington.
Nekrasov is showing it to a private audience whose invitees include
congressional staffers, State Department employees, members of the White House
National Security Council, and journalists. Investigative reporter Seymour
Hersh will moderate the screening.

The film centers on Sergei Magnitsky, who human rights activists believe was
murdered in 2009 after accusing the Russian police of stealing an estimated
$230 million from the state treasury.

But according to Nekrasov, that narrative is wrong. By his telling, Russian
authorities were the victims of a massive theft, not the perpetrators. The
film, he told Foreign Policy in a telephone interview, provides strong
circumstantial evidence that Magnitsky's boss, Bill Browder, was possibly
involved in the multimillion dollar theft from Russian taxpayers.

Sonya Gavankar, the Newseum's manager of public relations, told FP in an email
that the museum would screen the film despite a letter from Browder's lawyers
demanding that it be cancelled.

Browder was one of the first Westerners to cash in on the fall of communism in
Russia, starting Hermitage Capital Management in 1996 with just $25 million in
seed capital. Within a few years, he became the largest investor in Russia, at
one point managing $4.5 billion in capital, and staying on Moscow's good side
by vocally supporting Russian President Vladimir Putin.

His riches-to-super-riches story came to an abrupt end, however, in November
2005, when Russia blacklisted Browder as a threat to national security for
auditing the companies he invested in and leaking details of insider trading
and corruption to the press. A year-and-a-half later, police officers raided
his firm's office in Moscow and confiscated paperwork.

Here's where the accounts diverge: Browder says the police then stole three of
his holding companies and used them to claim a $230 million tax rebate;
Nekrasov, who previously directed films critical of the Kremlin, argues that
authorities were investigating Hermitage Capital over legitimate concerns
about large-scale tax evasion.

"I can prove in court that Browder is not telling the truth," Nekrasov told FP
in an interview from Berlin.

His accusation, stunning if true, has alienated friends, enraged Browder, and
threatens to tarnish the director's well-respected career.

It would also undermine the narrative behind the Magnitsky Act, a U.S. law
passed in 2012 to punish those responsible for the tax lawyer's arrest,
torture, and death in custody. ..

Nekrasov told FP he set out to make a film based on Browder's story that would
be "a docu-drama praising Magnitsky." Instead, he says close to two years of
research led him to conclude that the conventional narrative was false. He
said funding for the film came exclusively from mainstream western European
organizations.

Nekrasov's film documents how he went from trusting Browder's word to
disbelieving it. The director says he began to doubt the hedge fund manager
after reading the actual police reports in Russian. For example, Nekrasov
argues that Magnitsky's first contact with the police was not a voluntary act
of whistleblowing, as Browder maintains, but a record of the police
questioning him as a key witness in a tax evasion investigation.

Among Russian activists, Nekrasov said, Magnitsky is seen as a hero and
Browder as truthsayer. Any revelation that sullies them could be a bitter pill
to swallow.

"The worst criticism comes from my Russian friends," he said. "Most of my
friends are completely pro-Browder, and Putin doesn't have any influence over
them. I became like a traitor."

Browder has thwarted Nekrasov's previous attempts to show the film with
threats of legal action. The first time, he intervened at the last minute to
stop Nekrasov, with Blu-ray disc in hand, from showing it to an audience of
European Union parliamentarians at the their headquarters in Brussels.

Around the time of that planned screening, Magnitsky's mother and widow
denounced Nekrasov's film in a joint letter to the European Parliament.
Browder's lawyers also have sent letters threatening to sue the producers and
venues that have tried to screen the film, according to Nekrasov.

In a phone call with FP, Browder said he would pursue legal action against the
Newseum if he perceived it as backing the movie "in any way."

"They're on record now for knowing the libel," he said, referring to a list of
supporting evidence he gave to the Newseum.

"We've explained to them that this movie is a fraud and that it contains false
information, so if they continue to support it then they're disseminating this
false narrative," Browder said. "They have a choice. They can stop it."

Magnitsky's widow and mother have asked the Newseum to shut down the program.
On Thursday, they sent a letter to the board of trustees urging them to "stop
an evil and vindictive attack on our deceased husband and son."

Browder and Magnitsky's family believe that a Russian implicated in the tax
fraud is funding the screening at the Newseum.

Browder said he has evidence that Denis Katsyv, a Russian national under
investigation by the U.S. Justice Department for taking some of the $230
million, is funding the Potomac Square Group to rent out the room at the
Newseum. The Potomac Square Group, a public relations firm in Washington, is
also representing Nekrasov.

"This has nothing to do with free speech. It has to do with laying out false
information by alleged Russian gangsters who are currently under investigation
and being sued by Department of Justice," Browder said.

In an email to FP, Christopher Cooper, a partner at the Potomac Square Group,
denied Browder's allegation that he was representing Katsyv's company.

Nekrasov also denied knowledge of this arrangement and said he'd "be very
curious to see what this evidence is," though he did admit to knowing Katsyv.

Nekrasov told FP that his experience dealing with Browder "has been a bit
depressing, to be frank."

"What I discovered is how easy it is - if you have a lot of money - to
basically gag somebody," Nekrasov said.
<http://tinyurl.com/hcr9xfj>
.. Review of Devastating Film About Bill Browder Which He Tried to Suppress
Oleg Smirnov
2016-06-21 10:10:12 UTC
Post by Oleg Smirnov
<http://tinyurl.com/hb4ohwq> nationalinterest.org
<http://tinyurl.com/grb3nxj> foreignpolicy.com <http://archive.is/pUk3r>
Millionaire Tries to Stop Documentary Claiming to Tell the True Story of
Russia's Missing $230 Million
<http://sptnkne.ws/b5T6>
WASHINGTON (Sputnik) - The Global Magnitsky Act, to sanction individuals
responsible for gross violations of human rights worldwide, was approved
as part of the 2017 US defense budget and will likely pass into law this
year, US Senator and bill sponsor Ben Cardin told Sputnik. ..

Piss on Putin
2016-06-21 19:39:34 UTC
Oleg Smirnov
2016-06-21 18:28:51 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/j2v2hk8> consortiumnews.com

WPost's 'Agit-Prop' for the New Cold War

Robert Parry | June 21, 2016

.. The Magnitsky narrative has now become so engrained in Western geopolitical
mythology that the storyline apparently can no longer be questioned or
challenged, which brings us to the current controversy about a new documentary
that turns the case upside-down and again reveals the superficiality, bias and
hypocrisy of the West's politicians and news media.

The West's reaction (OS: Today, in many cases, 'the West' seems to be the far
the lesser relevant term to me, it's rather American / Atlanticist reaction)
has been to block the public airing of the documentary - to any significant
audience - while simultaneously branding it Russian "agit-prop," the attack
line used by The Washington Post in a Monday editorial <http://durl.me/chhjcu>
In other words, the treatment of the film is reminiscent of a totalitarian
society where the public only hears about dissent when the Official Organs of
the State denounce some almost unknown person. ..

Watching the Film

After reading the Post's editorial, I managed to get a password for viewing
the documentary, "The Magnitsky Act. Behind the Scenes," on the Internet and I
was struck by how thoroughly dishonest and "highly selective" the Post's
editors had been in their attack on the film.

For instance, the Post writes, "The film is a piece of agitprop that mixes
fact and fiction to blame Magnitsky for the fraud and absolve Russians of
blame for his death." While it is correct that Nekrasov "mixes fact and
fiction," that is because the documentary is, in part, the story of his
planned docu-drama which was intended to embrace and dramatize Browder's
narrative. Nekrasov begins the project as Browder's friend and ally.

It was during the docu-drama's production that Nekrasov begins to detect
inconsistencies and contradictions in Browder's storyline, including how a
woman executive in one of Browder's shell companies alerted police to the
tax-fraud scam, not Magnitsky, and that Magnitsky as an accountant in the
business was called in for questioning by police. In other words, Magnitsky
comes across as a criminal suspect, not a noble whistleblower.

As the documentary proceeds, Nekrasov struggles with the dilemma as his
scripted docu-drama portraying Magnitsky as a martyr falls apart. When
Nekrasov's questions become more pointed, his friendship with Browder also
painfully unravels.

One of the powerful aspects of the film is that it shows Browder grow petulant
and evasive as his well-received narrative begins to come undone, both in
interviews with Nekrasov and in a videotaped deposition from a related civil
case.

Key points of the deception are revealed not by Kremlin officials but by
Magnitsky's supporters who challenge pieces of Browder's embroidered story,
such as elevating Magnitsky from an accountant to a "lawyer."

Another key piece of Browder's tale - that corrupt police raided his offices
to seize original corporate records and seals to set up shell companies to
perpetrate the tax fraud - crumbles when Nekrasov shows Russian laws that
don't require such records and discovers that the registrations were
accomplished by straw men apparently controlled by Browder and operating under
powers of attorney.

Though I am no expert on the Magnitsky case - and there surely may be flaws in
the documentary - what is clear is that the widely accepted version of the
Magnitsky case, portraying him and his boss as noble do-gooders who become
victims of a convoluted police conspiracy, is no longer tenable or at least
deserves a serious reexamination.

But preventing the Western public from seeing this important film - and then
demonizing it in a Washington Post editorial on the assumption that almost no
one will see it - amount to the behavior of a totalitarian society where
"agit-prop" does rule, except in this case it is anti-Russian agit-prop that
escapes any serious scrutiny.
Piss on Putin
2016-06-21 19:38:51 UTC
Oleg Smirnov
2016-06-20 04:00:15 UTC
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Nekrasov>
<http://on.rt.com/7fgy>
'He was not killed, he died': Kremlin critic's Magnitsky
movie premiers in US, exposing Browder
Links to learn more about what it's all about
<http://tinyurl.com/hkqgjna>
<http://huff.to/1TqdzY0>
<http://tinyurl.com/h3lbqzt>
<http://tinyurl.com/zzho48a>
Film About Russian Lawyer's Death Creates an Uproar
<http://tinyurl.com/gmeojbp>
MEPs dragged into Russia film row
<https://euobserver.com/foreign/133221>
EU and US duped on Russia corruption, film-maker claims
I can't know for sure what really happened when Mr.
Magnitsky was in jail, but it's clear to me that he was
not a 'prominent whistleblower', and his boss Mr. Browder
was not saintly in his commercial activities in Russia.
Mr. Browder is a grandson of the General Secretary of the
Communist Party of USA, his grandmother was living in the
USSR, so it's likely that he has some 'special' links in
the modern Russia. In 2005, Browder made a strong effort
to campaign for promotion of Western investments in the
Russian industries. He claimed that there's a favorable
investment climate in Russia, and Putin does all right.
Maybe it may be explained by the fact that by that time
he owned a large stake in the Russian stocks, so he was
interested to raise prices on the Russian stock exchange.
After learning some more details I found that the Browder's business
was already under investigation in Russia in 2004. The fact allows to
suggest that his 2005 enthusiastic efforts to promote investments in
Russia along with his ardent pro-Putin speeches at the time might be
also motivated by logic 'I provide you a promotion, and you forgive
me the tax evasion and other violations'. Maybe he tried to make such
a 'deal' with some of the second-tier officials in Russia.
Oleg Smirnov
2016-11-14 16:24:14 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/zqxdflu> indy100.com

Canadians are open to four US states joining the country

Following the news that Donald Trump would be the the 45th President of the
United States, Canada's immigration website was so flooded with requests from
US citizens that it actually crashed.

Fortunately it seems that some US citizens may not have to travel very far at
all to achieve Canadian citizenship - at least if a proposal for it to accept
four US states works out. ..

Dear California, Oregon, Washington - I'm sure we can work something
out if you want to join Canada.#ElectionNight
- Chad Harris (@ChadHarrisBC) November 9, 2016 ..

CA, OR, and WA should either be a new country known as Cow or a Canadian
province(also known as Cow).#CalExit
- Denmark Gacayan (@tekniks) November 9, 2016 ..

California, Oregon & Washington say Bye Bye! Nevada U2 :)#Election2016
pic.twitter.com/oE9LNPTCUW
- Tom Hall ? (@TomHall) November 9, 2016 ..

Here's the map.
Btw, "Yes California" has already opened a few of their consulates in Russia.
<http://archive.is/HcThh>
Anti-Americanism Across the Continent
Oleg Smirnov
2017-01-29 20:07:29 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/zbvxggr> unz.com

A "Color Revolution" Is Under Way in the United States

THE SAKER | JANUARY 28, 201

A Russian joke goes like this: "Question: why can there be no color revolution
in the United States? Answer: because there are no US Embassies in the United
States."

Funny, maybe, but factually wrong: I believe that a color revolution is being
attempted in the USA right now.

Politico seems to feel the same way. See their recent cover
<http://u.to/tHuwDw> (OS: "America, You Look Like an Arab Country Right Now
Welcome to the club.") ..

.. the Soros crowd has already chosen a color: pink. We now are witnessing
the "pussyhat revolution" as explained on this website <http://u.to/OHywDw>.
And if you think that this is just a small fringe of lunatic feminists, you
would be quite wrong. For the truly lunatic feminists the "subtle" hint about
their "pussyhat revolution" is too subtle ..

This would all be rather funny, in a nauseating way I suppose, if it wasn't
for the fact that the media, Congress and Hollywood are fully behind this "100
days of Resistance to Trump" which began by a, quote, "queer dance party" at
Mike Pence's house.

This would be rather hilarious, if it was not for all gravitas with which the
corporate media is treating these otherwise rather pathetic "protests". ..

So far, the protests have not been too large, but they did occur in various US
cities and they were well covered by the media .. Make no mistake, such
protests are no more spontaneous than the ones in the Ukraine. Somebody is
paying for all this, somebody is organizing it all. And they are using their
full bag of tricks. ..

My purpose .. is to suggest the following: far from having accepted defeat,
the Neocons and the US deep state have decided, as they always do, to double-
down and they are now embarking on a full-scale "color revolution" .. It
amazes me to see that the very same people which have demonized Putin for
years are now demonizing Trump using exactly the same methods. ..

Read nore <http://tinyurl.com/zbvxggr>
<http://tinyurl.com/zvp4tnl>
Russia's Leery Reaction to President Trump
Oleg Smirnov
2017-02-25 12:21:43 UTC
That's what sharply catches the eye when you look at what's going on within
the Atlanticist 'informational space'. In the mainstream mass media, it's
become a common practice to cite various anonymous sources reportedly from
the US government or intelligence, non-named high-ranked US officials and so
on. Bold claims presented in such a way produce a stir among the public,
cause many comments and become a subject to a lively discussion. The
situation indicates the fact that the Atlanticist public has degraded to a
level when it would easily consume any anonymous stuff, and eventually no
one can be held accountable for initial injection of a misinformation. But
since you have spent a big time / big mental effort while discussing
unverifiable claims or anonymous allegations, not grounded on facts, you
start to tend to believe that what you were discussing so-o much must have
really happened, at least to some extent. Otherwise, why'd you discuss it so
much, isn't it?
<http://tinyurl.com/jf46lxm> cnn.com

White House blocks news organizations from press briefing

Dylan Byers, Sara Murray, Kevin Liptak | February 24, 2017

CNN and other news outlets were blocked on Friday from attending an off-camera
White House press briefing that other reporters were hand-picked to attend ..
"They are the enemy of the people because they have no sources," Trump said.
"They just make them up when there are none."
He also said reporters "shouldn't be allowed" to use unnamed sources.

I think, it's largely depends on the quality of the audience. If public did
not buy 'stories' based on unnamed or non-credible sources then the mass media
would not dare to abuse it. Prohibition on reference to the anonymous sources
can entail risk of the opposite extreme, but it can be an adequate measure if
the people are gullible, and the media are abusing the gullibility.

Public in the post-Soviet space got [partly] vaccinated against the media in
the later Soviet period (there was a time when nobody took the mainstream
press to heart and all were trying to read it between the lines at best). The
Americans as well as other 'western' people are not vaccinated against the
media. They rather were accustomed to believe that their media are free,
independent, and competitive, and thus they can provide an unbiased, accurate
and comprehensive news coverage, and this is a dangerous delusion.

.. 90% of what most people read, watch, or listen to in the U.S. comes
from an entity that is owned by 1 of 6 corporate conglomerates: Comcast,
Disney Company, News Corporation, Time Warner, Viacom and CBS Corporation.
Each of these six conglomerates, in turn, has financial relations through
boards of directors who have ties to other corporate interests, namely
the Military-Industrial Complex (MIC), Fossil Fuels, Banking, Big Ag, and
Big Pharma .. <http://tinyurl.com/o3mk7qr>

The US public (at least, a half of it) now begins to get rid of the delusion.

In addition to the 'unnamed sources', another issue is about unverifiable or
hardly verifiable claims. If something happens with Orwell Dam then there
would likely be firsthand witnesses. If an organization claims it has been
attacked by hackers, - it's much less verifiable. If something happens in a
remote place, from which news come through a small number of 'channels' and
[distorting] filters, then it's less verifiable (at least, immediately).
All such issues provide a opportunity for manipulation by means of the media.
Oleg Smirnov
2017-03-02 03:20:02 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/zn9l673> antiwar.com

Enemy of the Year: Why Russia?

What's up with the current Russophobia craze?

Justin Raimondo | March 01, 2017

.. now is the time to answer it: the Democratic party and its media minions
are demanding an "investigation" (i.e. a fishing expedition) into the burning
question of whether the President of the United States is the Manchurian
Candidate: "Putin's puppet," as Hillary Clinton infamously averred. Our
out-of-control intelligence agencies are furiously pushing the same line. ..

OS. That's how America in decline looks like.

.. And speaking of following the money, another big factor energizing the
anti-Russian campaign is:

2) The Russian diaspora - When Putin came to power one of the first things he
did was go after the infamous oligarchs who had backed - and manipulated - his
predecessor, Boris Yeltsin. Under the drunken Yeltsin, these "entrepreneurs"
had used the State apparatus to "privatize" (i.e. loot) what had previously
been the State-owned economy, gobbling up entire sectors at unbelievably cheap
prices. Putin moved to disassemble what was a competing power center, and the
result was the flight of the oligarchs to the West. Having put their
ill-gotten gains in Western banks and holding companies, they shacked up in
London, New York, Switzerland, and the French Riviera, where they plotted
Putin's overthrow and their triumphant return.

There's an awful lot of money sloshing around in these circles, and a good
part of it is being used to buy up media properties that act as outlets for
anti-Russian propaganda. Newspapers, think tanks, and various other vehicles
for the molding of public opinion are financed by this Russian Diaspora, which
acts as an intellectual Praetorian Guard for the politicians hoping to ride
the wave of anti-Russia sentiment. They act as a lobby on behalf of the arms
industry, and the political forces that stand to gain from the anti-Russian
campaign - but they are not alone. ..

Read more <http://tinyurl.com/zn9l673>

Yes, the 1990s were quite a disastrous mess in Russia, when various parasitic
shit had been brought to the surface. In the 2000s, such destructive elements
were partly cleansed or shifted aside from their positions. This explains the
nature of the shrill choir of 'the Russian best and brightest' that cries and
raves and rambles about the terrible dictatorship in Russia.
<http://tinyurl.com/job5u3r>
Mainstream Media's 'Victimhood'
Oleg Smirnov
2017-03-07 13:15:21 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/hcp37wf> spectator.co.uk

The Left's great Russian conspiracy theory

Brendan O'Neill | 2 March 2017

The chattering classes have officially lost it. On both sides of the Atlantic.
Of course they'd been teetering on the cliff edge of sanity for a while,
following the bruising of their beloved EU by 17m angry Brits and Hillary's
loss to that orange muppet they thought no one except rednecks would vote for.
But now they've gone over. They're falling fast. They're speeding away from
the world of logic into a cesspit of conspiracy and fear. It's tragic. Or
hilarious. One or the other. .. The liberal-left has come to be polluted by
the paranoid style of McCarthyist thinking since Trump's victory. ..

It used to be right-wingers who fretted over Russians and Reds and pinkos
colonising Westerners' lives and minds. Now it's lefties. Trump is regularly
called 'Putin's puppet'. He's an 'unwitting agent' of Moscow, we're told. ..
a Putin-moulded footsoldier of Russian interests who'll assassinate the a
American way of life, if not American citizens. ..

Dear, dear me. What has become of these people? They really believe Putin made
Brexit happen? That Ruskies tampered with vote counts in the US? That Russian
computer bots 'read minds'? They've lost it. They've gone. The very people who
for years talked about the problem of conspiracy theories have become the
keenest spreaders of conspiracy theories. The people who spent the past few
months banging on about the 'post-truth' politics of Brexit and Trump have
shown they don't have the first clue what truth is. The people who posed as
champions of logic have revealed themselves as peddlers of paranoia. ..

Those who orchestrate it, aren't really paranoid. I think they're pretty calm
and cynical. It's more about the populace that buy all this and are willing to
behave as an easily manipulatable herd of sheep.
<http://www.unz.com/freed/a-budget-without-russians/>
A Budget Without Russians
Oleg Smirnov
2017-03-15 20:53:02 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/gw4phc5> moonofalabama.org

The Democrats Anti-Russia Campaign Falls Apart

March 14, 2017

.. After raising all kinds of shambolic rumors about "Russian interference"
the "western" intelligence agencies are walking back their previous outrageous
claims:

a.. Former DNI James Clapper admits
that he
has zero evidence for any Trump-Russia collusion;
b.. The British Secretary of Shame now says <http://u.to/xe3KDw> there is
"no evidence" of any Russian interference with British democracy;
c.. The German secret services have no proof <http://u.to/2O3KDw> (in
German) for any Russian disinformation campaign.

There is no evidence for any Russian interference in the U.S., or any other,
election. No evidence has been show, despite many claims, that Russia or its
proxies hacked John Podesta's emails or the DNC or collaborated with
Wikileaks.

Even the Democrats now concede <http://u.to/-_3KDw> that the whole mountain of
bullshit their anti-Trump and anti-Russian campaign created stinks to high
heaven:

[S]ome Democrats on the Intelligence Committee now quietly admit, after
several briefings and preliminary inquiries, they don't expect to find
evidence of active, informed collusion between the Trump campaign and known
Russian intelligence operatives, though investigators have only just begun
reviewing raw intelligence. Among the Intelligence Committee's rank and
file, there's a tangible frustration over what one official called "wildly
inflated" expectations surrounding the panel's fledgling investigation. ..

The Democrats failed in their anti-Trump, anti-Russia campaign.

Read more <http://tinyurl.com/gw4phc5>

Oleg Smirnov
2017-03-13 19:37:07 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/zk4p4eq> consortiumnews.com

When 'Disinformation' Is Truth

Robert Parry | March 13, 2017

The anti-Russian McCarthyism that has spread out from the United States to
encompass the European Union, Canada and Australia has at its core an implicit
recognition that neoliberal economics and neoconservative foreign policy have
failed.

When I recently asked a European journalist why this anti-Russian hysteria had
taken root among mainstream European political parties, he answered with a
question: "Do you think they can run on their success in handling the
recession and the refugees?"

In other words, European voters are angry about the painful economic
conditions that followed the Wall Street crash of 2008 and the destabilizing
surge of immigrants fleeing from Western "regime change" wars in Iraq, Syria,
Libya and Afghanistan.

So, like the Democratic Party that doesn't want to engage in a soul-searching
self-examination about Donald Trump's victory, the European "establishment"
parties need a handy excuse to divert criticism - and that excuse is Russia, a
blame-shifting that has allowed nearly every recent criticism of an
establishment government official to be sloughed off as "Russian
disinformation."

It doesn't even matter anymore that the criticism may be based on solid fact.
Even truthful information is now deemed "Russian disinformation" or
Russian-inspired "fake news." ..
<http://tinyurl.com/zj7gkbc>
.. Let us take a few moments to meditate on the last eight years.
Oleg Smirnov
2017-04-23 14:55:01 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/lmx4vgy> consortiumnews.com

How US Race Laws Inspired Nazism

As much as Americans like to think of Germany's Nazism as a foreign evil,
Adolf Hitler and his henchmen drew inspiration and guidance from U.S. race
laws, as documented in a new book ..

David Swanson | April 22, 2017

James Q. Whitman's new book is called Hitler's American Model: The United
States and the Making of Nazi Race Law. It is understated and over-documented,
difficult to argue with. No doubt some will try.

In cartoonish U.S. historical understanding, the United States is, was, and
ever shall be a force for good, whereas Nazism arose in a distant, isolated
land that lacked any connection to other societies. In a cartoonish reversal
of that understanding, which would make a good straw man for critics of this
book, U.S. policies have been identical to Nazism, which simply copied them.
Obviously this is not the case.

In reality, as we have long known, the U.S. genocide of Native Americans was a
source of inspiration in Nazi discussions of expanding to their east, even
referring to Ukrainian Jews as "Indians." Camps for Native Americans helped
inspire camps for Jews. Anti-Semites and eugenicists and racists in the U.S.
helped inspire those in Germany, and vice versa.

U.S. bankers invested in the Nazis. U.S. weapons dealers armed them. Nazis
borrowed from U.S. propaganda techniques developed in World War I. Admirers in
the U.S. of Nazi Germany and fascist Italy attempted at least one coup against
President Franklin Roosevelt. The U.S. refused to admit significant numbers of
Jewish refugees or to help evacuate them from Germany. The State Department
turned down Anne Frank's visa. The coast guard chased a ship of Jews away,
sending them back to their fate. Et cetera. We have known all of this.

We have known how the U.S. treated African-Americans, Japanese-Americans and
others at the time of World War II, how it experimented on Guatemalans even
during the trials of Nazis for human experimentation, and continued to allow
human experimentation in the U.S. for many years. And so forth. The good
versus evil cartoon was never real.

What Whitman's book adds to the complex story is an understanding of U.S.
influences on the drafting of Nazi race laws. No, there were no U.S. laws in
the 1930s establishing mass murder by poison gas in concentration camps. But
neither were the Nazis looking for such laws. Nazis lawyers were looking for
models of functioning laws on race, laws that effectively defined race in some
way despite the obvious scientific difficulties, laws that restricted
immigration, citizenship rights, and inter-racial marriage. In the early
Twentieth Century, the recognized world leader in such things was the United
States. ..

Read more <http://tinyurl.com/lmx4vgy>

<http://tinyurl.com/lmy99xh>
Of course Trump can't drain the swamp. ..
Oleg Smirnov
2017-07-14 00:08:56 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/yafgxucc> consortiumnews.com

How Russia-gate Met the Magnitsky Myth

Robert Parry | July 13, 2017

Exclusive: A documentary debunking the Magnitsky myth, which was an opening
salvo in the New Cold War, was largely blocked from viewing in the West but
has now become a factor in Russia-gate ..

The Russian lawyer, Natalie Veselnitskaya, who met with Trump Jr. and other
advisers to Donald Trump Sr.'s campaign, represented a company that had run
afoul of a U.S. investigation into money-laundering allegedly connected to the
Magnitsky case and his death in a Russian prison in 2009. His death sparked a
campaign spearheaded by Browder, who used his wealth and clout to lobby the
U.S. Congress in 2012 to enact the Magnitsky Act to punish alleged human
rights abusers in Russia. The law became what might be called the first shot
in the New Cold War. ..

.. The dramatic tale became a cause celebre in the West. The story eventually
attracted the attention of Russian filmmaker Andrei Nekrasov, a known critic
of President Vladimir Putin. Nekrasov decided to produce a docu-drama that
would present Browder's narrative to a wider public. Nekrasov even said he
hoped that he might recruit Browder as the narrator of the tale.

However, the project took an unexpected turn <http://bit.ly/2ukaFfD> when
Nekrasov's research kept turning up contradictions to Browder's storyline,
which began to look more and more like a corporate cover story. Nekrasov
discovered that a woman working in Browder's company was the actual
whistleblower and that Magnitsky - rather than a crusading lawyer - was an
accountant who was implicated in the scheme.

So, the planned docudrama suddenly was transformed into a documentary with a
dramatic reversal as Nekrasov struggles with what he knows will be a dangerous
decision to confront Browder with what appear to be deceptions. In the film,
you see Browder go from a friendly collaborator into an angry adversary who
tries to bully Nekrasov into backing down.

Blocked Premiere

Ultimately, Nekrasov completes his extraordinary film - entitled "The
Magnitsky Act: Behind the Scenes" - and it was set for a premiere at the
European Parliament in Brussels in April 2016. However, at the last moment -
faced with Browder's legal threats - the parliamentarians pulled the plug.
Nekrasov encountered similar resistance in the United States, a situation
that, in part, brought Natalie Veselnitskaya into this controversy. ..

By all accounts, Veselnitskaya had little or nothing to offer about the DNC
and turned the conversation instead to the Magnitsky Act .. But another goal
of Veselnitskaya's U.S. trip was to participate in an effort to give Americans
a chance to see Nekrasov's blacklisted documentary. She traveled to Washington
in the days after her Trump Tower meeting and attended a House Foreign Affairs
Committee hearing, according to The Washington Post.

There were hopes to show the documentary to members of Congress but the offer
was rebuffed. Instead a room was rented at the Newseum near Capitol Hill.
Browder's lawyers. who had successfully intimidated the European Parliament,
also tried to strong arm the Newseum, but its officials responded that they
were only renting out a room and that they had allowed other controversial
presentations in the past. .. In an article about the controversy in June
2016, The New York Times added <http://tinyurl.com/zzho48a> that "A screening
at the Newseum is especially controversial because it could attract lawmakers
or their aides." Heaven forbid! ..

One-Time Showing

So, Nekrasov's documentary got a one-time showing with Veselnitskaya
reportedly in attendance and with a follow-up discussion moderated by
journalist Seymour Hersh. However, except for that audience, the public of the
United States and Europe has been essentially shielded from the documentary's
discoveries, all the better for the Magnitsky myth to retain its power as a
seminal propaganda moment of the New Cold War. ..

Read more <http://tinyurl.com/yafgxucc>

Bill Browder isn't quite a random stranger to Russia. He is a grandson of the
General Secretary of the Communist Party of USA <http://u.to/_kgIEA>. A part
of his ancestral family worked for the Stalin's secret service, which suggests
he must have certain personal connections to the post-Soviet Russia, which
likely helped him successfully develop his Russian business in the 1990s.

In the 2005, when his business structures were already under a criminal
investigation due to their violations of the Russian law, he suddenly started
to loudly eulogize Putin <http://archive.is/d3nk1>. Maybe he thought such a
tricky move would help revoke the investigation (I can guess it only). Then
it all eventually came to the present situation.
<http://tinyurl.com/yd6l5akk>
The Undeniable Pattern Of Russian Hacking
Oleg Smirnov
2017-07-28 21:08:46 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/ycj845d2> buzzfeed.com

Russia Would Very Much Like You To Visit Crimea, Please

"Seize the day."

Rose Troup Buchanan | July 25, 2017

Several (OS: It means 'two'.) Russian embassies are encouraging tourists to
visit Crimea.

Russia in USA | @RusEmbUSA
880 thousands of Ukrainian tourists visited Crimea in 2016
As they say, better once to see, than 100 times to hear ...
<http://www.visitcrimea.guide/en/>
05:42 PM - 23 Jul 2017 <http://durl.me/f48jpi>

The pitch in one tweet from the Russian embassy in Canada implored English-
speakers to "seize the day" and book a trip now.

Russia in Canada | @RussianEmbassyC
880,000 Ukrainians visited Crimea in 2016.
Seize the day, book a tour to see this beautiful peninsula for yourself
<http://www.visitcrimea.guide/en/>
03:12 PM - 24 Jul 2017 <http://durl.me/f48m7c>

That's slightly awkward because the Russian government took control of the
region from Ukraine in 2014 in a move that was condemned internationally.
(OS: The US and its vassals still does not mean 'internationally' as such.)

Pro-Russian Crimean leadership called for a referendum on Russian
reunification in March of that year - and 95% of the population voted in
favor. (OS: 97% of those who came to the voting stations - 83% of the total
number of voters - voted so, while a small pro-coup minority largely just
ignored the referendum. In the terms of 'population', it means no less than
80% of the population voted for the reunification. Later, independent polls
<http://clck.ru/BXFzK> confirmed this number well.)

But the referendum's result was condemned by the West and the crisis in
Ukraine only spiraled further out of control. (OS: 'Western' unwise refusal to
recognize the reality significantly contributed to the crisis, it's true. The
ongoing unwise stubbornness of 'the west' about recognizing its mistakes and
misdeeds also contributes to the further development of the crisis.)

After the Crimea referendum, Russia-backed rebels in the east began pushing to
separate from the federal government, launching a war that led to a crisis
that has cost thousands of lives. (OS: 'Rebels in the east' initially did not
do anything much different against what the Maidan rebels did before the coup,
- to 'western' applause btw. The war started when the illegitimate post-coup
'government' decided to suppress the protest movement in the east by a brute
military force.) The US and EU have squared up against Russian President
Vladimir Putin over Russian military support for the rebels, levying economic
sanctions against Russia in response. (OS: Russian support for the rebels is
humanitarian. As the post-coup Kiev and 'the west' decided to brazenly ignore
the legitimate interest of the east-Ukrainian people, Russia is the only power
they can rely on.) More than three years later, Russia still has total control
of Crimea. (OS: It's not 'still', it will be forever.)

Despite this, both the embassies in Canada and the US claim in their tweets
that around 880,000 Ukrainians visited Crimea last year. (OS: The Buzzfeed's
writer is silly while there's nothing strange that the Russia's embassies
advertize the fact that so many Ukrainians are currently visiting Crimea. It
simply means that Russia and the Crimeans welcome regular Ukrainian tourists
in the peninsula, as well as everybody else, and quite many Ukrainians are in
deed visiting Crimea for their summer vacation.)

Prior to the Russian occupation (OS: No, it's not an occupation.), Ukrainians
did form roughly 67% of Crimea's tourism industry. Now, not so much. (OS: It's
natural, since the Ukrainians in average have become about twice poorer after
the anti-democratic coup in their country, whereas Crimea has adjusted itself
to the Russian prices, which were noticeably higher against the Ukrainian ones
even before the anti-constitutioonal anti-democratic violent unlawful coup in
the Ukraine, unwisely backed by the US and EU.)

In the years after the invasion (OS: No, there was no invasion.), the number
of Ukrainians visiting has plummeted - although reliable data on exact figures
is hard to come by. Meanwhile, even the number of Russians visiting the Crimea
could go down as much as 15-25%, according to some tourism websites. (OS: The
latter is due to the fact that now Turkey is again available to the Russians.)

And internationally, most Western nations - including the US and major
European countries - warn their citizens against all but essential travel to
the region. (OS: Simply f*ck those who speak on behalf of 'Western nations'.)

Which is less than great in Moscow's eyes, because Crimea needs the money.
(OS: Everybody needs the money, but the fact that the Russia's embassies tell
about Crimea is not about money, of course. In the current situation, the
foreign - English-speaking and other - tourists can not cause a significant
impact on the Crimean budget anyway. However, they can see firsthand how the
people are living in Crimea, and what's going on there, and then they can tell
it to their friends etc etc - you've got the idea.)

The local economy was damaged by the occupation (OS: It's not an occupation,
again, and the local economy was not 'damaged' by anything except that it now
attracts less Ukrainian tourists than before, but much more Russian ones.),
and although Russia promised in 2016 to invest 680 billion roubles (roughly
$13 billion) into the region by 2020, many businesses who relied on tourism
are struggling. (OS: It's a desperate wishful thinking of the silly Buzzfeed's
writer.) The gaudy centerpiece of Russian funding is a bridge linking mainland
Russia with Crimea. It's not finished yet. (OS: It will be finished in time,
there's nothing to worry about.)

Finally, the tweets link to a tourism website (available in Russian, English,
and Chinese) that lists a whole load of activities you can try while you're
out there. There's also an extensive FAQ section ..

Read more <http://tinyurl.com/ycj845d2>

<http://tinyurl.com/y9vpolyg>
.. Russia Insulated From Further Sanctions by Import Substitution Success
Oleg Smirnov
2017-08-10 20:15:12 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/y74edy7h> moonofalabama.org

NYT - Russia Wants Innovation, But It's Arresting Its Fraudsters

August 10, 2017

.. The new way to vilify Russia must then proceed on a different route. "Yes,
Russia is capitalist, but it is capitalist in a bad way." Thus we get this NYT
headline and story: Russia Wants Innovation, but It's Arresting Its
Innovators:

AKADEMGORODOK, Russia - Dmitri Trubitsyn is a young physicist-entrepreneur
with a patriotic reputation, seen in this part of Siberia as an exemplar of
the talents, dedication and enterprise that President Vladimir V. Putin has
hailed as vital for Russia's future economic health.

Yet Mr. Trubitsyn faces up to eight years in jail after a recent raid on his
home and office here in Akademgorodok, a Soviet-era sanctuary of scientific
research that was supposed to showcase how Mr. Putin's Russia can harness
its abundance of talent to create a modern economy.

A court last Thursday extended Mr. Trubitsyn's house arrest until at least
October, which bars him from leaving his apartment or communicating with
anyone other than his immediate family.

Noticed how bad Putin is? How very authoritarian his government thugs are?
They even arrest an "entrepreneur with a patriotic reputation"!

But why is the man in front of a court?

Mr. Trubitsyn, 36, whose company, Tion, manufactures high-tech
air-purification systems for homes and hospitals, is accused of risking
the lives of hospital patients, and trying to lift profits, by upgrading
the purifiers so they would consume less electricity.
Most important, he is accused of doing this without state regulators
certifying the changes.

"Upgrading" something so "it consumes less electricity" is of course good. We
all know this.

Ten paragraphs follow to further convince us that the guy is really on the
good side and that Putin led Russia is bad, bad, bad.

Only then do we learn what Trubitsyn's company really did:

[Chief technical officer] Amelkin said the company was approached by the
regulatory agency and said that it had changed its design and removed a
supplementary filtering device that laboratory tests had shown was
redundant and wasted electricity. The company then amended its registration
documents and thought the matter was over, Mr. Amelkin said.

So here is what really happened. The company produces licensed medical filter
equipment. It eliminated one stage of the expensive filters and sold the
degraded equipment without telling anyone about the change.

Yes, the modified equipment does "consume less electricity". It does so
because it filters less than it is supposed to do. The degraded and cheaper
produced medical product was sold without a valid license. Finally some of the
companies competitors noticed this and informed the regulators about the
dangerous fraud. The "Innovator" CEO of the company was arrested for fraud and
will have to go to jail.

That all seems very normal to me and the way product regulation should work.
When some German car manufacturers cheated with diesel emission tests their
U.S. competitors complained and the regulator put some company officials to
jail. That was lauded, even in the NYT, as good regulation. But when Russia
does the very same it is defamed as stifling innovation.

Propaganda works. ..

Read more <http://tinyurl.com/y74edy7h>

All this is not a political thing. Some argue the Tion's modified equipment
basically didn't change the functionality, other argue the opposite. But why
the Atlanticist media (the NYT) meddle in these strictly technical things?

The Atlanticist shoddy-stinky leftist morons aren't welcome in Russia.
Post by Oleg Smirnov
<http://tinyurl.com/ycj845d2>
Russia Would Very Much Like You To Visit Crimea, Please
Oleg Smirnov
2017-08-05 00:18:50 UTC
<http://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/russiatosis/>

Russiatosis

James Howard Kunstler | August 4, 2017

Russia hysteria has become a full-blown national psychosis at a moment in
history when a separate array of troubles poses the real threat to America's
well-being. Most of these have to do with the country's swan dive into
bankruptcy, but meeting them honestly would force uncomfortable choices on the
grifters and caitiffs in congress. Meanwhile, the Treasury Dept is burning
through its dwindling cash reserves, and all government activities will face a
shutdown at the end of the summer unless congress votes to raise the debt
ceiling - which may be way harder than passing the stupid Russia sanctions
bill.

That bill, vaingloriously called The Countering America's Adversaries Through
Sanctions Act will only blow up in America's face. This country's actual trade
with Russia is negligible, but the bill aims to interrupt and punish Europe's
trade, centering on oil and natural gas, which they need desperately. ..

Germany is certain to not stand for it, and like it or not, they are the straw
that stirs the European drink. The sanctions pretend to seek to isolate
Russia, but the effect will only be to isolate the United States. Europe will
laugh at the measure as impinging on their sovereign prerogatives to trade as
they please. And Russia can turn around and sell all the natural gas it wants
to customers in Asia. Left undiscussed in the moronic American media is the
American gas industry's hidden role in pushing the sanctions so it can sell
liquefied gas overseas - which would only end up raising the price for
American gas customers to heat their homes.

The stupid bill pretends to be a lever for improving relations between the US
and Russia, but is actually designed to make relations much worse. In the
meantime, the US Deep State military and intelligence matrix is engineering
new crises and confrontations for absolutely no good reason. ..

Another interesting unanticipated consequence of the sanctions bill is that it
will only intensify Russia's effort, already well underway, to provide for
itself many of the products it currently imports. Import replacement, as the
process is called, is actually the same dynamic that led to the rise of the
USA as a great industrial power in the 19th century, so the bill only prompts
Russia to diversify and strengthen its economy.

So what exactly was Mr. Trump thinking when he signed the "deeply flawed" (his
words) Russian Sanctions bill coughed up like a hairball by congress? It's a
ridiculous piece of legislation from any angle. It limits the president's own
established prerogatives for negotiating with foreign nations (probably
unconstitutionally), and will only provoke economic warfare (at least) against
the US that can easily lead to shattering global trade relations entirely. ..

The "Russian meddling in our election" story hasn't produced any credible
evidence after a full year - and speaking to foreign diplomats is not a
crime - but the Russian meddling juggernaut rolls on perfectly well, and might
accomplish its ends, without it. Just repeating "Russian meddling" five
thousand times on CNN has surely induced many poorly-informed citizens to
believe that Russia changed the numbers in American voting machines though, in
fact, voting machines are not connected to the Internet.

All of this psychotic political behavior screams for the rise of a new party,
or more than one new party, composed of men and women who have not lost their
minds. I'm sure they're out there. Plenty of traces on the Internet attest to
the existence of a higher and better political consciousness in this country.
It just hasn't found a way to congeal. Yet.

Read more <http://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/russiatosis/>

<http://tinyurl.com/y73y9fcg>
The U.S. Empire Continues To Stumble Towards Ruin
Oleg Smirnov
2017-08-11 07:43:24 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/y92sbnmx> antiwar.com

What Are We To Believe?

Fake news plus phony "intelligence" equals disaster

Justin Raimondo | August 11, 2017

The Washington Post has published a story <http://u.to/VyITEA> claiming that
the North Korean regime of Kim Jong Un has succeeded in miniaturizing a
nuclear warhead small enough to fit onto an intercontinental ballistic
missile. It's another "leak" coming from an intelligence community that
seemingly does little these days but leak like a sieve. Which raises the
question: Should we believe them?

What we are dealing with is a national security bureaucracy that is not only
highly politicized - that's not really anything new - but is also engaged in
an extended campaign to accomplish specific political objectives. The leaks
coming out of Washington have had a clear political purpose - to a) discredit
President Donald Trump, and b) push us closer to some sort of conflict on the
international stage. ..

.. The conclusions drawn by this article aren't in the least bit broad, but
are instead quite specific. Are they true? We just don't know, and, what's
more, we cannot know. Indeed, we know almost nothing about this alleged
"assessment." We don't know the identity of the leakers. We don't know their
motives. ..

Which brings us to another problem, not only with this story but with all the
"news" we're getting from the mainstream media these days: reporters have
become as politicized as their sources in the intelligence community. ..

It could be true that the North Koreans have developed the capability of
miniaturizing nuclear warheads, but we just don't know. The observant reader
is left in a fog .. People complain that there's too much news, that the sheer
volume is overwhelming, and disorienting, but in reality we're living in a
news vacuum because we don't know what's true anymore. ..

Read it in full <http://tinyurl.com/y92sbnmx>

Here's once again the issue about anonymous or non-personalized 'sources' by
means of which the MSM is able to manipulate the public opinion with impunity,
and the Americans tolerate such a situation, moreover the manipulators inspire
them that the persistent references to such sources is sort of a law of nature
that simply must be taken for granted.
Oleg Smirnov
2017-08-13 16:55:14 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/ycoom9y3> unz.com

Google's New Search Protocol Is Restricting Access to 13 Leading Socialist,
Progressive and Anti-War Web Sites

ANDRE DAMON, DAVID NORTH | AUGUST 4, 2017

New data compiled by the World Socialist Web Site, with the assistance of
other Internet-based news outlets and search technology experts, proves that a
massive loss of readership observed by socialist, anti-war and progressive web
sites over the past three months has been caused by a cumulative 45 percent
decrease in traffic from Google searches.

The drop followed the implementation of changes in Google's search evaluation
protocols. In a statement issued on April 25, Ben Gomes, the company's vice
president for engineering, stated that Google's update of its search engine
would block access to "offensive" sites, while working to surface more
"authoritative content."

The World Socialist Web Site has obtained statistical data from SEMrush
estimating the decline of traffic generated by Google searches for 13 sites
with substantial readerships. The results are as follows:

a.. wsws.org fell by 67 percent
b.. alternet.org fell by 63 percent
c.. globalresearch.ca fell by 62 percent
d.. consortiumnews.com fell by 47 percent
e.. socialistworker.org fell by 47 percent
f.. mediamatters.org fell by 42 percent
g.. commondreams.org fell by 37 percent
h.. internationalviewpoint.org fell by 36 percent
i.. democracynow.org fell by 36 percent
j.. wikileaks.org fell by 30 percent
k.. truth-out.org fell by 25 percent
l.. counterpunch.org fell by 21 percent
m.. theintercept.com fell by 19 percent

Read more <http://tinyurl.com/ycoom9y3>

<http://tinyurl.com/ybs65dma>
Google Censors Block Access to CounterPunch and Other Progressive Sites
SeaSnake
2017-08-13 17:29:50 UTC
Fuck off Ivan, your commie shiteating is unwelcome here.
Oleg Smirnov
2017-08-17 12:26:29 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/ybm658vs> blackagendareport.com

The Story of Charlottesville was Written in Blood in the Ukraine

Ajamu Baraka | 2017-08-15

.. More than two years ago I wrote that:

"The brutal repression and dehumanization witnessed across Europe in the
1930s has not found generalized expression in the U.S. and Europe, at
least not yet. Nevertheless, large sectors of the U.S. and European left
appear to be unable to recognize that the U.S./NATO/EU axis that is
committed to maintaining the hegemony of Western capital is resulting in
dangerous collaborations with rightist forces both inside and outside of
governments."

The impetus of that article was to critique the inherent danger of the Obama
Administration's cynical manipulation of right-wing elements in Ukraine to
overthrow the democratically elected government of Viktor Yanukovych. Not only
was it dangerous and predictably disastrous for the Ukrainian people, but
because U.S. support for a neo-fascist movement in Ukraine took place within a
context in which the political right was gaining legitimacy and strength
across Europe. The political impact of the right gaining power in Ukraine
could not be isolated from the growing power of the right elsewhere. Which
meant that the Obama Admiration's selfish, short-term objective to undermine
Russia in Ukraine had the effect of empowering the right and shifting the
balance of forces toward the right throughout Europe.

But because Obama was incorrectly seen as a liberal, he was able to avoid most
criticism of his policies in Ukraine, in Europe and domestically. In fact,
liberals and the left both in the U.S. and in Europe generally supported his
Ukraine policies. ..

Fuck Obama, fuck the 'liberals'.

Sane left should separate, distance themselves from the shoddy stinky 'left'.
<https://on.rt.com/8kc5>
Far-right in US & Ukraine - same problem, different approach ..
Oleg Smirnov
2017-08-17 12:29:11 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/y9slty7g> moonofalabama.org

Charlottesville: What You Wish Upon Others, You Wish Upon Yourself

August 13, 2017

U.S. "liberals" cuddle fascists and right-wing religious extremists in Libya,
Syria, Ukraine, Venezuela and elsewhere.

But when similar movements appear on their own streets they are outraged. ..

Politicians and media hail such persons when they appear, often hired by the
CIA, to overthrow the government of some foreign country. They condemn the
same mindset and actions at home. ..

You can not have only one of these. ..

Read more <http://tinyurl.com/y9slty7g>

Fuck the 'liberals' once more.
Oleg Smirnov
2017-08-17 16:38:34 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/yd2wv2dz> theduran.com

Ukraine erects a new fascist statue and America remains silent

Adam Garrie | 2017-08-16

The American elites are not concerned with fascism and Donald Trump is
certainly not a fascist nor anything else but a new brand of American
politician. While non-fascist statures in the US are being vandalised, actual
fascist statues are being erected in Ukraine.

The Ukrainian regime authorities have unveiled a statue honouring the fighters
who are engaged in an aggressive war of ethnic cleansing against the people of
Donbass.

The monument located outside of central Kiev has already attracted attention
for its 'art' work being a rip-off of graphics from a popular video game known
as Diablo III.

But even more sinister than the apparent intellectual property theft, is the
fact that this just one of many monuments that have recently been erected in
Ukraine which celebrate the fascist ideology and murderous Nazi collaborators,
including the infamous Stepan Bandera whose followers massacred Russians,
Soviet Ukrainians, Poles and Jews.

The regime which openly honours dead Nazi collaborators and contemporary
fascists is one that came to power through the coup in 2014 that was supported
and engineered by state and non-state actors from the USA and EU. ..

While some on the US far-right promulgate the symbolism and ideology of
Hitler, even among this group, few understand what it actually means. For most
it is a matter of appropriating controversial symbolism in order to express a
rage which has not yet coalesced into a modern political programme. ..

By contrast, in Ukraine, the war currently being waged is for all intents and
purposes a proxy conflict fought by those who still fail to accept the
political, ethnic, linguistic and geo-political settlement of 9 May 1945. ..

If America is so desperate to fight fascism, America could withdraw its
support for the Ukrainian regime .. Of course, this will never happen because
America is neither concerned about neo-fascism nor about human rights,
especially when the rights of Russians are involved. ..

Post by Oleg Smirnov
<http://tinyurl.com/y9slty7g>
Charlottesville: What You Wish Upon Others, You Wish Upon Yourself
Oleg Smirnov
2017-08-18 07:15:21 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/y6w7xpkl> dailycaller.com

Flashback: That Time McCain Met And Praised Actual Neo-Nazis In Ukraine

Robert Donachie | 08/17/2017

.. The senator took a trip to Kiev, Ukraine, where he spoke to thousands of
protesters gathered in the city's main square to protest former Ukrainian
President Viktor Yanukovych's decision to cut trade relations with Europe and
instead engage with Russia.

His visit was reportedly to show U.S. support for the protesters, but his trip
to Ukraine was notable for another reason. McCain was repeatedly photographed
standing next to and meeting with Oleh Tyahnybok, the leader of the right-wing
nationalist Svoboda Party ..

The Svoboda Party has gained some traction and notoriety in Ukraine .. Svoboda
has a history of anti-Semitism. When it was founded in 1995, the party had a
logo eerily similar to the Nazi swastika. .. Tyahnybok has a history of making
anti-Semitic comments. He was expelled from parliament in 2014 after he
demanded the Ukranian people wage war against the "Muscovite-Jewish mafia," -
both words are insults aimed at the nation's Russian and Jewish citizens. In
2015, Tyahnybok wrote letters in which he demanded Ukraine fight against acts
"of Jewry."

Tyahnybok was at the forefront of the Ukranian protests, so McCain's choice to
meet with him isn't all that surprising. ..

The article is inaccurate in some details, but the basic narrative is correct.

Tyahnybok was at the forefront for a reason, and the reason was that those
Ukrainian protests were driven mainly by standard national-socialist passions
and slogans (and I told that before). There were violent 'protesters' - the
militant far right that clashed with the riot police while trying to enter the
government quarter - and there were peaceful protesters that were peacefully
chanting national-socialist slogans in another place. Today, the Nazis are not
largely presented in the parliament of the post-coup post-Ukraine, but they
don't really need it because they are represented by armed groups that can
exercise their powers over officials / politicians in a non-parliamentary way.

The leftist tantrum about the Charlottesville events looks ugly and obscene
against the fact that the very same leftie morons were in no way squeamish to
appreciate and greet those violent far right in the Ukraine.
Post by Oleg Smirnov
<http://tinyurl.com/yd2wv2dz>
Ukraine erects a new fascist statue and America remains silent
Oleg Smirnov
2017-09-17 18:32:44 UTC

Russian TV report about North Korea internals (eng sub).

<http://tinyurl.com/ya3kxfkb> france24.com

16/09/2017

Macron and Putin call for negotiations ..
On Friday, Russian presidents Vladimir Putin and French Emmanuel Macron
called for "direct negotiations" with Pyongyang, stressing the "need to
solve this extremely complicated situation exclusively by political and
diplomatic means." ..

<http://tinyurl.com/yczrprmc>
Shock Poll: Most Countries Prefer Putin Over Trump
Oleg Smirnov
2017-10-16 23:18:06 UTC
<https://orientalreview.org/2017/09/18/exchange-rating-russia/>

Exchange Rating Russia Down And Out

Patrick ARMSTRONG | 18/09/2017

"Why Russia - a country with less money than Canada and fewer people than
Nigeria - runs the world now" wondered <http://u.to/yhJOEA> the Canadian
newspaper National Post in January. The piece doesn't give useful answers:
nuclear weapons, good diplomacy, yes, but also the usual claptrap about
"ruthlessness" and "Abandon[ing] economic worries to double down on efforts to
grab geopolitical status"; in short only a brute lashing out in delirium
tremens. The editors should better have wondered whether the headline even
made sense: the first point is wrong and the second irrelevant. But, like so
much of what passes for analysis in the Western media, it's written backwards:
it's decision-based evidence making.

Talking about the relative insignificance of Russia's GDP is an old game: ..

There's something deeply misleading and, in fact, quite worthless about these
GDP comparisons. Whatever rubles are selling for at the moment, Russia has a
full-service space industry which has the only other operating global
satellite navigation system, the only taxi service to the ISS, much of which
it built, and, apparently, the only rocket motors good enough for US military
satellites. Neither Canada nor Germany, let alone Spain, does. It has an
across the board sophisticated military industry which may be the world leader
in electronic warfare, air defence systems, silent submarines and armoured
vehicles. Canada, Germany, Spain do not. It builds and maintains a fleet of
SSBNs - some of the most complicated machinery that exists. Ditto. It has a
developed nuclear power industry with a wide range of products. Ditto. Its
aviation industry makes everything from competitive fighter planes through
innovative helicopters to passenger aircraft. Ditto. It has a full automotive
industry ranging from some of the world's most powerful heavy trucks to
ordinary passenger cars. It has all the engineering and technical capacity
necessary to build complex bridges, dams, roads, railways, subway stations,
power stations, hospitals and everything else. It is a major and growing food
producer and is probably self-sufficient in food today. Its food export
capacity is growing and it has for several years been the leading grain
exporter. It has enormous energy reserves and is a leading exporter of oil and
gas. Its natural resources are immense. Its pharmaceutical industry is growing
rapidly. It is intellectually highly competitive in STEM disciplines - a world
leader in some cases. .. It's true that many projects involve Western
partners - the Sukhoy Superjet for example - but it's nonetheless the case
that the manufacturing and know-how are now in Russia.

Germany or Canada has some of these capabilities but few - very few -
countries have all of them. In fact, counting the EU as one, Russia is one of
only four. Therefore in Russia's case, GDP rankings are not only meaningless,
but laughably so. While Russians individually are not as wealthy as Canadians,
Germans or Spaniards today, the foundations of wealth are being laid and
deepened every day in Russia. ..

Russia has a full-service economy and it won't become any less so in the next
30 years.

And there's very few of them. And ... ..

Read more <https://orientalreview.org/2017/09/18/exchange-rating-russia/>

<https://apps.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/circulars/grain.pdf>
Grain: World Markets and Trade
Oleg Smirnov
2017-03-17 19:33:16 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/mk6z7lh> hotair.com

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen: Let's investigate the Kremlin's RT network

JOHN SEXTON | MARCH 14, 2017

Senator Jeanne Shaheen has introduced a bill which would give the Department
of Justice additional authority to investigate the funding of RT, the
Kremlin-controlled propaganda network. ..

<http://www.interfax.ru/russia/554161>

2017-03-17

Russian lawmakers have voted to adopt a protocol order to investigate whether
the activities of the Russian services of the Voice of America, RFE/RL, CNN
and some other American(-funded) outlets comply with the Russian law.

You see, who needs an iron curtain.

The American MSM brainwashes the domestic sheep to a much, much greater degree
than 'the Kremlin propaganda machine' brainwashes the Russian sheep, so that's
the American liberal establishment who seeks to build the curtain.
<http://tinyurl.com/hjdg9a3>
A Nazi Skeleton in the Family Closet
Oleg Smirnov
2017-07-31 03:35:09 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/ybokd2cd> bigthink.com

Why The Fall of the American Empire Will Come by 2030

PAUL RATNER | July 30, 2017

Living in such tense and mercurial times, it's easy to see that most Americans
do not have a strong confidence in their country's future, with about 60%
thinking it's headed in the wrong direction, according to the polling data
from RealClear Politics <http://u.to/OiMQEA>
.. All negative trends that are plaguing America now are likely to get much
worse, growing rapidly by 2020, and would "reach a critical mass no later than
2030." ..

.. The growing failures within the "intellectual infrastructure of the
country" as being responsible for America's downturn. .. The disturbing PISA
rankings that have American students coming in 41st in math and 25th in
science on the global scale. Students from countries like Singapore, Hong Kong
and, China are in the top 5 in all categories. .. This "erosion" of
educational standards in the U.S. leading to "very serious implications for
our military technology." The American military might will suffer greatly ..

<http://tinyurl.com/y9ugzvvo>
Survey in Germany. Majority rejects new US sanctions against Russia
Oleg Smirnov
2017-07-31 03:35:11 UTC
<http://tinyurl.com/y98d4phj> casopisargument.cz

Gloss and misery of Western sanctions

Veronika Susová-Salminen | 26.7.2017

.. The problem is that the West or the Atlantic community is in an existential
crisis, that is only deepening, and it's a crisis that is caused not only by
the demographic (EU) and economic (shrinking of the share in the world
economy, which is moving to Asia) realities but also by the decline in the
ideological plane (western patterns to follow, seductiveness of western
prosperity, belief in Western democracy). The world's focus diverges towards
Asia, resulting in certain consequences.

Indeed, the manifestation of this crisis is the very fact that Donald Trump
has become the President of the United States. His figure signals .. a
terrible decline of political and other elites in the US, .. The American
domestic oligarchies have to fight hysterically with the new reality of the
US' retreat ..

M.I.Wakefield
2017-08-05 01:17:41 UTC
"Oleg Smirnov" wrote in message news:olm8ap$qmi$***@os.motzarella.org...

Mueller is digging into Trump's financial history. I wonder how many condos
sold by Trump to numbered companies will be traced back to people hit by the
Magnitsky Act?