So that tar from Alberta is in high demand, is it?
Add Reply
b***@gmail.com
2018-08-09 03:13:23 UTC
These 'oil rich' countries and provinces in Canada don't want to admit that they're trying to peddle a low-quality resource and that the good stuff is long, long gone.

Here's what Venezuela is struggling with:
_________________________

Venezuela's deteriorating oil quality riles major refiners

CARACAS/HOUSTON (Reuters) - Venezuela’s state-run oil firm, PDVSA, is increasingly delivering poor quality crude oil to major refiners in the United States, India and China, causing repeated complaints, canceled orders and demands for discounts, according to internal PDVSA documents and interviews with a dozen oil executives, workers, traders and inspectors.

The disputes involve cargoes soiled with high levels of water, salt or metals that can cause problems for refineries, according to the sources and internal PDVSA trade documents seen by Reuters.

The quality issues stem from shortages of chemicals and equipment to properly treat and store the oil, resulting in shutdowns and slowdowns at PDVSA production facilities, along with hurried transporting to avoid late deliveries, the sources said.
___________________________

And here's what Alberta's 'oil' looks like:

Alberta's oil sands contain on average about 10% bitumen, 5% water and 85% solids. Most of the solids are coarse silica sand. Oil sands also contain fine solids and clays, typically in the range of 10-30% by weight.

Bitumen is a heavy complex hydrocarbon, contained within the oil sands deposit. Bitumen is almost solid at room temperature and has a tar-like consistency. As will all heavy oils in general, Alberta bitumen has a relatively higher concentration of nitrogen, sulphur and heavy metals.
______________

And here's what has to be added to the goop to force it through the pipelines:

BITUMEN UPGRADING

Bitumen produced from the oil sands is too heavy to be sent directly to a conventional refinery due to its high asphaltene and sulphur content. Depending on the extraction process used, bitumen can sometimes contains as much as 2% water and solids, which does not meet pipeline specifications for long distance transport. This product is therefore upgraded into a light synthetic crude, which is then sold on the open market.

Upgrading is a process by which bitumen is transformed into an lighter and sweeter crude by fractionation and chemical treatment. This improves the quality of the oil, reducing its viscosity and sulphur content. The SCO product is then sent to a downstream refinery for conversion into final product. About 40% of Alberta's bitumen is currently upgraded before being sold to market.
Cafe Racer
2018-08-09 17:17:49 UTC
Unadulterated communism: eerily unlike the USSR's sell-off of massive utilities to crooks, but in this case The State is buying from the Private Sector.

The feds will buy that tired 65-year old pipeline for $4.5 BILLION.

Then they will expand it, at an estimated cost of $15 BILLION.

All because poor Kinder-Morgan has met public opposition to their plans.

Hey, I was gonna build a refinery just behind my house, and local opposition may stop me; that's $13 million in lost-opportunity for me. Look, I'm a busy man, let's do a deal, how's about The State pays me $10 million to shut up and go away.

When the US govt ('capitalist' gov't, right?) subsidized the Chrysler Corporation, Arlo Guthrie recorded a humorous song, including the words:

I am changing my name to Chrysler
I am going down to Washington D.C.
I will tell some power broker
What they did for Iacocca
Will be perfectly acceptable to me
I am changing my name to Chrysler
I am headed for that great receiving line
So when they hand a million grand out
I'll be standing with my hand out
Yes sire I'll get mine!