The terrifying phenomenon that is pushing species towards extinction
Hillbilly Davis
2018-03-09 03:09:16 UTC
On Thu, 08 Mar 2018 13:34:53 -0700, gordo says...

> Scientists are alarmed by a rise in mass mortality events ? when
> species die in their thousands. Is it all down to climate change?

Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0aFPXr4n4

You got people like this around you? Country is full of them now!
People walking around all day long, every minute of the day - worried
about EVERYTHING! Worried about the air, worried about the water,
worried about the soil. Worried about insecticides, pesticides, food
additives, carcinogens; worried about radon gas; worried about asbestos.
Worried about saving endangered species.

Let me tell you about endangered species, all right? Saving endangered
species is just one more arrogant attempt by humans to control Nature!
It's arrogant meddling! It's what got us into trouble in the first
place! Doesn't anybody understand that? Interfering with Nature! Over 90
percent.. over... way over 90 percent of all the species that have ever
lived - EVER LIVED - on this planet are gone. Whissshht! They are
extinct!

We didn't kill them all.

They just... disappeared! That's what Nature does! They disappear these
days at the rate of 25 a day, and I mean regardless of our behavior.
Irrespective of how we act on this planet, 25 species that were here
today, will be gone tomorrow! Let them go... gracefully! Leave Nature
alone! Haven't we done enough?

We're so self-important. So self-important! Everybody's going to save
something now. "Save the trees; save the bees; save the whales; save
those snails." And the greatest arrogance of all, "Save the planet."
WHAT? Are these fucking people kidding me? Save the planet? We don't
even know how to take care of ourselves yet. We haven't learned how to
care for one another, we're gonna save the fucking planet?

I'm getting tired of that shit. Tired of that shit. Tired! I'm tired of
fucking Earth Day! I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists;
these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this
country is there aren't enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the
world safe for their Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don't give a
shit about the planet. They don't care about the planet. Not in the
abstract they don't. Not in the abstract they don't. You know what
they're interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They're
worried that some day in the future, they might be personally
inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn't impress me.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the
planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. Difference.
Difference! The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is
doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think
about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion
years. We've been here, what? A hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred
thousand? And we've only been engaged in heavy industry for a little
over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half
billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we're a threat?
That somehow we're gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little
blue-green ball that's just a floatin' around the sun?

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds
of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate
tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms,
the magnetic reversal of the poles; hundreds of thousands of years of
bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors; worldwide floods, tidal
waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages... And
we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a
difference? The planet... the planet... the planet isn't going anywhere.
WE ARE!

We're going away. Pack your shit, folks. We're going away. And we won't
leave much of a trace, either. Thank God for that. Maybe a little
Styrofoam. Maybe. A little Styrofoam. The planet will be here and we'll
be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end
biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet will shake us
off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance.

You wanna know how the planet is doing? Ask those people at Pompeii, who
are frozen into position from volcanic ash, "How the planet's doing?"
You wanna know if the planet's all right, ask those people in Mexico
City or Armenia or a hundred other places buried under thousands of tons
of earthquake rubble, if they feel like a threat to the planet this
week. Or how about those people in Kilowaia, Hawaii, who built their
homes right next to an active volcano, and then wonder why they have
lava in the living room.

The planet will be here for a long, long - LONG - time after we're gone,
and it will heal itself; it will cleanse itself, because that's what it
does. It's a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover;
the earth will be renewed; and, if it's true that plastic is not
degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new
paradigm: the Earth plus plastic! The Earth doesn't share our prejudice
towards plastic. Plastic came out of the Earth. The Earth probably sees
plastic as just another one of its children. Could be the only reason
the Earth allowed us to be spawned from it in the first place. It wanted
plastic for itself. Didn't know how to make it. Needed us. Could be the
answer to our age-old philosophical question, "Why are we here?"
"Plastic! Assholes."

So! So, the plastic is here, our job is done, we can be phased out now.
And I think that it has already started already, don't you? I think, to
be fair, the planet probably sees us as a mild threat. Something to be
dealt with. And I am sure the planet will defend itself in the manner of
a large organism, like a beehive or an ant colony, and muster a defense.
I am sure the planet will think of something. What would you do if you
were the planet trying to defend against this pesky, troublesome
species? "Let's see... What might... Hmm.. Viruses! Viruses might be
good. They seem vulnerable to viruses. And, uh... viruses are tricky,
always mutating and forming new strains whenever a vaccine is developed.
Perhaps, this first virus could be one that compromises the immune
system of these creatures. Perhaps a human immunodeficiency virus,
making them vulnerable to all sorts of other diseases and infections
that might come along. And maybe it could be spread sexually, making
them a little reluctant to engage in the act of reproduction."

Well, that's a poetic note. And it's a start. And I can dream, can't I?
See I don't worry about the little things: bees, trees, whales, snails.
I think we're part of a greater wisdom than we will ever understand. A
higher order. Call it what you want. Know what I call it? The Big
Electron." The Big Electron... whoooa. Whoooa. Whoooa. It doesn't punish;
it doesn't reward; it doesn't judge at all. It just is. And so are we.

For a little while.

--

Climate Hillbilly Davis

It's "weather" when the temperatures don't agree with what climate
screechers have to say, and then it's climate change, when it does.

"It's all about money in the end. Keeping the Gravy Train running."
https://youtu.be/J9Oi7x2OBdI?t=74
Byker
2018-03-09 17:07:26 UTC

It's more like 99.99%: https://tinyurl.com/y74rksyw