Sears Continues To Shaft Their Ex-Employees
2017-10-08 16:30:22 UTC
'A complete joke': Laid-off Sears workers say hardship fund cash
amounts to nothing after EI cut

'I'm disappointed, I'm angry, I'm frustrated over this whole
situation,' former employee says

Sophia Harris · CBC News · 7 hours ago

Former Sears worker Vera Pilipovic says she's not applying for the
employee hardship fund because she'll just have to give the money
right back with a cut to her employment insurance benefits. (Vera
Pilipovic)
724 comments
Laid-off Sears Canada workers say the hardship fund set up to help
them is pointless because any payout counts as income, so it's
deducted from their employment insurance benefits.
"You have to give it back. We are getting absolutely nothing," says
Vera Asselin, a former inventory analyst at the company's head office
in Toronto.
"It's a complete joke."
Asselin worked for Sears for 33 years and was laid off when the
cash-strapped retailer became insolvent in June. She received no
severance or termination pay and her benefits were immediately cut
off.
Sears Canada employee hardship fund missing $ 200K
'Sears is doomed': Why former execs doubt retailer can survive
That left Asselin in the lurch because she was the only one in her
family with employee benefits. To help make ends meet, she applied for
the hardship fund to cover the cost of expensive medications needed
for her family.
She was accepted, but then was dismayed to discover she must report
the money as income because she's collecting EI.
"Whatever's being given to me in the hardship fund is only going to be
deducted, so at the end of the day, it's a dollar for a dollar," she
says.
"I'm not any ahead. I'm disappointed, I'm angry, I'm frustrated over
this whole situation."
Hardship fund woes
Sears Canada has laid off more than 3,000 employees without severance
or extended benefits since the company received court protection from
its creditors.
Lawyers representing the employees fought for the hardship fund, which
Sears agreed to in August.

Sears executive chairman Brandon Stranzl had pledged to donate the
fund’s entire amount of $500,000, according to the law firm
representing employees. (CBC)
Eligible recipients typically get up to $1,200 a week for eight weeks.
Sears executive chairman Brandon Stranzl had pledged to donate the
fund's entire amount of $500,000, according to Ursel Phillips Fellows
Hopkinson, the law firm representing Sears employees.
So far, Stranzl has only contributed $300,000, and just 22 people have
applied for the fund.
Rosa D'Alessandro, a Toronto-based Sears sales manager who lost her
job in March, says people are scared to apply because they don't want
their EI clawed back.
"They've already lost their packages, their jobs, they've lost
everything."

Former Sears worker Rosa D’Alessandro says people are afraid to apply
for the hardship fund because it will reduce their EI benefits. (Rosa
D’Alessandro)
Vera Pilipovic, 58, says she can't afford the $4,000 worth of dental
work she needs to replace a cracked bridge. But the laid-off Sears
inventory analyst from Toronto decided that applying for the hardship
fund is a waste of time. So she has put off the dental work until she
finds another job.
"[It's] awful," she says. "Like seriously, not getting a single penny
after we were laid off, this is ridiculous."
Just call it a 'grant'
Employment and Social Development Canada, which oversees Service
Canada, told CBC News the hardship fund payments are considered the
same as severance pay. That means recipients must report it and it may
reduce their EI benefits.
Lawyer Susan Ursel, who represents the employees, says she's in
discussions with the federal government to hammer out a solution.
Service Canada simply needs to recognize the fund payments as "relief
grants," which don't have to be declared as income for EI recipients,
she says.
"It is almost unbelievable that in the current situation where this
money is available to relieve against hardships … that EI would be
clawing this money away from people."

Sears Canada recently announced it’s closing 11 more stores and laying
off about 1,200 more workers. (CBC)
Meanwhile, the number of laid-off employees in need of help may soon
balloon. This week, Sears Canada got court approval to close 11 more
stores, which means about 1,200 more workers will lose their jobs.
About 10,000 more employees will also be out of work if Stranzl's bid
to buy Sears Canada falls through and the retailer begins total
liquidation.
And unless the rules change, many laid-off workers will continue to
see the hardship fund as just another hardship for them as the
retailer struggles for survival.
"We're basically being stepped on left, right and centre," Asselin
says. "We are getting absolutely nothing."
========================================================================================================================
Of course the executives gave themselves bonuses. I continue to
boycott Sears.

---
http://www.avg.com
TomP
2017-10-09 15:01:18 UTC
========================================================================================================================
Of course the executives gave themselves bonuses. I continue to
boycott Sears.
---
http://www.avg.com
I thought you supported the Conservative Party of big business?
You sound like an NDPer.

https://www.ndp.ca/news/ndp-sears-must-pay-workers-instead-bonuses

NDP: Sears must pay workers instead of bonuses

OTTAWA – New Democrats are calling on Sears Canada to halt bonuses for
executives and instead pay the severance due to laid-off workers.
Consecutive Conservative and Liberal governments have failed to fix the
legislation that allows companies like Sears to pay top executives a
bonus instead of paying severance due to workers when facing bankruptcy.

--> “This is shameful and obscene. How does Sears justify paying
performance bonuses to top executives of a company that is filing for
bankruptcy?” asked Scott Duvall, NDP Pensions Critic. “That money should
be going to the thousands of workers who have just lost their jobs.” <--

Sears Canada will pay $7.6 million in bonuses to 43 executives while
2,900 employees are laid off without severance. Like other large
multinational corporations, Sears is permitted under Canada’s bankruptcy
laws, to pay big bonuses to their executives instead of being forced to
pay severance of the workers the company has laid-off.

--> “This government loves to talk about the middle class but time and
again they put corporations first and then ask Canadian workers to
settle for less. That’s unacceptable,” added Karine Trudel, NDP Deputy
Labour Critic. “Canadians can count on New Democrats to keep fighting so
that corporations can’t steal the severances their workers have
earned.”<--
George Plimpton
How very liberal of them.
Liberals are VERMIN!
2017-10-10 00:01:34 UTC
The liberals are on a tear to get as much money off the middle class as possible. Armies of tax analysts are scouring records for any instance of opportunity to grab-back money. Particularly odious is the upcoming increase in taxes to small business, which has been hit hard already by the decline of the retail sector.
Still think electing them was a good idea, sheep?
Dhu on Gate
2017-10-10 00:59:54 UTC
Post by Liberals are VERMIN!
The liberals are on a tear to get as much money off the middle class as
possible. Armies of tax analysts are scouring records for any instance
of opportunity to grab-back money. Particularly odious is the upcoming
increase in taxes to small business, which has been hit hard already by
the decline of the retail sector.
Still think electing them was a good idea, sheep?
If it's a choice between Canadian gangstas and Ferign ones...

TomP
2017-10-10 04:03:04 UTC
Post by Liberals are VERMIN!
The liberals are on a tear to get as much money off the middle class as possible. Armies of tax analysts are scouring records for any instance of opportunity to grab-back money. Particularly odious is the upcoming increase in taxes to small business, which has been hit hard already by the decline of the retail sector.
Still think electing them was a good idea, sheep?
The tax was explained on the news.
It is closing a loophole. It will affect people making more than $90,000
per year or the top 5%.
Liberals are VERMIN!
2017-10-10 06:49:10 UTC
Post by TomP
Post by Liberals are VERMIN!
The liberals are on a tear to get as much money off the middle class as possible. Armies of tax analysts are scouring records for any instance of opportunity to grab-back money. Particularly odious is the upcoming increase in taxes to small business, which has been hit hard already by the decline of the retail sector.
Still think electing them was a good idea, sheep?
The tax was explained on the news.
It is closing a loophole. It will affect people making more than $90,000
per year or the top 5%.
$90k a year is not much money if you own a business, in fact, it's very, very small, given costs.

http://nationalpost.com/news/andrew-coyne-why-the-liberals-proposed-tax-changes-are-taking-a-pounding
TomP
2017-10-10 13:04:16 UTC
Post by Liberals are VERMIN!
Post by TomP
Post by Liberals are VERMIN!
The liberals are on a tear to get as much money off the middle class as possible. Armies of tax analysts are scouring records for any instance of opportunity to grab-back money. Particularly odious is the upcoming increase in taxes to small business, which has been hit hard already by the decline of the retail sector.
Still think electing them was a good idea, sheep?
The tax was explained on the news.
It is closing a loophole. It will affect people making more than $90,000
per year or the top 5%.
$90k a year is not much money if you own a business, in fact, it's very, very small, given costs.
http://nationalpost.com/news/andrew-coyne-why-the-liberals-proposed-tax-changes-are-taking-a-pounding
The average income is somewhere between $33k - $35k per year. If those
making $90k per year are using loopholes to avoid paying tax, the tax
shortfall will have to be made up by everyone else.