Greed is not OK': Backlash grows against Tim Hortons worker benefit cuts
2018-01-10 17:32:37 UTC
'Greed is not OK': Backlash grows against Tim Hortons worker benefit
cuts
Critics claim Tim Hortons needs to take a stand on the issue or risk
losing customers

Sophia Harris · CBC News · 5 hours ago

More than a dozen protests are planned today at Tim Hortons locations
in Ontario. (Evan Mitsui/CBC)
The backlash against both Tim Hortons and individual franchise owners
continues to rage after some owners cut employee benefits to offset
Ontario's minimum wage hike.
The restaurant chain's Facebook page has been flooded with hundreds of
angry comments from customers, and protests are planned today at
several Tim Hortons outlets in Ontario to demand employees get their
benefits back.
"It's definitely hurting Tim Hortons' image," said retail expert Bruce
Winder about the growing backlash. "This could really multiply into
something significant."
He believes if the coffee shop giant doesn't take action soon to
address the issue, it risks losing loyal customers.
"They need to get in front of this. Whenever there's a crisis, you
can't put your head in the sand."
Workers at nearly a dozen Tim Hortons outlets across Ontario —
including in Cobourg and Whitby — have told CBC News that store owners
are cutting employee perks like paid breaks and benefits in response
to January's minimum wage increase to $14 an hour.
The news has upset many customers who have taken to Facebook to
express their outrage.

A social media movement is encouraging people to boycott Tim Hortons
on Tuesdays. (Facebook)
Some are demanding a boycott of the chain with grassroots campaigns
such as "No Timmys Tuesday," where customers are encouraged to buy
their coffee elsewhere that day.
"With this crappy attitude to your minimum pay workers, I'll be
boycotting Tim Hortons until this situation is clearly rectified,"
posted one customer.
Tims protests begin
Meanwhile, labour activists have organized protests today at more than
a dozen Tim Hortons across Toronto and other southern Ontario
communities, including Cobourg, Hamilton, Windsor, Guelph, London and
Peterborough.
A protest at a Whitby location is planned for Saturday.
"It does make me angry," said labour activist and Tim Hortons customer
Derek Blackadder, who plans to attend the Cobourg event and has been
spreading news about the protests online.

"These are people who are just hanging on income-wise," he said of the
affected workers. "The expression 'kicking them when they're down'
comes to mind."
The Durham Region Labour Council is helping organize both the Cobourg
and Whitby protest. Member Tiffany Balducci said the aim is to support
Tim Hortons employees by demanding they get back whatever benefits
they've lost.
"We want to send a clear message to Tim Hortons to treat their workers
with respect," she said.

"Greed is not OK. Don't take something away from your workers who are
making the lowest wage legally possible."
Both Tim Hortons and The Great White North Franchisee Association
(GWNFA), which represents a number of Canadian Tim Hortons franchise
owners, declined to comment on the issue.
However, last week, GWNFA defended employee benefit rollbacks, stating
with the minimum wage hike, franchise owners face increased labour
costs because head office won't let them raise prices.
Tim Hortons heirs cut paid breaks and worker benefits after minimum
wage hike, employees say
Multiple Tim Hortons franchises, other Ontario businesses cut pay,
benefits
Tim Hortons' owner, multinational Restaurant Brands International
(RBI) shot back by blaming the recent uproar on a "rogue group" of
franchise owners who "do not reflect the values of our brand."
Time to take a stand?
Many critics are not satisfied with RBI's response and are demanding
that the company take charge.
"I know the parent company is saying 'Oh, it's these rogue franchise
owners,'" says Balducci. "But I think the parent company should hold
the franchise owners responsible, definitely, and set guidelines."
That sentiment is echoed by some customers on Facebook. "Dear Tim
Hortons, I'm more than happy to pay an extra ten cents for my coffee
for your employees to get a better wage," posted one person.
Tim Hortons lashes out at 'rogue' franchisees as employees lose even
more perks
Regardless of who's to blame for the Tim Hortons backlash, retail
expert Winder says RBI needs to show customers it's taking action on
the matter — or else continue to face what's growing into a public
relations nightmare.
"People are emotionally attached to Tims, and when they see that Tims
is treating workers badly or not treating them fairly, people get up
in arms," said Winder, a co-founder of the Retail Advisors Network, a
consultancy firm in Toronto.
"They need to get out in front of Canadians, with whatever strategy
they have, and say they're sorry and say here's what we're going to
do."
However, Winder admits that RBI is in a tough spot. That's because if
it raises prices, that move could also anger customers who don't want
to pay more for Tim Hortons products.
"Sadly, Tim Hortons has kind of painted themselves into a corner now
where, if they raise prices, they look bad, [and] if they don't raise
prices and this continues, they look bad.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-hortons-minimum-wage-worker-benefits-1.4480097

---
http://www.avg.com
M.I.Wakefield
2018-01-10 19:00:27 UTC
'Greed is not OK': Backlash grows against Tim Hortons worker benefit cuts
They should obviously follow the recommendations of Ontario's Labour
Minister, and just raise their prices.
Greg Carr
2018-01-10 20:35:25 UTC
Or take less profit or a combination of the two.
TomP
2018-01-11 15:18:40 UTC
Or take less profit or a combination of the two.
There was a news report that pointed out that Alberta had raised their
minimum wage but there was not the outrage as there is in Ontario. The
report suggested that this was because wages tend to be higher in
Alberta because employers can not attract workers with the minimum wage
because it is so expensive to live there.
The report also stated that 20% of the jobs in Ontario pay the minimum
wage so a lot more people are affected.
That is a disgusting statistic and it just demonstrates just how far
this country has fallen. Ontario used to lead the country in
manufacturing and was Canada's richest province. Even Alberta which is
Canada's richest province is in a deficit situation.
M.I.Wakefield
2018-01-11 16:44:43 UTC
Post by TomP
Post by Greg Carr
Or take less profit or a combination of the two.
There was a news report that pointed out that Alberta had raised their
minimum wage but there was not the outrage as there is in Ontario. The
report suggested that this was because wages tend to be higher in Alberta
because employers can not attract workers with the minimum wage because it
is so expensive to live there.
Alberta held consultations, Ontario didn't.

Alberta increased their minimum wage by 47% over 48 months, Ontario will
have increased their minimum wage by 31.6% in 15 months, including by 20.7%
on January 1st.

That increase is too much, too fast, for businesses to handle smoothly ...
especially when you consider things like that fact that the average profit
margin in a restaurant in Ontario is 3.4%. That means if you and your
spouse go out to dinner, and spend $50, before taxes and tip, the restaurant
owner clears $1.70.
Post by TomP
The report also stated that 20% of the jobs in Ontario pay the minimum
wage so a lot more people are affected.
Low skill, service, economy.
Post by TomP
That is a disgusting statistic and it just demonstrates just how far this
country has fallen. Ontario used to lead the country in manufacturing and
was Canada's richest province.
Yeah, you know who did that? The same dumb fucks that just jacked up the
minimum wage by over 20%. Ontario used to draw in industries because we had
among the lowest electricity rates in North America. Now, we have the most
expensive electricity in North America, excluding off-the-grid places that
have to burn myrrh and ermine pelts to fuel their generators, and factories
get built in other places.

November 19, 2007

Ontario Electricity Demand: 434,000 MWh
Cost to ratepayers: $28.4 million
Exports: 24,600 MWh
Export Revenue: $1.6 million
Kilowatt hour rate: 6.02 cents kWh

November 19, 2015

Ontario Electricity Demand: 351,000 MWh
Cost to ratepayers: $47.5 million
Exports: 75,000 MWh
Export Revenue: -$0.2 million
Kilowatt hour rate: 10.7 cents kWh

That's a 77.7% increase in the kWh charge in 7 years. Inflation over the
same period was 13.2%.

And notice the negative export revenue in 2015? We're literally paying
other utilities to take our high-priced electricity off our hands.
Post by TomP
Even Alberta which is Canada's richest province is in a deficit situation.
That's mostly on the oil price crash. Ontario's deficit is all on Kathleen
Wynne's incompetence.

Of course, Kathleen Wynne says we don't have a deficit, but the Auditor
General and the Financial Accountability Officer say she's lying her fucking
ass off.
TomP
2018-01-12 02:29:24 UTC
Post by TomP
That is a disgusting statistic and it just demonstrates just how far
this country has fallen. Ontario used to lead the country in
manufacturing and was Canada's richest province.
Yeah, you know who did that?  The same dumb fucks that just jacked up
the minimum wage by over 20%.  Ontario used to draw in industries
because we had among the lowest electricity rates in North America.
Now, we have the most expensive electricity in North America, excluding
off-the-grid places that have to burn myrrh and ermine pelts to fuel
their generators, and factories get built in other places.
The slide in the Canadian economy started long before that. The first
year of the FTA saw over 600 companies closed since Canadian branch
offices were no longer required and companies consolidated their
operations in the US. The company I worked for at the time sent out a
memo stating that fact as they shut down the Canadian operations and
moved everything to the US and laid off 120 people. My neighbour was
given the task of overseeing the shut down of her employer and moved
everything to the US. That was the start of the slide to the point today
where a job that pays more than minimum wage is a good paying job.
As I look back at life in Canada in the 70's I have noticed a huge
change in the Canadian economy and the dropping of the Canadian standard
of living. There is no reason why the minimum wage should not be $15 per
hour.
M.I.Wakefield
2018-01-12 03:17:57 UTC
Post by TomP
Post by M.I.Wakefield
Yeah, you know who did that? The same dumb fucks that just jacked up
the minimum wage by over 20%. Ontario used to draw in industries
because we had among the lowest electricity rates in North America.
Now, we have the most expensive electricity in North America, excluding
off-the-grid places that have to burn myrrh and ermine pelts to fuel
their generators, and factories get built in other places.
The slide in the Canadian economy started long before that.
And Kathleen Wynne didn't help. Various sources blamed high electricity
rates as being a reason a new Volvo plant ended up in South Carolina, and
not in Windsor.
Post by TomP
There is no reason why the minimum wage should not be $15 per hour.
OTOH, jacking it up by 20% in one shot was a bad idea.