Discussion:
The Humboldt Bus Crash - Why The Secrecy?
(too old to reply)
TomP
2018-07-06 18:34:51 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
The RCMP have laid charges in the Humboldt bus crash, but are
withholding the name of the person charged.
Earlier a witness had come forward but could not give details of the
crash because of the investigation.
Why all the secrecy?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/charges-laid-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4736826

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUZmZT-ihdo
M.I.Wakefield
2018-07-06 18:55:10 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
"TomP" wrote in message news:phocom$2kak$***@adenine.netfront.net...

> The RCMP have laid charges in the Humboldt bus crash, but are withholding
> the name of the person charged.
> Earlier a witness had come forward but could not give details of the crash
> because of the investigation.
> Why all the secrecy?
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/charges-laid-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4736826
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUZmZT-ihdo

There'll be a news conference in a few minutes, so you questions could be
answered soon.
b***@gmail.com
2018-07-06 19:24:11 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 11:35:04 AM UTC-7, TomP wrote:
> The RCMP have laid charges in the Humboldt bus crash, but are
> withholding the name of the person charged.
> Earlier a witness had come forward but could not give details of the
> crash because of the investigation.
> Why all the secrecy?
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/charges-laid-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4736826
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUZmZT-ihdo


To give him time to contact a lawyer. Or a whole team of lawyers.
Dave Smith
2018-07-06 22:09:38 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 2018-07-06 2:34 PM, TomP wrote:
> The RCMP have laid charges in the Humboldt bus crash, but are
> withholding the name of the person charged.
> Earlier a witness had come forward but could not give details of the
> crash because of the investigation.
> Why all the secrecy?
>


I just saw the TV coverage and they named the guy.
Byker
2018-07-06 22:16:34 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
"TomP" wrote in message news:phocom$2kak$***@adenine.netfront.net...
>
> Why all the secrecy?

Political correctness: "Truck driver Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29, is facing 16
counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death and 13 counts
of dangerous operation of motor vehicle causing bodily injury."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/charges-laid-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4736826
Dave Smith
2018-07-06 23:36:26 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 2018-07-06 2:34 PM, TomP wrote:
> The RCMP have laid charges in the Humboldt bus crash, but are
> withholding the name of the person charged.
> Earlier a witness had come forward but could not give details of the
> crash because of the investigation.
> Why all the secrecy?
>
> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/charges-laid-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4736826
>
>


I think this might be a case like the two recent cases where car thieves
who happened to be native were shot and killed by homeowners and there
was pressure to with a much more serious crime than there is evidence to
support. The guy may have been speeding. He may have been inattentive.
He may have been tired. He might have thought that he was approaching a
4 way stop and expected the bus to stop. He could probably have been
convicted of careless driving, but I will be surprised if they get a
conviction on the criminal code charge of dangerous driving. Even if
they do, the maximum penalty is 14 years. If he has a clean or
reasonably clean record he won't get anywhere near that. While there
were more than two dozen fatalities and injuries, it was basically a
single incident, so if he gets convicted he will serve the sentences
concurrently. If he is an immigrant, there is a chance that he could
face deportation.
b***@gmail.com
2018-07-07 00:57:30 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 4:36:14 PM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-07-06 2:34 PM, TomP wrote:
> > The RCMP have laid charges in the Humboldt bus crash, but are
> > withholding the name of the person charged.
> > Earlier a witness had come forward but could not give details of the
> > crash because of the investigation.
> > Why all the secrecy?
> >
> > http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/charges-laid-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4736826
> >
> >
>
>
> I think this might be a case like the two recent cases where car thieves
> who happened to be native were shot and killed by homeowners and there
> was pressure to with a much more serious crime than there is evidence to
> support. The guy may have been speeding. He may have been inattentive.
> He may have been tired. He might have thought that he was approaching a
> 4 way stop and expected the bus to stop. He could probably have been
> convicted of careless driving, but I will be surprised if they get a
> conviction on the criminal code charge of dangerous driving. Even if
> they do, the maximum penalty is 14 years. If he has a clean or
> reasonably clean record he won't get anywhere near that. While there
> were more than two dozen fatalities and injuries, it was basically a
> single incident, so if he gets convicted he will serve the sentences
> concurrently. If he is an immigrant, there is a chance that he could
> face deportation.

If he is a permanent resident, no matter if he immigrated to Canada, the only way he would face deportation is if the sentence is 10+ years - or if he was impaired at the time. Not likely he was impaired at the time, because it wouldn't have taken police this long to make the arrest if he had been.
TomP
2018-07-07 03:56:08 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 06/07/2018 7:57 PM, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 4:36:14 PM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-07-06 2:34 PM, TomP wrote:
>>> The RCMP have laid charges in the Humboldt bus crash, but are
>>> withholding the name of the person charged.
>>> Earlier a witness had come forward but could not give details of the
>>> crash because of the investigation.
>>> Why all the secrecy?
>>>
>>> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/charges-laid-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4736826
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> I think this might be a case like the two recent cases where car thieves
>> who happened to be native were shot and killed by homeowners and there
>> was pressure to with a much more serious crime than there is evidence to
>> support. The guy may have been speeding. He may have been inattentive.
>> He may have been tired. He might have thought that he was approaching a
>> 4 way stop and expected the bus to stop. He could probably have been
>> convicted of careless driving, but I will be surprised if they get a
>> conviction on the criminal code charge of dangerous driving. Even if
>> they do, the maximum penalty is 14 years. If he has a clean or
>> reasonably clean record he won't get anywhere near that. While there
>> were more than two dozen fatalities and injuries, it was basically a
>> single incident, so if he gets convicted he will serve the sentences
>> concurrently. If he is an immigrant, there is a chance that he could
>> face deportation.
>
> If he is a permanent resident, no matter if he immigrated to Canada, the only way he would face deportation is if the sentence is 10+ years - or if he was impaired at the time. Not likely he was impaired at the time, because it wouldn't have taken police this long to make the arrest if he had been.
>

Normally after an accident like this, they will announce right at the
start if they feel alcohol was a factor.
I don't know what there was to investigate. He ran a stop sign and there
were witnesses. I don't understand why it took so long to lay charges.
Eric®
2018-07-07 21:33:06 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
TomP wrote:
>
>
> Normally after an accident like this, they will announce right at the
> start if they feel alcohol was a factor.
> I don't know what there was to investigate. He ran a stop sign and there
> were witnesses. I don't understand why it took so long to lay charges.

It took about five months before charges were laid in this even more blatant
case:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/langford-man-charged-in-rcmp-constable-
s-death-1.2343751

or: https://is.gd/OVSrGF
Loading...