Doug Ford already hurting Ontario's bottom line . . .
b***@gmail.com
2018-07-05 20:26:49 UTC
He was barely sworn in and he started undoing legislation that was meant to help average Ontarians:

- The legislation that Kathleen Wynne's Liberals brought in to stop scalpers from profiting from resale of concert tickets has been canceled by Doug Ford.

One of two reasons for this: he doesn't have a clue how to enforce the legislation - or someone who contributed to his campaign is in the scalping business and is now calling in the debt.
________________________________
CBC - Jul 04, 2018

New Ontario government puts brakes on anti-scalping law

No end in sight for sky-high markups, analysis of summer concerts shows

Ontario has quietly shelved a key part of a controversial anti-scalping law that would have capped prices ticket scalpers can charge to fans of live music and sports, a joint CBC News/Toronto Star investigation has learned.

Premier Doug Ford's office confirmed late Tuesday his government is suspending a portion of the law, introduced by the Liberals, that would have outlawed resale of tickets at markups of more than 50 per cent above face value, which was set to take effect July 1.
_____________________________________

And then there's this:

Doug Ford is officially ending Ontario's cap-and-trade plan, but what's next?

The PC Party won a majority government after campaigning on axing cap-and-trade, which forced large companies to buy allowances for their carbon emissions. Ford says in a new release that eliminating it will be the first step in lowering gas prices by 10 cents a litre and curbing other household costs.

It remains unclear how much exiting the cap-and-trade program will cost Ontario, which is part of a larger program with Quebec and California, and what will happen with the nearly $3 billion in credits that companies have already purchased.

Ford's statement says the government will decide on a case-by-case basis whether some initiatives previously funded by the program will be paid for using tax base revenue. <<=== [that would be ONTARIANs' taxes]
_______________

OTTAWA — The federal government is interpreting Ontario's cancellation of its cap-and-trade program as equivalent to withdrawing from Ottawa's national climate change framework — and is reconsidering more than $400 million in funding as a result.

A spokeswoman for Environment Minister Catherine McKenna says the $420 million earmarked for Ontario under the Low Carbon Economy Leadership Fund is under review, since funding is contingent on agreeing to the framework, which includes imposing a carbon price.

Ottawa had already approved funding for seven Ontario programs under the fund, but all of that money is now on hold. One particular program cancelled by Ford, the Green Ontario Fund, means the province has, forfeited $100 million in federal money.
_______________________

Two times into the pockets of Ontarians in less than a few days. Wow, the voters really picked a winner, didn't they?
M.I.Wakefield
2018-07-05 21:34:05 UTC
Karen Gordon wrote in message

> Doug Ford is officially ending Ontario's cap-and-trade plan, but what's
> next?

What's next? Gas prices and home heating costs will come down; that's
what's next.

Oh, and we'll stop sending money to California.
b***@gmail.com
2018-07-05 22:28:29 UTC
On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 2:34:08 PM UTC-7, M.I.Wakefield wrote:
> Karen Gordon wrote in message
>
> > Doug Ford is officially ending Ontario's cap-and-trade plan, but what's
> > next?
>
> What's next? Gas prices and home heating costs will come down; that's
> what's next.
>
> Oh, and we'll stop sending money to California.

You may save 10 cents a litre on gas. And that's a big 'may'.
You may save a little home heating - but only if you're using gas for heating.

But you just forfeited $420 million ($73.55 by each working Ontarian) from the federal low-carbon fund.

And there's no guarantee that you'll be escaping the carbon tax anyway - since Trudeau has promised to impose it on an province that does not introduce its own carbon taxes. You won't have enough to pay your electricity bills, nevermind send anything to California.

Doug Ford is now in charge. You may as well start looking for loose coins under the sofa cushions. You're going to need to tighten up - fast.
M.I.Wakefield
2018-07-05 22:58:52 UTC

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 2:34:08 PM UTC-7, M.I.Wakefield wrote:

> > What's next? Gas prices and home heating costs will come down; that's
> > what's next.
> >
> > Oh, and we'll stop sending money to California.

> You may save 10 cents a litre on gas. And that's a big 'may'.

A 10 cent tax reduction is a 10 cent tax reduction.

> You may save a little home heating - but only if you're using gas for
> heating.

Over half of Ontarians use natural gas.

> But you just forfeited $420 million ($73.55 by each working Ontarian) from
> the federal low-carbon fund.

If Ontario is forfeiting matching funds on money it's not going to spend
anymore, it's lost nothing.

> And there's no guarantee that you'll be escaping the carbon tax anyway -
> since Trudeau has promised to impose it on an province that does not
> introduce its own carbon taxes. You won't have enough to pay your
> electricity bills, nevermind send anything to California.

That would go over well ... especially considering that there's an election
in 15 months, and there are about 80 Liberal seats in Ontario, and we've
shown that we're more than willing to send Liberals into unemployment.
b***@gmail.com
2018-07-06 00:44:33 UTC

And replace them with who? Does Doug Ford have another corrupt and incompetent brother? (´〜`*)
Liberals are VERMIN!
2018-07-06 02:52:53 UTC

It's a free market. If someone wants to resell tickets for a profit, let them. Who cares?
Greg Carr
2018-07-06 07:52:44 UTC

As someone who goes to a lot of shows I do.
Dave Smith
2018-07-06 13:39:52 UTC
On 2018-07-06 3:52 AM, Greg Carr wrote:

>>> Two times into the pockets of Ontarians in less than a few days.
>>> Wow, the voters really picked a winner, didn't they?
>>
>> It's a free market. If someone wants to resell tickets for a
>> profit, let them. Who cares?
>
> As someone who goes to a lot of shows I do.

The reason it was canned was that it was unenforceable.

Personally, I think it is up to the venues and the artists to ensure
that their fans are getting fair treatment, and there have been cases of
bands have refused to honour scalped tickets.

I am so fed up with resellers that I won't bother playing their game.
I wish that everyone would boycott them. The best thing that could
happen would be for everyone to refuse to buy from them and let them get
stuck with a fortune in unsold tickets.

A while back my son was going to take me to a Mark Knopfler concert. The
tickets were to go on sale at noon on a particular date. He suggested
that I try too. I set up an account and sat there waiting for noon to
order my tickets. Poof. The tickets were gone. Now they were available
on Stubhub for more than double the price.
M.I.Wakefield
2018-07-06 13:57:30 UTC
"Dave Smith" wrote in message news:viK%C.511430$***@fx36.iad...

> The reason it was canned was that it was unenforceable.

I would like to see StubHub have to turn over all their records to Revenue
Canada, to make sure that everyone who resold tickets declared the income.

> Personally, I think it is up to the venues and the artists to ensure that
> their fans are getting fair treatment, and there have been cases of bands
> have refused to honour scalped tickets.
>
> I am so fed up with resellers that I won't bother playing their game. I
> wish that everyone would boycott them. The best thing that could happen
> would be for everyone to refuse to buy from them and let them get stuck
> with a fortune in unsold tickets.
>
> A while back my son was going to take me to a Mark Knopfler concert. The
> tickets were to go on sale at noon on a particular date. He suggested that
> I try too. I set up an account and sat there waiting for noon to order my
> tickets. Poof. The tickets were gone. Now they were available on Stubhub
> for more than double the price.

A depressingly small number of tickets can actually go on sale to the
public, especially in venues that have seat licences, and tours that have
pre-sales.
Dave Smith
2018-07-06 15:56:47 UTC
On 2018-07-06 9:57 AM, M.I.Wakefield wrote:
> "Dave Smith"  wrote in message news:viK%C.511430$***@fx36.iad...

>> A while back my son was going to take me to a Mark Knopfler concert.
>> The tickets were to go on sale at noon on a particular date. He
>> suggested that I try too. I set up an account and sat there waiting
>> for noon to order my tickets. Poof. The tickets were gone.  Now they
>> were available on Stubhub for more than double the price.
>
> A depressingly small number of tickets can actually go on sale to the
> public, especially in venues that have seat licences, and tours that
> have pre-sales.

There is nothing I would like to see more than for aspiring concert
goers to boycott the resellers and stick them with thousands of unsold
tickets.
b***@gmail.com
2018-07-06 21:35:01 UTC
On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 6:39:40 AM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
> The reason it was canned was that it was unenforceable.

> Personally, I think it is up to the venues and the artists to ensure
> that their fans are getting fair treatment, and there have been cases of
> bands have refused to honour scalped tickets.
>
> I am so fed up with resellers that I won't bother playing their game.
> I wish that everyone would boycott them. The best thing that could
> happen would be for everyone to refuse to buy from them and let them get
> stuck with a fortune in unsold tickets.
>
> A while back my son was going to take me to a Mark Knopfler concert. The
> tickets were to go on sale at noon on a particular date. He suggested
> that I try too. I set up an account and sat there waiting for noon to
> order my tickets. Poof. The tickets were gone. Now they were available
> on Stubhub for more than double the price.

If Doug Ford feels he is incapable of enforcing something as simple as ticket scalping, how do you suppose he's going to enforce hydro rates and reduce gun and gang crimes?

The man just knows how to kill programs put in by the Liberals, but he sure as hell has no ideas or proposals for replacing the revenue he's about to lose by killing many of them. He just pissed away $2 Billion in cap&trade income and will be pissing away another $3 Billion by reducing gas taxes.

All those new programs he babbled about: hydro subsidies, subways, high-speed rail, mental health & addictions support (no doubt inspired by his brother's fails), long-term beds, dental coverage for seniors . . . . . those will all be put on hold or shelved altogether. The guy is going to give corporations, small businesses and rural areas high speed internet, but the debt hole is going to be the biggest in Ontario's history - much, much larger than anything under the Kathleen Wynne government.

'Every province deserves the government it gets'. Voters just screwed up big time in Ontario - again.