Barack Obama accused of stealing $429, 000 in Harvard financial aid, buying fancy clothes
Joe B.
2018-04-03 03:01:12 UTC
While most busy college kids might spend their days in sweats,
one student at Howard University was a notable exception: He's
accused of stealing $429,000 in financial aid from 2011 to 2017
to buy fancy clothes.

https://twitter.com/miss_boombostic/status/979095556869025793/ph
oto/1

Tyrone’s Fur Coat
@miss_boombostic
The Wolf Of 6th Street #HowardUniversity #Tyrone

1:39 PM - Mar 28, 2018
599
262 people are talking about this

https://twitter.com/tethegreat/status/979032151646613504/photo/1

M’DYKU ????
@tethegreat
When you pass ya homeless classmates otw to brunch

9:27 AM - Mar 28, 2018
7,131
4,118 people are talking about this

E.
?

@mooreog_
Mar 28
More
Replying to @tethegreat
LMAO at the black lives matter sign while he ironically stole
from his peers ??

1 reply 8 retweets 31 likes
Reply 1 Retweet 8 Like 31

https://twitter.com/DarrenNesbitt/status/979101088325529601/phot
o/1

CorEy Townsend
@JarrieBradshaw
28 Mar
No but seriously, is Tyrone having a yard sale before he goes to
jail? pic.twitter.com/HScQYVpMYV

Darren
@DarrenNesbitt
pic.twitter.com/g389LBT0C2

2:01 PM - Mar 28, 2018 · Manhattan, NY

Students of the historically black university in Washington,
D.C. are protesting on Friday over the incident, as well as a
larger scandal alleging financial mishandlings which came to
light just recently, NBC Washington is reporting.

On March 27, an anonymous writer by the name of “Veritas 1867”
(in a likely nod to the school’s motto and founding year) posted
a bombshell report to Medium claiming that $1 million in
financial aid was diverted between 2013 and 2017.

The writer suggested that Howard University President Wayne
Fredrick and his administration have been aware of this fraud
since May 2017, and points out that at least seven senior-level
financial aid officials “have either resigned or been quietly
removed” since then.

Two individuals allegedly involved in the scam were identified
by name: Brian Johnson, former associate director of financial
aid, and law student Tyrone Hankerson Jr., who purportedly
received roughly $429,612 in grants and various scholarships
through his undergraduate and graduate years at the school.

In addition to a $65,000 “University Need Based Grant” to a
$22,683 “Mock Trial Scholarship,” as well as a $21,000 “Trustee
scholarship,” a $6,000 “study abroad scholarship,” and a $5,645
university grant, the Medium story claims that Hankerson
received additional financial aid awards and massive stipends
from Office of Student Life & Activities and the Student
Employment program.

If true, such large grants for a single student are bizarre, as
costs to attend the private institution in 2017-2018 tuition
round out at $43,501 between tuition, mandatory fees, and room
and board, according to their website.

HUSA
@HUSAssociation
We are frustrated to see the University’s statement being sent
to the press and not addressed to students first. This clearly
is a betrayal of our trust and should’ve been addressed to the
Howard Community months ago.
https://twitter.com/msainat1/status/979013337869676544 …

8:23 AM - Mar 28, 2018
319
244 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
“I was alerted in December 2016 that there may have been some
misappropriation of University-provided financial aid funds,”
President Frederick said statement on March 28, assuring
students that funds embezzled from 2007 to 2016 by university
employees did not result in a loss of student financial aid.

However, Howard collegians largely aren’t buying it.

https://twitter.com/BenjaminEnfield/status/979048169987366913/ph
oto/1

24/7 HipHop News
?
@BenjaminEnfield
This man stole $429,000 in Financial Aid at Howard.

Tyrone Hankerson, a student-employee in the Financial Aid
office. Set to graduate! & Got caught

This photo was found on his Facebook

10:30 AM - Mar 28, 2018
4,216
3,219 people are talking about this

“We are frustrated to see the University’s statement being sent
to the press and not addressed to students first,” the student
association tweeted that day. “This clearly is a betrayal of our
trust and should’ve been addressed to the Howard Community
months ago.”

https://twitter.com/StyleByTariq/status/979063567944159232/photo
/1

Tariq Sayed
?

@StyleByTariq
Follow Follow @StyleByTariq
More
Tyrone Hankerson Jr. stole $429,000 from Howard University.

Months away from graduation and the scam went south.

Mink Coats, Designer Bags, personal videographer and media team.
Everyone say hello to the FINESSE GOD TYRONE.

M.
@SimplyyLee
This Howard University tea is hot ?? My poor mother, breaking
her back to pay all my "back balances" every semester fighting
to register me into classes. Whole time y'all stealing money..
I'm disgusted.

10:11 PM - Mar 27, 2018
2,830
1,051 people are talking about this

bonita applebum
@Bruh_SheAPoodle
The Tyrone Hankerson situation upsets me to the core bc there
has been MANY times during my dealings w/ Howard I sat up at
night & cried HARD bc financial aid played w/ my livelihood.
Yet, dude got a smooth $430K w/o being noticed. I want
reparations. ??

9:24 AM - Mar 28, 2018 · Philadelphia, PA
6,784
2,073 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Meanwhile, Twitter is having a field day with Hankerson — or the
“Wolf of Sixth Street,” as one Twitter critic calls him — as he
also ran a fashion blog and was known to wear expensive clothes,
Yahoo Lifestyle reports. Though he’s since deleted all of his
social media accounts, stylish photos of Hankerson are quickly
circulating. Some were quick to mock Hankerson, but others were
sickened by the injustice of the situation.

“My poor mother, breaking her back to pay all my "back balances"
every semester fighting to register me into classes. Whole time
y'all stealing money.. I'm disgusted,” one Twitter user wrote.

https://twitter.com/AshGotThis/status/978829128202883073/photo/1

Tyrone ran off with my financial aid
@AshGotThis
Tyrone Hankerson is that you? The same Tyrone that got $429,000
in financial aid? This you chilling on the boat???

8:00 PM - Mar 27, 2018
1,416
893 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"The Tyrone Hankerson situation upsets me to the core bc there
has been MANY times during my dealings w/ Howard I sat up at
night & cried HARD bc financial aid played w/ my livelihood,"
another Howard Law alumni wrote. "Yet, dude got a smooth $430K
w/o being noticed. I want reparations."

https://twitter.com/DeaconIzzy/status/979016844995678208/photo/1

Hankerson denied the allegations against him through his lawyer
with a statement to ABC News.

“When the truth comes out, it will be confirmed that I followed
all rules and protocol with the approval of the, then, financial
aid officers in any grants, scholarships or awards given to me
as a student who attended class all year round and traveled
abroad,” the statement said. “[T]he story that was posted this
morning fails to explain the full scope of my 7-year experience
at Howard University and is most misleading if taken out of
context.”

As Blavity notes, if the allegations are true, Hankerson was
brazen to slam the student-loan debt crisis a few years ago when
he was a graduating senior. In an April 2015 interview,
Hankerson said that his work-study position in Howard’s Office
of Financial Aid has given him insight to a larger national
issue.

“For many of my classmates, their families simply do not have
the financial resources to pay for college,” he said at a
student debt forum convened by Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth
Warren and Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings. “What I have witnessed
in my role are determined students who try their hardest to find
a way through.”

"They search high and low for scholarships, they take classes
over the summer at cheaper rates so they can graduate on time,
they take semesters off, and they come back, and sometimes, when
all has failed them, they are left with no option but to give
up," he said at the time.

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2018/03/30/howard-university-
student-allegedly-stole-429000-in-financial-aid-to-buy-
clothes.html
Dhu on Gate
2018-04-03 19:52:06 UTC
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 05:01:12 +0200, Joe B. wrote:

[much blather with nothing about Barack O deleted]

Blah bla blag...
As Blavity notes, if the allegations are true, Hankerson was brazen to
slam the student-loan debt crisis a few years ago when he was a graduating
senior. In an April 2015 interview,
Hankerson said that his work-study position in Howard’s Office of
Financial Aid has given him insight to a larger national issue.
WTF Cares? More dreck from the spuzzbots at Facefuk, eh?