Why Is the American Far Right More Violent Than the American Far Left?
Add Reply
Violent Rightists Hate America
2017-10-06 00:56:18 UTC
Why Is the American Far Right More Violent Than the American
Far Left?

MAGAZINESUBSCRIBE

Facebook
Why Is the American Far Right More Violent Than the American
Far Left?
BY BRIAN BEUTLER
June 9, 2014
Between September 11, 2001 and March 2014, right-wing
extremists killed 34 people in America. If you count the three
Jewish community members Frazier Glenn Cross killed in Kansas
City before screaming "Heil Hitler" as police arrested him this
past April, the tally jumps to 37. And it hits 40 when you add
the two policemen and lone civilian who died this weekend when
Jerad and Amanda Miller launched their Las Vegas revolution.
The officers were eating lunch at a pizza restaurant, treading
on no one, when they were shot dead and draped in a Gadsden
flag. The civilian at the nearby Wal-Mart, Joseph Wilcox, was
armed and ready to put an end to Jerad's rampage, but didn't
know Amanda was armed as well. Turns out a good guy with a gun
is the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, unless the bad
guy's wife happens to have a gun, too.

And it's true. There are 320-or-so million people in the United
States, over 30 million more than lived here on September 11,
2001. Forty people isn't very many. Among causes of death in
the U.S., right-wing violence must rank near the bottom.

But 40 people is more than zero people, which is the number
that have been killed by left-wing extremists over the same
stretch. As NAF's Peter Bergen wrote recently, "although a
variety of left wing militants and environmental extremists
have carried out violent attacks for political reasons against
property and individuals since 9/11, none have been linked to a
lethal attack."

Something must account for the difference. The violent right in
America might not be a huge threat to public safety, but it
still has a body count.

I'm inclined to believe the answer is written into the DNA of
conservative extremism—that deeply conservative people are more
politically tribal than others, and more inclined to confront
cognitive dissonance by entertaining conspiracy theories and
cocooning themselves in communities with like-minded true
believers. I'm peddling an incredibly amateur sociology. But if
I'm right, it implies that the reactionary nature of the
American far right is the cause, not the consequence, of the
observable differences in tone and substance between
conservative and liberal rhetoric in the U.S.. Or of the vast
differences between liberal and conservative American media.

And if that's the case, it probably wouldn't change much if
Republican politicians became a bit more measured in their
attacks on Democrats, Democratic policies, liberalism and so
on. If anything, it's probably more accurate to say that
Republicans engage in overheated, apocalyptic rhetoric to
remain in good standing with these fixed elements of their
political coalition than that they actively engender the
underlying beliefs.

But to the extent that they have any control at all over the
temperature on the right, the responsible thing to do is turn
it down. That we can't accurately attribute any particular
hurricane to the warming of the planet likewise doesn't absolve
us of our responsibility to emit fewer heat-trapping gases.

And here's where I expect conservatives will respond by
pointing out that Democrats have said totally outrageous stuff,
too! But I don't think it's bathing the left in glory to say
that the basic narrative Democrats propound about the right is
far less provocative than the fire-stoking that Republicans
engage in.

The basic story Democrats tell voters about Republicans and
their donors is that they're plutocrats who don't really care
about poor and middle class people, and are deeply beholden to
an increasingly aged, increasingly resentful white base.

The GOP's story about Democrats is a bit more diffuse, but it
tends toward invocations of tyranny. They'll take your
(money/guns/freedoms/lives). Pick your poison.

When Democrats tried to pass an extremely modest gun law in the
aftermath of the Newtown massacre, Ted Cruz said the real goal
was "a federal list of every gun owner in America." When
Democrats more recently proposed a constitutional amendment to
effectively reverse the consequences of the Citizens United
ruling, he said they were trying to "repeal the First
Amendment."

Paul Waldman cited Senator Ron Johnson, who lamented last year
that the survival of the Affordable Care Act had denied the
country its "last shred of freedom." But you could just as
easily cite the "death panel" smear from the beginning of
Obama's presidency or the martyrization of Cliven Bundy just a
few weeks ago, and a dozen other misbegotten efforts in
between. If I bought into all of it, I'd probably take certain
paranoid suspicions of the American far right more seriously.

As it happens, Jerad Miller was one of Bundy's avengers, until
he was booted for being a convicted felon. A bunch of people
have pored through his Facebook page already, to learn more
about his political leanings. For whatever reason, I was most
interested in seeing what he'd posted just before and after the
2012 election. I learned, among other things, that he was a Ron
Paul-ite, who supported libertarian Gary Johnson over
Republican Mitt Romney. He bought in to all of the familiar
conspiracy theories—the really fringe stuff, but also things
like Benghazi, which Republican politicians continue to inflame
to this day. He likewise believed that, "[O]bama is forcing
hobby lobby to pay for abortions." His wife once worked there.
He worried she "may not have a job soon. thanks all who voted
for him. idiots, i cant wait for your food stamps to get taken
away in major austerity programs that will be affecting you
soon."

If you believe that law enforcement and IRS officers are agents
of a fascist takeover of the country, then your
misapprehensions about Benghazi, or the Affordable Care Act,
welfare, and various forms of contraception probably aren't
your biggest concern. But your paranoia has been well fed
anyhow. And needlessly so.

Brian Beutler is a senior editor at The New Republic. He hosts
Primary Concerns, a podcast about politics.

https://newrepublic.com/article/118067/las-vegas-shooters-
right-wing-beliefs-inflamed-gop
Sgt. Rock
2017-10-06 03:49:59 UTC
Post by Violent Rightists Hate America
Why Is the American Far Right More Violent Than the American
Far Left?
They're not, albasani whore.

Why do you SPAM a dozen groups and then set the followups to only 1?

When I find you, I WILL fuck you up BIG TIME!

Book it.

news.albasani.net;
logging-data="GghALCOIIntak1WFOxOPSraAhpeYEOC9oOXcBM3iT9N9C3Dtsrapbb50tFgsOiR0w9gFc8s2lz6QOsm1cQa+zQRYSypnX3MLdEIJ7jZuj0T4l3ImL5ViawksONsSA7zR";
mail-complaints-to="***@albasani.net"