New Anti-Gang Initiatives From The BC NDP Govt?
Greg Carr
2017-08-22 16:25:57 UTC
A Surrey MLA is hinting initiatives are on the way to help tackle escalating gun violence across the region.

Surrey-Whalley NDP MLA Bruce Ralston says the solicitor-general is expected to make an announcement soon.

“There are some plans in the works that I expect he will be announcing fairly shortly,” he said.

“There are some measures that will be taken, I’m not sure what the timeline is there, but I’m expecting we will make some progress.”

Last week, solicitor general Mike Farnworth said he was presenting options to cabinet, but wouldn’t elaborate on details.

He added that a report on how illegal guns are filtering into Canada will be ready by the end of September.

Meanwhile, Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner said police are working hard behind the scenes to tackle the gang problem, but that they aren’t getting much cooperation.

“I am really optimistic that they’re getting the investigative work done but I still maintain that you can’t have a victim who is unwilling to speak and still call them a victim. I think at that point in time they’re more ancillary to the problem.”

READ MORE: Security video appears to capture brazen daytime Surrey shooting

Hepner added that things seem quieter in her city after police and politicians spoke out last week following a series of shootings and shots fired incidents.

“It’s so regional in scope that one can only hope that somebody is listening.”

Farnworth and Hepner met last week to discuss the response to ongoing gang violence in the city.

The pair also made an appeal to the public and gang members’ families to break the code of silence they say is protecting criminals and hampering police work.

© 2017 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3671247/new-anti-gang-initiatives-due-fairly-shortly-surrey-mla/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=Outbrain&utm_campaign=2015
How about a mandatory 20 year sentence for illegal possession of a firearm or the use of a firearm in commission with a criminal offence. Even most criminals don't use a handgun or automatic weapon.

A poll done in Surrey last year stated one third of residents would not call the RCMP in relation to a criminal matter. That number is probably higher when the HAMC or other criminal gangs are involved. Gus
Shop at 13525 King George Hwy in the Whalley section of Surrey is owned by a full patch HAer and I was once threatened with a stabbing by a young Indo male on the same block fortunately his much bigger partner freaked out.

I contacted the RCMP District 3 office about death threats HA git Tom Strenja, whose Dad is a HAMC associate, made against my family. They did nothing until I was arrested on a related matter. They dropped the charges and apologized. Last I heard Strenja was in jail awaiting trial for shooting a woman twice.

https://www.missioncityrecord.com/news/two-men-charged-with-attempted-murder-after-shooting-in-mission/
Eric©
2017-08-23 02:07:29 UTC
Greg Carr wrote...
Post by Greg Carr
A Surrey MLA is hinting initiatives are on the way to help tackle escalating gun violence across the region.
Surrey-Whalley NDP MLA Bruce Ralston says the solicitor-general is expected to make an announcement soon.
?There are some plans in the works that I expect he will be announcing fairly shortly,? he said.
?There are some measures that will be taken, I'm not sure what the timeline is there,
but I'm expecting we will make some progress.?
Last week, solicitor general Mike Farnworth said he was presenting options to cabinet,
but wouldn't elaborate on details.
He added that a report on how illegal guns are filtering into Canada will be ready by the end of September.
[snip]

I know! I know!

Just like the way legalizing drugs and giving them away for free along with syringes etc.
will deal with the overdose problem, the gov't will be giving away FREE HANDGUNS to
anyone who wants one, in a surefire way to deal with the gang problem.

Do I win something?