TURMEL: Stuerm offered early release to drop pot appeal to Supreme Court
Add Reply
John KingofthePaupers Turmel
2017-10-10 17:27:18 UTC
TURMEL: Stuerm offered early release to drop pot appeal to Supreme Court

JCT: This morning, I posted a note at my Facebook page:
Adrian Stuerm is still in jail. Seems he can't be
considered for release after 1/6th because the Crown
hasn't forwarded his file to the jail. Just like Health
Canada gets people by slowing down the paperwork. I'll let
you know when the file reaches the jail and then I'll ask
Crown Maxime Lacourciere why he took that long.

This afternoon, Adrian called Ray to say that he had been
offered early release if he abandoned his plans to file an
application to the Supreme Court of Canada for leave to
appeal. Of course, he was told to jump on it. Supreme Court
never lets us in so we may as well trade a threat for
something real.

The error of the Quebec Court of Appeal, ruling on the motion
wrong, is so obvious that it really doesn't need to be brought
to the attention of the Supreme Court. Besides, they've
rejected the dozens of Applications for Leave I've filed over
the years as not of national interest to he heard. Don't
really expect anything more from them anyway.

So Adrian will trade off the threat of appealing to the top,
nice to know they're afraid. Guess they don't realize that
Nicolas Fontana is in the Court of Appeal with the same appeal
grounds as Adrian had including the Charter Motion Adrian had
to give up because I cited the wrong MMAR regime. Though the
Quash Motion cited the right MMPR regime!

There's hope Adrian could be back with his family by end of
week. Though I wasn't aware that the Prosecutor had any say in
prison questions once he was in prison. But if giving up on an
appeal pleases the Crown enough to use back channels to
influence jailers, we'll take it.
Dhu on Gate
2017-10-11 18:21:38 UTC
Post by John KingofthePaupers Turmel
So Adrian will trade off the threat of appealing to the top,
nice to know they're afraid.
It might also be possible that the Court has decided not to waste the
money. I know it's an overly optimistic assessment, but it's nice to
believe someone's trying to do "the right thing".