The not-so-awful truth about gun violence
2018-07-10 15:54:36 UTC
But if we want to reduce gun crime, we should target the bad guys, rather
than spreading our resources far and wide. The number of violent criminals
is quite small, and violent crime – as awkward as it is to say so – is
generally restricted to a few neighbourhoods and population groups.
Seventy-five per cent of Toronto’s shootings are gang-related, according to
the mayor. Go after the guns and gangs, and you’re going after the biggest
root causes of all.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-not-so-awful-truth-about-gun-violence/

Police know who most of the gangbangers are, and they should be getting a
lot of personal attention: carded every 15 minutes when they're in public,
pulled over every kilometer when they're driving, and where ever they spend
a night, they should be rousted at 5:00 AM every morning with a search
warrant.
Byker
2018-07-10 21:24:52 UTC

Hence the popularity of "stop and frisk": https://tinyurl.com/hrvbf42

Add in shaven-headed Hispanics with tattoos...
Eric@
2018-07-11 02:34:28 UTC
M.I.Wakefield wrote:

> But if we want to reduce gun crime, we should target the bad guys, rather
> than spreading our resources far and wide. The number of violent criminals
> is quite small, and violent crime ? as awkward as it is to say so ? is
> generally restricted to a few neighbourhoods and population groups.
> Seventy-five per cent of Toronto?s shootings are gang-related, according to
> the mayor. Go after the guns and gangs, and you?re going after the biggest
> root causes of all.
[snip]

But that might be racist.